PDA

View Full Version : warranty Void

rhoule1
04-05-2015, 06:37 AM
I'm coming up on the 3000 mile oil change on my 2014 rt. Manual says should be done by service shop and requires a techs signature. My question is could they void my warranty if I did the work myself? Really hate to pay someone $80.00 per hour for something I can do myself except for the BUDS update.

JayBros
04-05-2015, 06:59 AM
Under the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act the only way the dealer or BRP could void your warranty would be if they could prove any damage to the vehicle you submitted for a warranty repair claim was the result of the work you did and the manner in which you did it. Situation could make only the lawyers wealthier. That's still no reason to stop me from doing my own oil changes and other tasks I consider myself capable of doing. Life's full of risks.

rhoule1
04-05-2015, 07:09 AM
Do you think a dealer would be willing to do just a BUDS check for updates?

PMK
04-05-2015, 07:42 AM
Consider also, your owners manual explains the approved data on how to accomplish an oil change, details the specs for the oil and so forth. As for the Buds update, unless they issue a recall or applicable service bulletin, I see no way that could be held against you.

Your warranty is valid for a while, would this mean every maintenance task must be accomplished by a dealer? The obvious being that if you do make a mistake, BRP is not liable. Taking it further, if the dealer makes a mistake, BRP is also not liable.

Find a good dealer that you can work with. Do what you can comfortably and let them handle warranty stuff or updates if needed.

PK

Bob Denman
04-05-2015, 08:12 AM
Keep your receipts for the oil and filter, and they can't say anything to you about it. :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
04-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Do you think a dealer would be willing to do just a BUDS check for updates?

Yes, they would but you will more than likely be charged for it.

rhoule1
04-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Thank you gentlemen for all your advice. I will have the dealer only do what I don't feel comfortable with. Can't see spending $80.00 per hour for changing oil or checking tire pressure and fluid levels etc. I am just so amazed with this forum and the willingness of so many people sharing such helpful information. Only hope I can myself be of help to others.

Chupaca
04-05-2015, 11:02 AM
there is a lot more to the first service than the oil change. It is best that they do the first and you can do all the rest. Never been a warranty thing anyway but if there is an issue they can deal with it before it becomes a problem. You will be the one complaining the loudest if something goes wrong and it could have been avoided. Jmo and experience having done warranty work for many many years...:thumbup:

finless
04-05-2015, 11:34 AM
there is a lot more to the first service than the oil change. It is best that they do the first and you can do all the rest. Never been a warranty thing anyway but if there is an issue they can deal with it before it becomes a problem. You will be the one complaining the loudest if something goes wrong and it could have been avoided. Jmo and experience having done warranty work for many many years...:thumbup:

I tend to agree with Chupaca on the first service. They do more than just an oil change. New belts tend to stretch the first time and thus usually need the adjustment. Mine did. They also see if anything is going wrong your not aware of. I had the dealer do my first service but after that I have done all the others myself.

Bob

ARtraveler
04-05-2015, 02:20 PM
Also agree that first checkup/oil change service should be dealer done. Just to make sure there are no bugs in the machine.

That said, a capable person performing standard maintenance should not be an issue either. Like everyone said, save your receipts to back up when the service was completed.

They do have us on BUDS checks though.

Bob Denman
04-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Thank you gentlemen for all your advice. I will have the dealer only do what I don't feel comfortable with. Can't see spending $80.00 per hour for changing oil or checking tire pressure and fluid levels etc. I am just so amazed with this forum and the willingness of so many people sharing such helpful information. Only hope I can myself be of help to others.

Have you bought yourself a Service Manual yet? :dontknow:

EBay always has them. :thumbup: