PDA

View Full Version : Visited my Spyder today

Pennyrick
04-08-2015, 11:31 AM
My RT has been in the dealer's hands for about three weeks now waiting on parts from Canada. It went in for the 28,000 mile service but I had four specific complaints that also needed to be addressed and three of those four required parts to fix them (all under warranty thank goodness) and the third was simple.

I had complained about a noise that sounded like a speedometer cable that needed lubrication but since the Spyder is fly by wire, there are no cables. Turned out it was leaves. Somehow leaves had come in under the tupperware on the left side and once air began to flow over and around them, the noise began.

So that got fixed and the other items are being worked on as I write this. One of the parts we were waiting (boots) had to be manufactured so that was the source of the delay.

While visiting my Spyder in intensive care the tech pointed out where the belt had trapped a good sized rock in the sprocket and it was lodged there. He managed to pry the rock out and the sprocket seems okay but the belt has three teeth that are worn on one side. His advice (since there is no belt in stock and we want to leave on a trip later this month) is to leave it for the next service interval and then replace the belt. He is comfortable that it will stand up for a few more thousand miles. I trust him so I am going to wait until then.

I should be back on the road just in time to get the full brunt of Georgia's pine pollen in my eyes and nose later this week.

Gator37
04-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Well my new Spyder sits in my garage and I go out and look at it every day and dream of getting out on the road again. My knee surgery is just about to where I can get my leg over it, so won't be long. Sat. I have scheduled to install a Bump skid with the imbedded lights, and Ron's sway bar. SOON!:yes:

ARtraveler
04-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Hang in there. It's never fun when the :spyder2: is at the shop and awaiting parts.

Bob Denman
04-08-2015, 11:45 AM
:shocked: I'm also still looking at mine...

...But; we're getting the rain that we need to clean off the roads! :yes:

Sunday... :pray:

MarkLawson
04-08-2015, 11:54 AM
In the 80's all week...

can-am sam
04-08-2015, 01:33 PM
Waiting is so hard!:gaah:

Bob Denman
04-08-2015, 01:43 PM
:agree: :shocked: :banghead:

oldguyinTX
04-08-2015, 02:07 PM
My RT has been sitting in my garage leaking coolant for a week while I wait for my service appointment next Tuesday. Who knows how long it will take to get whatever parts are needed. Hoses or clamps I would think would be in dealer stock, but if the coolant tank is cracked it will be a different story. The dealer won't order a coolant tank on the off chance that it is in fact the problem, and I really can't blame them for not wanting to order - and pay for - a part that may or may not be needed. The wait goes on, as it has the last two riding seasons. Then there is the upcoming RT "fix" in May. I can't even begin to guess how long it will be at the dealer for that, and they have no idea either, as dealers don't yet know what the "fix" is. The wait goes on........

Chupaca
04-08-2015, 03:07 PM
sorry to hear of the delays..they should order from cheapcycleparts.com rather than brp...:roflblack::roflblack: they have better stock..but soon you'll be out there in your surgical mask...:roflblack:

garb55
04-08-2015, 03:50 PM
My RT has been in the dealer's hands for about three weeks now waiting on parts from Canada. It went in for the 28,000 mile service but I had four specific complaints that also needed to be addressed and three of those four required parts to fix them (all under warranty thank goodness) and the third was simple.

I had complained about a noise that sounded like a speedometer cable that needed lubrication but since the Spyder is fly by wire, there are no cables. Turned out it was leaves. Somehow leaves had come in under the tupperware on the left side and once air began to flow over and around them, the noise began.

So that got fixed and the other items are being worked on as I write this. One of the parts we were waiting (boots) had to be manufactured so that was the source of the delay.

While visiting my Spyder in intensive care the tech pointed out where the belt had trapped a good sized rock in the sprocket and it was lodged there. He managed to pry the rock out and the sprocket seems okay but the belt has three teeth that are worn on one side. His advice (since there is no belt in stock and we want to leave on a trip later this month) is to leave it for the next service interval and then replace the belt. He is comfortable that it will stand up for a few more thousand miles. I trust him so I am going to wait until then.

I should be back on the road just in time to get the full brunt of Georgia's pine pollen in my eyes and nose later this week.

Do they have certain visiting hours like a hostital

Pennyrick
04-08-2015, 04:23 PM
My RT has been sitting in my garage leaking coolant for a week while I wait for my service appointment next Tuesday. Who knows how long it will take to get whatever parts are needed. Hoses or clamps I would think would be in dealer stock, but if the coolant tank is cracked it will be a different story. The dealer won't order a coolant tank on the off chance that it is in fact the problem, and I really can't blame them for not wanting to order - and pay for - a part that may or may not be needed. The wait goes on, as it has the last two riding seasons. Then there is the upcoming RT "fix" in May. I can't even begin to guess how long it will be at the dealer for that, and they have no idea either, as dealers don't yet know what the "fix" is. The wait goes on........

One of my four 'other' reasons for taking it in was a coolant leak.

Turned out to be a hairline crack on a housing going into the tank or the engine (I'm not sure which) that had to come from Canada. It only dripped when there was no pressure on it but once the line got pressure the crack apparently closed up. Tech that found it told me it was only a matter of time before it blew apart and left me stranded.

Cruzr Joe
04-08-2015, 04:23 PM
I left out of my house this morning at 7 AM and drove o Monroe LA. to get some papers signed and drove back home, about 400 miles round trip, whole lot of bugs had to die to make this trip possible.

Cruzr Joe

Pennyrick
04-08-2015, 04:30 PM
Do they have certain visiting hours like a hostital

My dealer is very, very fussy about who goes into the repair area. A few year's ago I got the 'it voids our insurance' argument but once I got to know them better they explained that they want to keep folks out who may be bugging the techs with stupid questions.

When I argued that the only way to get smarter customers was to let them ask stupid questions I got an okay to enter if I behave.

Now, I take a couple of dozen doughnuts into the service department when I come to visit and I drop them off at the nurse's station. Then I carefully listen to what the doctors and nurses tell me and try not to make a nuisance of myself.