PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Harness Question

R&B
04-07-2015, 07:08 PM
I have purchased an after-market trailer and wiring harness and need some info/help. Where is the OEM wire harness plug located on a 2011 RT? The wiring harness manufacturer says that the one I purchased will plug directly into the Spyder's harness.
Thanks in advance for the help.:sour:

mustangbob
04-08-2015, 07:19 AM
I'm putting a hitch on this week also (oem), the pictures look like it's under the seat to the rear of the battery, but I could be wrong. Anyone out there know for sure?

lyonsden
04-08-2015, 08:23 AM
My spyder is a 2011 RT and I put the OEM hitch and harness on and I remember having to take the rear panels under the trunk off and then you have to at least take loose the left hand passenger grab bar and pull it back. The hookup is under the passenger seat area after you get everything out of the way. The OEM trailer plug mounts under the left saddle bag. Hope that helps.

mustangbob
04-08-2015, 08:33 AM
it helps, the pict-o-gram instructions shows the plug but are close up pics, your answer makes it clearer. thanks again.

billybovine
04-08-2015, 08:36 AM
I have purchased an after-market trailer and wiring harness and need some info/help. Where is the OEM wire harness plug located on a 2011 RT? The wiring harness manufacturer says that the one I purchased will plug directly into the Spyder's harness.
Thanks in advance for the help.:sour:

What kind of harness did you get? Aftermarket harnesses that I have seen do not plug in the same way and location as the OE harness. So brand? Maybe some pictures?

R&B
04-08-2015, 09:43 AM
What kind of harness did you get? Aftermarket harnesses that I have seen do not plug in the same way and location as the OE harness. So brand? Maybe some pictures?

Here is a picture. I bought it off of Amazon and the info says that it will plug right into the Spyder's harness. I don't have it yet, but I'll let you know how it goes.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81dZHpG1lCL._SX425_.jpg
Show Chrome Accessories 41-162 Trailer Wire Harness

R&B
04-08-2015, 09:47 AM
My spyder is a 2011 RT and I put the OEM hitch and harness on and I remember having to take the rear panels under the trunk off and then you have to at least take loose the left hand passenger grab bar and pull it back. The hookup is under the passenger seat area after you get everything out of the way. The OEM trailer plug mounts under the left saddle bag. Hope that helps.

Thanks. I should have everything next week and I have a mechanic willing to help so I'll let you know how it goes.

billybovine
04-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Here is a picture. I bought it off of Amazon and the info says that it will plug right into the Spyder's harness. I don't have it yet, but I'll let you know how it goes.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81dZHpG1lCL._SX425_.jpg
Show Chrome Accessories 41-162 Trailer Wire Harness

That is the show chrome harness from big bike parts. It has 2 Y- connectors to plug in between at both tail lights, a power line that needs to be hooked up to a 12v power source and a ground cable. A little harder to hook up than a OE harness but a lot cheaper. There is no trailer plug that comes with it. So you will need to buy one of those to match your trailer. Available at most auto parts store. If the trailer needs a 5 wire flat or something similar for example, (turn and brake separate) then that is all you need extra. If your trailer takes a 4 wire flat or something similar, (turn and brake combined) then you need a simple converter module. Also available from an auto parts store.