PDA

View Full Version : Break in period versus skills practice conflict

Brentc
04-05-2015, 10:54 AM
Purchased my new RT6 se in February and will be picking up in two weeks! Found this website last week and have been diligently trying to get more educated along with reading the users manual from the brp website ahead of time. Tons of great information in both this web site and the manual, however I noticed one glaring issue today when I was reading the breakin posts that mentioned that you should not apply the brakes hard during break in which makes sense. However the manual says the opposite in the skills section, pg 84, that you should practice applying the brakes in gradual steps working up to applying "as hard as possible" I'm not looking to nit pick, but wanted to point this out to other new folks, that although I can see the usefulness of being familiar with knowing what a panic stop would feel like, I would practice that after the brake in period.

cuznjohn
04-05-2015, 11:00 AM
welcome and congrats. as a old school person and someone who believes that if i buy something that is covered by a warranty than ,my feelings are RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

Chupaca
04-05-2015, 11:10 AM
to find contradictions. Little more explanations would help. But within reason avoid hard stops. There are those that like to come to a stop fast and hard stops. But ryding the way you will always be ryding is the best way. Brake pad need hard braking to seat in well so it is still more confusing....:thumbup:

Midian
04-05-2015, 11:39 AM
I'm with you on this one... I paid for the warranty so you promise to fix it. Therefore, my job is to break it. :p

welcome and congrats. as a old school person and someone who believes that if i buy something that is covered by a warranty than ,my feelings are RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-05-2015, 11:58 AM
It's not going to hurt the brakes if you PANIC stop it once to test just how fast it will stop.........It' is in your best interest to know before hand what to expect. It's all a learning curve and common sense is usually the best gauge of what you should be doing ........JMHO.....Mike

Bob Denman
04-05-2015, 12:30 PM
:agree: It's part of the learning process about the bike; just don't make every stop like that... :shocked:

BikerDoc
04-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Through 4 Spyders I have ridden from day one just how I planned to ryde every other day and have had no significant problems. To the contrary - the more and harder I ryde the fewer problems i seem to have

ARtraveler
04-05-2015, 02:07 PM
I believe the brake testing in the manual has to do with the suggested parking lot training with the cones and such. You are not going to be exceeding 30 mph much I would think. A few hard stop tests in first gear are not going to hurt anything, and you will quickly see how the :ani29: reacts to hard braking. That was one of the first things I covered with my spouse on her first ride when we went to a parking lot to familiarize with the new :spyder2:

otter28169
04-05-2015, 07:48 PM

And you should listen to this man, he's pre-med......

I though you were pre-law................

What's the difference??

I too have found out that riding your spyder "in an aggressive manor" does not seem to negatively affect the mechanicals or the fuel mileage of my spyder.

Just sayin'............

RS990
04-05-2015, 08:17 PM
A good read about break-in.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm