PDA

View Full Version : RF interference from USB power ports

sscheuer47
04-07-2015, 06:49 PM
I have added two USB power ports to supply power to two cameras and they are getting power from battery through a FZ-1. The USB's are causing RF interference.
It was suggested to me that I put a 25 ohm 5 watt resistor on the positive side. Local Radio Shack is going out of business and does not stock. Anyone know where to get this resistor?

stevedfive
04-07-2015, 07:19 PM
You should try a RF Ferrite Snap Choke.

ThreeWheels
04-07-2015, 08:19 PM

I have no idea what he's talking about, but I'd bet real money he's right.

Highwayman2013
04-07-2015, 08:40 PM

Sounds like a left handed smoke shifter.

stevedfive
04-07-2015, 10:15 PM
Two for $5.99. The magnets eliminate the excessive static that cause the RF interference noise.

Oldfox
04-07-2015, 10:20 PM
They look like one of these available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Movable-Inner-Diameter-Black-Ferrite/dp/B007Q94DBK/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1428462831&sr=1-1&keywords=rf+choke

Hope you can follow the link.

Order one for each cable to fit the diameter of the cable.

markyodo
04-08-2015, 05:34 AM
Parts Express has been my go to store for audio / video / cabling for years.
Here is your part.
http://www.parts-express.com/25-ohm-5w-resistor-wire-wound-5-tolerance--015-25

finless
04-08-2015, 08:09 AM
Mouser electronics

www.mouser.com

Now I will add. You don't really say what is getting interference? The cameras?
If so and the 12V run is long (like from front of the Spyder to the back), then chokes or a resistor may not help. You might have to use shielded cable and ground the shielding at both ends as the wire is acting like an antenna.

Bob

Highwayman2013
04-08-2015, 08:17 AM
Two for $5.99. The magnets eliminate the excessive static that cause the RF interference noise.
Is that what those things are on some cables. Always learning.

Cyclist922
04-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Is that what those things are on some cables. Always learning.

Yep. Ferrite inductors have been a standard way of shielding for years.

bluestratos
04-08-2015, 06:40 PM
What system is being affeted by the RF noise?

sscheuer47
04-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. It is nice knowing there are some electrical savy spyderriders around.

I get the radio static whenever I plug into the rear usb power plug to get power to the rear camera. The usb plug has several feet of +wire and -wire. The Garmin Virb camera works fine.

Should I use both the magnets and the resistor?

ursamajor35126
04-08-2015, 09:23 PM
It may be the quality of the USB cables you are using. I'd try another mfg of cable if you're getting interference from the factory jacks. :hun:

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-09-2015, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the replies. It is nice knowing there are some electrical savy spyderriders around.

I get the radio static whenever I plug into the rear usb power plug to get power to the rear camera. The usb plug has several feet of +wire and -wire. The Garmin Virb camera works fine.

Are you plugging a USB power adapter into the 12 volt outlet in the trunk? If not, what are the + and - wires connected to? USB adapters emit RF noise if they are not made properly. Your best bet may be to try different USB adapters until you find one that doesn't emit so much RF noise. Also, keep the USB adapters and cables away from the antenna as far as possible. I ran into that problem when I was conjuring up a USB power supply for my tablet GPS. The first one connected directly to the power leads coming from the radio. That fed RF noise right into the radio. I ended up with a USB adapter in the area just above the coolant bottle and run the USB cable to the dash.

sscheuer47
04-09-2015, 07:39 AM
To be clear, the magnets are attached to the radio antenna wire? Is that correct? Perhaps adding to the USB cable also will help?

I am using a 'Panel Tapp' Usb power port located below the left passenger hand rail. The power and ground wires run to a FZ1 located front left of bike. The Usb cable runs along the rear seatback up to the camera located on top of the truck lid.

I replaced the OEM antenna with a hidden antenna located inside the rear panel just below the rear truck handle opener.

Good reception on radio until camera USB cable is plugged in providing power to the camera, then some static with lower volume. No problrms with camera.

sscheuer47
04-09-2015, 09:10 AM
Thanks to all who have responded.

Some quick research on 'RF Ferrite Snap Choke' shows that not only the size of the hole for the cable but also there are three types.

Have seen these on computer type cables.

Question: Would the same type be used for the power cable, USB cable as well as the radio antenna cable on the RT?

sscheuer47
04-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Chokes and resistors ordered from above recommended sites. Also ordered a PDM60. All work will have to wait until after we get back from Spyderfest.

