PDA

View Full Version : That Sucking Sound

metman
04-03-2015, 09:46 PM
I changed my '12 RT-S SE5 to JT's air filter some time back and really liked it, at first. It definitely helped the heat problem, but I'm growing weary of the "sucking" sound whenever the bike is under throttle.

Back when I was 18, I loved the sound of those secondaries kicking in on a 300 HP 327 in a '65 Impala. But at 69 I'd like to quiet Katy back down without putting the dang air box back in.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Mike in KY

kyspyder
04-03-2015, 09:49 PM
Mike, a good set of earplugs might do the job:)

kyspyder

happyspyder2039
04-03-2015, 09:55 PM
I changed my '12 RT-S SE5 to JT's air filter some time back and really liked it, at first. It definitely helped the heat problem, but I'm growing weary of the "sucking" sound whenever the bike is under throttle.

Back when I was 18, I loved the sound of those secondaries kicking in on a 300 HP 327 in a '65 Impala. But at 69 I'd like to quiet Katy back down without putting the dang air box back in.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Mike in KYDid you look at JT's pre-filter. its supposed to help with the noise.

bscrive
04-03-2015, 10:09 PM
We put the pre-filter on my wife's STL and she says it sounds like stock now.

Chupaca
04-04-2015, 01:30 AM
try the pre filter and go from there. I love the sound so have not tried to tone it down yet. Do have ram air to it but dosen't change the sound...:thumbup:

metman
04-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Forgot to say that I already have JT's prefilter and I don't think it made much difference. I've had JT's filter on for about 8K miles and I'm thinking it's getting louder.

Is there anything else that could be wrong that might have caused what I'm thinking is an increase in "that sucking sound" under load that I should look for?

I'm darn near deaf, so says a lot of folks, but the sound is bugging me. Could just be that 69 year old thing I guess.

We wear full face modular helmets with SENA SMH10 headsets. Unlike some, I want/need to hear what the GIB says over the intercom, so ear plugs are out of the question.

Mike in KY