PDA

View Full Version : Made my own "dual fill"

Mazo EMS2
04-07-2015, 06:29 PM
I saw the Dual Fill device on the site here and figured there was no way I could pass up making my own:

1- 1/8 pipe tee (free)
2- clip on air chucks ($4)
6' of 1/4" tubing (free)
1 -compressor tank-fill connector (1/8" male threaded valve stem) ($2)
4- 1/4" prestolok tubing fittings (free)

(You can decide on a 1/4" or 1/8" tee with or without reducers)

The free items listed are from my work place, but are pretty cheap at Menards or similar place.

Put two prestolok fittings in two of the tee spots
Put the compressor fill valve stem in the last open spot of the tee
Put a 1/4" prestolok fitting in each of the clip-on chucks
Run tubing between the chucks and the tee

Voila, DONE. Inflate appropriately, for $6!!! I figure it'll work great for the other vehicles too:yes:

Chupaca
04-07-2015, 07:14 PM
looks very nice..congrats..!! :2thumbs: what would it be without thefree stuff including labor..?? :roflblack::roflblack: love diy'fers

oldguyinTX
04-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Great idea!! The only thing I would have done differently would have been to use a brass tee. The one you used will eventually collect rust inside from the moisture in the compressed air.

ARCTIC
04-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Great idea!! The only thing I would have done differently would have been to use a brass tee. The one you used will eventually collect rust inside from the moisture in the compressed air.

The air compressor tank is steel

Frank G
04-08-2015, 11:47 AM
The "Wheel" gets re-invented every day. Very seldom is there an appreciation for the guy that sticks his neck out developing, testing, securing inventory, assembling, QC checks, packaging, developing a online store, promoting (paying for advertising on this site) taking a hit from PayPal, packaging for shipping, shipping and last but not least offering the customer (you) a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee. + answering all your questions before, during, and after the sale.

Who paid for the parts from your work place? :shocked:

From one small business owner to another, THANKS JT:bowdown:

sduskin
04-08-2015, 01:05 PM
I applaud the original poster. I had been trying to figure out how to do this myself. Finally got a friend of mine who owns a Heat & AC company to help me build it.

I have found that if I just buy something for $50-$60, or whatever, that I don't learn anything. By trying to do it myself, I learn more about things in general.

Frank, he didn't offer to sell it cheap, or make any for free for others. So no threat to the business model you presented.

And from what I have seen of vendors for HD and Spyder stuff in general, is that their business model appears to be limited sales volume with high margin as opposed to potentially higher sales volume with lower margin.

Frank G
04-08-2015, 01:42 PM
I applaud the original poster. I had been trying to figure out how to do this myself. Finally got a friend of mine who owns a Heat & AC company to help me build it.

I have found that if I just buy something for $50-$60, or whatever, that I don't learn anything. By trying to do it myself, I learn more about things in general.

Frank, he didn't offer to sell it cheap, or make any for free for others. So no threat to the business model you presented.

And from what I have seen of vendors for HD and Spyder stuff in general, is that their business model appears to be limited sales volume with high margin as opposed to potentially higher sales volume with lower margin.

When you support a vendor on this forum, you support this forum. Without them this forum goes away, and you no longer have to dislike me. I did not say what I said because I expected love and kisses, I said it because the OP dissected a product from a vendor on this site and posted the results, and I be leave this practice is just plane wrong.

I stand by my post.

metman
04-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Well I applaud Frank and his frankness.

MZEMS2,
Have you actually tried to use this rig? My guess is that you will probably lose a pound or two every time you try to disconnect that style of "quick disconnect". If that were the "way to go", then JT probably would have used them as I figure they are probably cheaper than the type he uses.

Now I do all my own mods and farkle installation, but normally with components supplied by our sponsors. Congratulations, you spent $20K+ on a Spyder and saved $60 by not buying JT's Dual Fill.

Good luck though, and maybe your boss won't read this and find out what you really do at work.

Mike in KY

sduskin
04-08-2015, 03:08 PM
I have and will continue to purchase from the sponsors and other vendors. They have good products and ideas.

