PDA

View Full Version : Belt Drive

Nudels2u75
04-03-2015, 01:52 PM
How many miles do you get on your belt drive....I currently have 20K, I installed the tensioner soon after I purchaed the bike....It currently has cracks in it and now has a few ribs missing.....I have the 2012 White Limited Tour bike....I ride pretty aggresive, but did not think that should really matter, my other bikes I get about 80-100K on one belt.....belt is shot

ARtraveler
04-03-2015, 01:57 PM
Belts should last 50K plus miles. They do not like rocks. I broke two belts during encounters with rocks. Pitting and cracking--another story, but it sounds like time for a new belt in your case.

BajaRon
04-03-2015, 03:28 PM
That is surprising. I think the typical belt will go at least 50k.

I've got 35k on mine and it looks fine.

finless
04-03-2015, 03:38 PM
You guys may think I am nuts.... but out here in very dry conditions, and per the BRP bulletin to add a little grease to the belt teeth, I have been keeping mine moisturized with a little bit of White Lithium grease. Why Lithium grease? Because it does not effect rubber like many petroleum based greases do.

Bob

HVACR Guy
04-03-2015, 04:47 PM
You guys may think I am nuts.... but out here in very dry conditions, and per the BRP bulletin to add a little grease to the belt teeth, I have been keeping mine moisturized with a little bit of White Lithium grease. Why Lithium grease? Because it does not effect rubber like many petroleum based greases do.

Bob

Does the grease attract dust and then act like sandpaper on the sprockets? Just curious. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge with us.I'm new here and have a lot to learn.

Bob Denman
04-03-2015, 05:08 PM
If the belt is missing teeth :shocked:... it's time to get a new one. :banghead:
Check the pulley over closely for rock damage; something must have been chewing it up! :yikes:

finless
04-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Does the grease attract dust and then act like sandpaper on the sprockets? Just curious. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge with us.I'm new here and have a lot to learn.

No issue that I have had with that. Again there was a BRP service bulletin telling dealers to add a little grease to the belt.

Also because I have a Smooth Spyder running on the top of the belt, I add a little to the top.

Here it is:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45980&d=1336678835

Bob

Roadster Renovations
04-03-2015, 05:13 PM
If the belt is missing teeth :shocked:... it's time to get a new one. :banghead:
Check the pulley over closely for rock damage; something must have been chewing it up! :yikes:

When I changed my tire last year I found some rock debris embedded in the groove of the rear sprocket. Couldn't even see it unless the wheel was off. A little tar from seal coat, throw up a small rock, and there you have it. I check mine quite often now.

Chupaca
04-03-2015, 06:07 PM
At 26,000 miles the belt is doing well. Like finless I use a dab of lithium grease to keep it from dry rubbong the slots...You may have had something caught up in there and since ground away or was spit out. Worth giving it a tooth by tooth inspection...:thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
04-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Finless is right on target with this. :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

No issue that I have had with that. Again there was a BRP service bulletin telling dealers to add a little grease to the belt.

Also because I have a Smooth Spyder running on the top of the belt, I add a little to the top.

Here it is:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45980&d=1336678835

Bob

dlby
04-03-2015, 09:05 PM
Well it just goes ta show ya--
Its always something
Thank You! For info

And thank you rosanne

Dudley
04-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Our 2010 RT SM5 had 57,000 miles when we traded in February. We live at the end of a 2 mile caliche road. I ride to work everyday (5/wk). Never had issues with the belt. Didn't do anything to it.