PDA

View Full Version : After Battery Discoinnect-Any Issues ?

WEB-WVR
04-07-2015, 02:11 PM
So have the new 2014 Spyder ST Limited (6 days now )
I just attached my Battery Tender to the battery, I tried to do so without losing contact with the power lines to the battery...but that did not happen. All hooked up Tender is working and bike = all seems to be fine. :clap:

QUESTION: Are there any issues or should I be aware of any issues when a battery is disconnected, in other words...is there anything that needs to be reset/calibrated ? As an example on some newer cars, if you disconnect the battery you have to recalibrate steering or other issues. :lecturef_smilie:

Just wondering....

Thanks for the responses ! :spyder2:

Spyda98
04-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Personally, I've disconnect my battery multiple times; sometimes for a night and no issues so far with the electronics on the Spyder.

I do have a 7-Series that I have to register the battery or the multiple CPUs in the car will drain the battery in no time.

Spyda98
04-07-2015, 02:27 PM
By the way.. congrats on the new Spyder and welcome!!

Bob Denman
04-07-2015, 02:32 PM
:congrats: on the new bike... :thumbup:
If your clock is reading as in-accurately as before the power was cut...

...You're probably good to go!
The Speakers' balance and fade adjustments may have snuck back to their defaults...

WEB-WVR
04-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Thanks........just did not know if I had to re-calibrate anything. As far as the computer...I have not messed with it yet...time to sit in the garage and figure it all out.

Thanks dudes ! :spyder2::thumbup:

billybovine
04-07-2015, 03:46 PM
Just reset the clock and you're good. I have to disagree with Bob on having to reset the radio settings. You can lose those settings but not from disconnecting the battery.

Bob Denman
04-07-2015, 04:55 PM
(I said: "may have"... :D)

BeRight
04-07-2015, 05:22 PM
From manual - Battery - Disconnect: Black first then Red

Connect: Red first then Black

Chupaca
04-07-2015, 06:22 PM
as stated the clock needs resetting but remember the disconnect pattern cause if you ever have a glitch that won't clear with a key walk disconnecting the battey also resets the computers....:thumbup:

AZ Y Factor
04-07-2015, 07:13 PM
I just attached my Battery Tender to the battery, I tried to do so without losing contact with the power lines to the battery...but that did not happen. All hooked up Tender is working and bike = all seems to be fine. :clap:

QUESTION: Are there any issues or should I be aware of any issues when a battery is disconnected, in other words...is there anything that needs to be reset/calibrated ? As an example on some newer cars, if you disconnect the battery you have to recalibrate steering or other issues. :lecturef_smilie:

Just wondering....

Thanks for the responses ! :spyder2:

Just curious why you didn't hook it up to the 12 volt outlet in the frunk?

happyspyder2039
04-07-2015, 08:22 PM

Just wondering....

Thanks for the responses ! :spyder2:why would you need to hook to tender so soon after purchasing? Plan on hibernation?

WEB-WVR
04-07-2015, 09:50 PM
To answer to some of the comments:

I have always connected the Tender's directly to the battery, ditto for the Spyder. :ani29:

As stated, I leave my Tendered items on Tender's year round. It keeps the batteries at 100%, unplug, start and go. I have never had a dead battery. My Dodge Charger's first battery lasted 9 years. I have a Tender on my Challenger and Charger as they are not daily drivers....peace of mind for having a battery that is ready for action. :clap:

The Spyder is plugged in now for a few reasons: I got it last Thursday. I live in freakin Oregon and it is raining.... :yikes: a tornado was even seen just 15 miles away today (and we just dont have those), so our riding season has not quite started, the unit I bought was delivered to the dealer last August - I bought in now....so I assume that battery is not at full charge (the Tender is still showing after 8 hours that it is not at full charge yet) so I want to get it up to capacity ;) and lastly............it gave me a reason to tinker with my Spyder :spyder2: today. I need an excuse because evertime I go to the garage just to look at it.........my wife thinks I am nuts ! :roflblack:

Tomorrow I will play with and figure out the on-board computer which I will call "HALL" and reset the clock.

Thanks for the advice everyone....I will ask later about oil changes. :spyder2:

PistonBlown
04-08-2015, 12:42 AM
"it gave me a reason to tinker with my Spyder"

I know that one:-)

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-08-2015, 01:34 AM
Tech told me last fall if you disconnect the battery, turn the front wheels either way and leave them there, then reconnect the battery the steering angle sensor may need to be reset. That's a BUDS job.

billybovine
04-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Tech told me last fall if you disconnect the battery, turn the front wheels either way and leave them there, then reconnect the battery the steering angle sensor may need to be reset. That's a BUDS job.

I am skeptical of that statement from your Tech. It would be nice if that could be confirmed by another knowledgeable source.

WEB-WVR
04-08-2015, 01:54 PM
I am skeptical of that statement from your Tech. It would be nice if that could be confirmed by another knowledgeable source.

Yes please, any confirmation that this needs to be done ? As my original post noted, some newer cars need to have eklectronic steering recalibrated after a battery cable is removed....that is why I had my initial question regarding the Spyder.

:spyder2: ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????? :spyder2:

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-08-2015, 10:38 PM
All I can say for sure is last fall when I started getting DPS errors his first question when I saw him was if I had had the battery disconnected and changed the angle of the front wheels before reconnecting. That's when he said the steering angle zero setting could get changed. But I agree, confirmation from someone to whom this has actually happened would be good. In my case the errors were caused by a defective DPS. I do have confidence though in the tech's knowledge and expertise which is why I didn't doubt him.

It does sound plausible to me when you consider that Nanny has to be powered in order to get a real time signal from the DPS while the wheels are moved. I guess the likelihood of an error creeping in depends on how firmly the setting is locked into Nanny with respect to the physical position of the steering angle sensor, and how much the SAS depends on a physical reading like from a rheostat vs. an electronically interpreted reading from something like an induction or magnetic source.