Mazo EMS2
04-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Wow, a guy does something on his own and gets thrown under the bus. My boss does indeed know that I have the parts. I told him what I was making. In any case, I used it today as a matter of fact, and both fronts are within 1/4 of a pound according to my digital gage. Used it on my car with the same results. Sheesh, some are acting like there was a patent infringement or something. It's not like the one sold here thru a vendor is top secret. I happened to see it and thought I'd throw one together quick. Is there a law against trying things for yourself? If there was, there'd only be one version of everything you can imagine and it would all cost a fortune without competition.....I have no intention of selling the thing, or even making another one for that matter. I just shared what I did so that others could give it a whirl. After all, that's what the site is all about. And yes, I have supported several of the sponsoring vendors on the site by purchasing products from them.
Good grief! :banghead:

Mazo EMS2
04-08-2015, 03:43 PM
When you support a vendor on this forum, you support this forum. Without them this forum goes away, and you no longer have to dislike me. I did not say what I said because I expected love and kisses, I said it because the OP dissected a product from a vendor on this site and posted the results, and I be leave this practice is just plane wrong.

I stand by my post.

There's really no dissecting to it. It's clearly a very simple product that really isn't rocket science. It's simply a good idea, and you have it on the market and can/should be applauded for it. Well done, but I wanna save some money so I made one of my own.

IGETAROUND
04-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Wow, a guy does something on his own and gets thrown under the bus. My boss does indeed know that I have the parts. I told him what I was making. In any case, I used it today as a matter of fact, and both fronts are within 1/4 of a pound according to my digital gage. Used it on my car with the same results. Sheesh, some are acting like there was a patent infringement or something. It's not like the one sold here thru a vendor is top secret. I happened to see it and thought I'd throw one together quick. Is there a law against trying things for yourself? If there was, there'd only be one version of everything you can imagine and it would all cost a fortune without competition.....I have no intention of selling the thing, or even making another one for that matter. I just shared what I did so that others could give it a whirl. After all, that's what the site is all about. And yes, I have supported several of the sponsoring vendors on the site by purchasing products from them.
Good grief! :banghead:
No good deed ever goes unpunished!!! FWIW this posting of something that you've put together on your own is food for thought.

JT makes outstanding products as do most all of the venders on this site. taking the idea and applying it in a slightly different manner should not engender so much derision from others. :yikes::gaah:

JerryB
04-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Hi MZEMS2

Re: Wow, a guy does something on his own and gets thrown under the bus. My boss does indeed know that I have the parts. I told him what I was making. In any case, I used it today as a matter of fact, and both fronts are within 1/4 of a pound according to my digital gage. Used it on my car with the same results. Sheesh, some are acting like there was a patent infringement or something. It's not like the one sold here thru a vendor is top secret. I happened to see it and thought I'd throw one together quick. Is there a law against trying things for yourself? If there was, there'd only be one version of everything you can imagine and it would all cost a fortune without competition.....I have no intention of selling the thing, or even making another one for that matter. I just shared what I did so that others could give it a whirl. After all, that's what the site is all about. And yes, I have supported several of the sponsoring vendors on the site by purchasing products from them.
Good grief!

I own & operate a small business and I could not agree more with you.

The naysayers usually don't know what a mexican metric wrench is.

I've made more tools to do things on my cars, house, etc than I can possibly remember. It's fun & very satisfying.

As for my small business; anyone who wants to go make their own parachute equipment I only wish the best for them.

Good for you for doing it and explaining/showing it to us.

Hmmmm, wasn't the Apple computer invented in a garage?

:yes:

Jerry Baumchen

ahh-cool
04-08-2015, 07:49 PM
I make most of my own mods. I'm sorry that maybe I'm more talented or technical than the average guy.
Why should he be discriminated against because he has the ability to do something that someone else can't.
Thank you for showing us your invention.
In the future instead of putting it here so everybody can see, just send me a PM so I can take a look at it.
I promise not to put you down for your imagination
Stefan