Phil
04-23-2015, 11:12 AM
A lot of the USB and other power supplies use what is called a 'chopper' circuit to take the 12vdc down to 5vdc. They call it a chopper because it chops out parts of the 12vdc, and reassembles it to make the 5vdc (trust me). They work well, but some can put our RF interference like you are seeing. The resister simply adds 'load' to the circuit thus dampening the chop. Somewhat.

The 'magnets' you are talking about are not really magnets. They are ferrite cores (aka chokes). They come in snap on versions and doughnut type. If you are trying to suppress RF noise, you would put these on anything EXCEPT the antenna! The antenna WANTS to receive RF. You can put them on the USB cable, on 12vdc wires, etc. The ferrite cores act like high frequency absorbers.

There's another old trick we used in broadcast and that was to tie knots in wires when we couldn't get our hands on the ferrite cores right away.

eddieshep999
05-16-2015, 09:58 AM
I am getting Radio interference on My Spyder Radio when I apply apply the brake otherwise it's fine
I have the HMT brake light fitted and the front fender LED's which are both running lights and function as an extra brake lights
what do I need to do/fit to stop this happenig

finless
05-16-2015, 10:34 AM
When you say radio interference, do you mean it is interfering with radio station reception? Or some form of noise coming out of the speakers?

Bob

eddieshep999
05-16-2015, 10:44 AM
I have added two USB power ports to supply power to two cameras and they are getting power from battery through a FZ-1. The USB's are causing RF interference.
It was suggested to me that I put a 25 ohm 5 watt resistor on the positive side. Local Radio Shack is going out of business and does not stock. Anyone know where to get this resistor?

There is a hiss noise and reception is lost until the brake is released
seems to do this with the brake pedal
just tried the same by applying the parking brake using the switch no interference

finless
05-16-2015, 12:06 PM
There is a hiss noise and reception is lost until the brake is released
seems to do this with the brake pedal
just tried the same by applying the parking brake using the switch no interference

Parking break does not turn on the break lights.

I would unscrew the right rear speaker box and check the radio antenna ground strap and connection.

Bob

eddieshep999
05-17-2015, 11:52 AM
Parking break does not turn on the break lights.

I would unscrew the right rear speaker box and check the radio antenna ground strap and connection.

Bob

Bob

Have done this and all connections look ok and are tight

See Picture

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107641&stc=1

Is anything I could connect in line with Aerial which would block the interference but allow all Radio Stations to work

finless
05-17-2015, 11:57 AM
Did you also check that the antenna plugs are mated at the radio?
Pull the cover off over the radio and there is a standard type antenna plug set in there. Pull it apart and clean it inside.
There was a water intrusion fix (service bulletin) a while back that the dealer should have done. It puts heat shrink around that antenna connector so no water gets in it and keeps it from coming loose due to vibration.

Other than that I am stumped. Only thing I can think of is some ground issue for the radio.......

Bob

jthornton
05-17-2015, 02:20 PM
You might have to use shielded cable and ground the shielding at both ends as the wire is acting like an antenna.

Bob

Hi Bob,

If you ground both ends of a shielded cable you create a current loop and that is not good. You only ground one end of a shielded cable so it drains. I've been working with analog signal cables (twisted pair shielded) for years and every time someone has a signal problem I find that they have grounded the shield on both ends.

JT

PaladinLV
05-17-2015, 02:59 PM
I would STRONGLY suggest an alternate approach.
RF Choke
Ferrite Isolators
"Magnets"
Etc.

As other riders have suggested.
My personal favorites are Ferrite Isolators or RF Chokes.

AJ

eddieshep999
08-28-2015, 05:00 PM
I am getting Radio interference on My Spyder Radio when I apply apply the brake otherwise it's fine
I have the HMT brake light fitted and the front fender LED's which are both running lights and function as an extra brake lights
what do I need to do/fit to stop this happenig

UPDATE

Took my Spyder RT SE6 2015 Model for the 3,000 Service explained the radio problem and they sorted it out
It was the Sidecase LED's they had been set up as both running lights & brake lights via an interface. It was the braking function that was causing the interference, they changed it so the Sidecase LED,s would only function as running lights and Radio reception is now working without interference when the brakes are operated I am happy with the outcome

Peter Aawen
09-16-2015, 11:19 AM
I know it's a bit odd for this to occur, but are you sure the interference wasn't there before you fitted the LED's?? My 2013 RT has exhibited similar radio interference whenever the radio has been tuned to any AM station since delivery; no LED's at all; earths, etc all present, correct, & sound.... but whenever I press the brake pedal, harsh static from the radio, ONLY if it's tuned to an AM station?!?

