PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tender Power Surge Protection

ROBSTOY
04-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Maybe this has been addressed before (I did a quick search but didn't find anything...). Do you need to use a surge protector while using a battery tender? Does the tender itself act as a surge protector in the event of a power surge? Wouldn't want to electrocute my new arachnid!!!

Bob Denman
04-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Having had bikes for well over 30 years; I've never used one...
I guess I figure that it'd kill the battery, and pop the main fuse; that's about it! :D

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Not an expert on this, however your home / garage is on a fused line correct............I know computers need extra protection ( milli second dis-connect ) because of their super sensitivity but I would think normal protection would cover this type of thing........Mike :thumbup:

WEB-WVR
04-07-2015, 12:41 PM
I have had multiple Battery tenders on; motorcycles, lawn equipment, farm tractor, boat....at our old place (farm property)...we would have constant power outages and power bumps. I had surge protectors on computer equipment and flat sc TVs but not on the tenders....have never had an issue.

They make a big difference in battery reliability ang longevity...in fact..off to the garage to install one on my new Spyder ! :spyder2:

Chupaca
04-07-2015, 12:45 PM
Don't use them but the tender could be fused to protect the battery, thats its job. Newer chargers are like that to avoid over charging. :thumbup:

robmorg
04-07-2015, 03:20 PM
:agree: with what everybody else said. Wouldn't worry about it.

jneg2
04-07-2015, 08:17 PM
I put single surge protector on my tenders only because I had an extra laying around. Cheap insurance even if it doesn't matter in my mind..

Spyder 42
04-07-2015, 08:32 PM
We have several pieces of equipment (spyders included) that are in the garage on Deltran Battery Tenders (both the Plus unit and Jr units used). During the ice storm in March of this year, trees came down on the power lines at the street. We have an APC UPS on the computer and TV cabinet. I was watching the weather station when the power surged and then went out. The UPS showed the line voltage drop from 125 to 39 then jump to 259. Power to the house dropped out after a few seconds.

I saw 259 again the next day when GA Power turned on a repaired section of line (then they dropped the power again to completely repair it). No problems with any of the items on the Deltrans.

shooter
04-07-2015, 08:36 PM
I've used them for years with no issues. Mine stays on the tender when not riding.

Steve (Shooter)
Spyder Ryders of Terrell Texas

ROBSTOY
04-07-2015, 09:17 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I installed a tender on my :spyder2: tonight (no surge protecter in the mix). I really didn't think it would be a problem, but didn't think it would hurt to get some other opinions. Given all the sensitive electrical components in everything today, just wanted to be sure!

WEB-WVR
04-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I installed a tender on my :spyder2: tonight (no surge protecter in the mix). I really didn't think it would be a problem, but didn't think it would hurt to get some other opinions. Given all the sensitive electrical components in everything today, just wanted to be sure!

That's why we are all here....to share knowledge and help each other ! :yes: I am new to the Spyder but have utilized forums like this on other bikes and cars....very helpful ! :spyder2:

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-08-2015, 01:47 AM
The newer battery charger/maintainers could be susceptible to being damaged by a power surge if they have a lot of 'smart' circuitry built in, just like any other electronic device. I think the chance of damage is quite low, particularly judging from the comments made here. As far as the Spyder the battery would act like a huge shock absorber, no pun intended! I think you'd almost have to have something like a lightning strike hit the bike before you would fry the electronics on it. No normal type of power surge is going to make it past the charger with enough voltage to hurt the bike.

Spyda98
04-08-2015, 08:02 AM
Never used a surge protector and never had an issue with the Battery tender jr or the Battery Tender Plus.

ROBSTOY
04-08-2015, 08:38 AM
I couldn't agree more. I have been using forums for years for multiple things! I find the contributors on on these forums to be true experts.

That's why we are all here....to share knowledge and help each other ! :yes: I am new to the Spyder but have utilized forums like this on other bikes and cars....very helpful ! :spyder2:

westom
04-10-2015, 12:35 PM
Do you need to use a surge protector while using a battery tender? If a tender needs protection, then everything needs that same protection. For over 100 years, facilities that cannot have damage have earthed a 'whole house' protector. This 'best' solution from all types of surges is also a least expensive solution.

All appliances already contain robust protection. Your concern is a rare anomaly, maybe once every seven years, that may cause damage. The only solution for that type transient is a properly earthed 'whole house' protector. The protector should have less of your attention. Since requirements for earthing actually define and do protection. Earth that must both meet and exceed code requirements.

Protection means you can say where hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate. Then nobody even knew a surge existed. Few spec numbers on 'magic box' plug-in protectors. Hundreds of joules is near zero (and many times more expensive) protection. The effective solution for everything (including tender) is a protector connected low impedance (ie 'less than 3 meters') to single point earth ground.

If anything needs protection, then everything needs that protection.

Bob Denman
04-10-2015, 12:40 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=105144&stc=1