PDA

View Full Version : Trailer wiring not working

PrairieSpyder
04-06-2015, 03:41 PM
I got the trailer when I had a 2011 RTS, and had a current hitch (2013) installed, and my brother changed the plug on the trailer to match fit. It all worked fine. Then I bought my 2014, I had Pitbull just move my hitch/wiring to my new RTS. So, to recap, I have:

2014 RTS
2013 hitch/wiring harness
2010 RT622 trailer with modified plug

On my last trip, the wire from the trailer rubbed against the read tire of the Spyder and the coating of the wires wore off, exposing raw wires. My brother fixed the bad wires on the trailer, and tested it out with the Spyder. The trailer lights don't work. All the lights on the Spyder (brakes, turn-signals, etc.) are fine. He checked the plug on the Spyder side and there's no juice to the plug at all. He checked the trailer fuse and it's good.

We're thinking that the damage to the wires caused damage to the trailer wiring on the Spyder, but we're not sure how to trace it out, which panels to remove, where to look.

Can someone here give us a clue about where to start looking?

Thank you all.

billybovine
04-06-2015, 03:47 PM
Check fuse #4, 10 amp, in the right fuse box. Remember the Spyders right not yours.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104892&stc=1

PrairieSpyder
04-06-2015, 05:39 PM
We did that first. The fuse is fine.

billybovine
04-06-2015, 06:34 PM
The BRP trailer harness is in 3 parts. First there is the Y connector that taps in the Spyder wiring. It is located on the left side under the seat. Not sure how you get to it on a RT. If it is alright follow it the connected isolator/converter module. Connected to that is the cable that goes to your hitch.

Here are pictures of the connector under the seat and with my homemade trailer harness plugged into it. Exactly the same connector but the landscape is way different on a RT.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104899&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104900&stc=1

jwulf74
04-06-2015, 07:57 PM
Assuming all of the wires have continunity, I am wondering if the module blew out. The one that BRP sent with our hitch is a Hopkins 310-0041-559.

PrairieSpyder
04-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Assuming all of the wires have continunity, I am wondering if the module blew out. The one that BRP sent with our hitch is a Hopkins 310-0041-559.

We don't know if all the wires have continuity. We only know where 1 end is.

Gray Ghost
04-06-2015, 09:13 PM
billybovine gave you the place to find the module. The symptoms when my module went out last year was that the lights on the spyder itself were fine, but I was not seeing battery voltage at the right spots on the trailer connector.

gened4288
04-06-2015, 10:05 PM

Gotta get the multi-meter out and start testing the wires from front to back. Assuming the fuses are OK, you need to test the wires coming into/out of the module. It they output properly from the module, check them at the bike side of the trailer plug. It may be time-consuming, but it should get you fixed.

Gene

Air Force PAO
04-07-2015, 05:40 AM
Hmmm...Y'all have me thinking. My trailer lights don't work.

So...where is this fuse box? Where is this module?

Thanks for heping.

MSGTDOC
04-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Don't just look at the fuses test them

billybovine
04-07-2015, 04:09 PM

Sorry I don't know how to take apart a RT to get at it. Maybe someone will describe how to take off the left side tupperware to get to the harness.

Once you are in there these are the 3 harness parts you are looking for.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104957&stc=1

billybovine
04-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Hmmm...Y'all have me thinking. My trailer lights don't work.

So...where is this fuse box? Where is this module?

Thanks for heping.

If you have a 2013 or later the fuse will be as described in the previous posts. Earlier models refer to the owners guide and it will listed there.

The module is in the tail of your Spyder and what type it is depends on the version of the trailer harness. It is my understanding there have been several.