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-16-2015, 03:43 PM
I think this issue of radio static deserves more attention. I've had static, i.e., poor reception, on FM ever since I got the bike. If I turn the engine off with the kill switch so all the other power stays on, the static disappears and reception is good. Just recently I noticed an increase in static noise. Because of the comment above about LEDs today I turned off my LED foglights and the new static quit. I turned them on and off several times and sure enough, the static disappeared every time I turned them off. These are LED auxiliary lights from SuperBright LEDs and are connected into the OEM foglight connectors with an OEM type switch in the OEM switch location. There must be something in the LED circuitry that emits an RF noise and it's gotten more intense in the past few weeks.

I'll be sending SB LEDs a question about this.

Magdave
09-16-2015, 04:45 PM
Hi Bob,

If you ground both ends of a shielded cable you create a current loop and that is not good. You only ground one end of a shielded cable so it drains. I've been working with analog signal cables (twisted pair shielded) for years and every time someone has a signal problem I find that they have grounded the shield on both ends.

JT

:agree:100%

styck
04-08-2017, 10:03 PM
I have the same problem after I recently installed LED fog lights and LED trm rings. Turn on fog lights, radio volumn decreases with static. Turn off fog lights, radio goes back to normal. Others have installed these with nothing but great reviews. Will work with seller to try and fugue out a solution.

h100250
09-13-2017, 09:36 AM
I realize this is an old thread but I seem to have the same problem on my wife's 2017 F3T when turning on the fog lights the radio reception stops :shocked: and all that can be heard is a hiss, turn them off and radio plays as expected :dontknow:. I have read about the RF chokes and other recommendations and will pursue that if that is the consensus of canceling out the noise.

Thanks for any help on this matter.

stevencovert
09-13-2017, 02:28 PM

HARDWARE: The Chips in the USB module that convert 12V to 5V is called a "switching supply", meaning it oscillates around 20KHz or so. This acts like a little antenna of noise if they go cheap on parts. If you can replace the USB part itself, I would look into it. I got mine at: http://spyderstore.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=61

I have no noise at all. I got the cigarette plug and the dual USB. Easy install, I'd try to fix the source of noise first!

EDIT: I also have ALL the LED's from spyderpops: High brake, rear turn signal kits, bumpskid, etc. No noise at all. Noise being injected into a harness can appear as almost anything. I may be wrong, but regular LED strips are just LED's and the current limiting resistors (one per LED). This is a DC circuit, shouldn't give noise unless it is drawing too much power (which I have yet to see on mine). Little power supplies (say for LED headlamps) are notorious for noise, it shows up on all harnesses. I have read where people had to unplug LED's to fix some Can-Bus issue (throwing a code, etc.), IMHO these probably had some little supply to convert voltages; or more than likely a bad connection. Bad connections would draw more power. Since all the products I installed from SpyderPops have the inline adaptors (plug and play), I would feel confident those should never interfere. Something you splice in, I use the same plugs and make my own inline adaptors. Splicing can get you in trouble.

Steve

h100250
09-13-2017, 04:49 PM
HARDWARE: The Chips in the USB module that convert 12V to 5V is called a "switching supply", meaning it oscillates around 20KHz or so. This acts like a little antenna of noise if they go cheap on parts. If you can replace the USB part itself, I would look into it. I got mine at: http://spyderstore.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=61

I have no noise at all. I got the cigarette plug and the dual USB. Easy install, I'd try to fix the source of noise first!

EDIT: I also have ALL the LED's from spyderpops: High brake, rear turn signal kits, bumpskid, etc. No noise at all. Noise being injected into a harness can appear as almost anything. I may be wrong, but regular LED strips are just LED's and the current limiting resistors (one per LED). This is a DC circuit, shouldn't give noise unless it is drawing too much power (which I have yet to see on mine). Little power supplies (say for LED headlamps) are notorious for noise, it shows up on all harnesses. I have read where people had to unplug LED's to fix some Can-Bus issue (throwing a code, etc.), IMHO these probably had some little supply to convert voltages; or more than likely a bad connection. Bad connections would draw more power. Since all the products I installed from SpyderPops have the inline adaptors (plug and play), I would feel confident those should never interfere. Something you splice in, I use the same plugs and make my own inline adaptors. Splicing can get you in trouble.

Steve

Thanks for the confirmation, I will purchase a few chokes as suggested and put them over the power leads to the LED fog lights and see what becomes of it.:pray: