PDA

View Full Version : Trade or Sell

den1953
04-03-2015, 10:57 AM
My dealer looked up my 2012 Victory Cross Country for me and told me $11,000 is what he'd give me for it in trade for a new 2015 F3 Spyder. There is a guy in the American Legion from a nearby town that might be interested in buying it outright for $13,000. If that doesn't materialize should I try to sell outright and wait it out or just jump on the trade-in? The bike is in excellent shape and has a bit over 18,600 miles on it.

StanProff
04-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Well, one thing you can add to your sell price is that the trade in value should be deducted from the applicable sells tax owed on the new machine. At least that is the way it is in Tennessee. If that is the case in your state you can add perhaps 800 to a thousand in sales tax that you don't have to pay on the new machine. That is what I done and ended up within about a thousand of what I might have made selling outright. I preferred not to go through the hassle of trying to sell and waiting for that to happen. I took the small hit and traded.

Bob Denman
04-03-2015, 11:10 AM
:agree: I try and always trade in the "expendable" vehicle... :D
I get very little street traffic around here, so the dealer will always stand a better chance of finding a pidge... :shocked: Uhhh... customer that wants it.:roflblack:

Good Luck with however the deal goes! :thumbup:

Copperman
04-03-2015, 01:03 PM
My dealer looked up my 2012 Victory Cross Country for me and told me $11,000 is what he'd give me for it in trade for a new 2015 F3 Spyder. There is a guy in the American Legion from a nearby town that might be interested in buying it outright for $13,000. If that doesn't materialize should I try to sell outright and wait it out or just jump on the trade-in? The bike is in excellent shape and has a bit over 18,600 miles on it.

You could always sell it to your friend and have your dealer put in on your bill of sale as a trade in. The dealer will do all the paperwork and should not charge you to do it. This way you'll get the extra bucks for the sale and not pay sales tax on the sale amount.

ARtraveler
04-03-2015, 01:13 PM
If the friend has the cash and you can consummate the deal prior to the purchase of the new :ani29: then go for it. Waiting around for others to buy, that can be long and lonely sometimes.

The dealer is expecting to make a thousand or more on the re-sale of the Victory. That is par, so the deal sounds pretty fair on the trade. Sometimes, they get stuck with the trade.

When I purchased the 2011, new in 2012, the dealer gave me almost what I paid for my 2009 Kawi Vulcan 900. It was in brand new condition, perfect, had some nice accessories, and only 6,000 miles. That beautiful bike languished on his lot for a year and 3 months. The new buyer got it for about $1,500 less than the trade in price I received. My dealer also sells Kawi.

So, waiting for a buyer can be long and drawn out sometimes, even on a great bike like the Victory.

Ex-Rocket
04-03-2015, 01:26 PM
I don't know how far you are from the Chicago area but there is a sponsor here on Spyderlovers that will give you more on a trade than any local dealers. That was my experience with them as I trade my 2012 RTS on a new 2015 RTS and I got a great trade in value. If you want to know the dealership, just pm me.