PDA

View Full Version : speed

wengerda
04-03-2015, 05:50 AM
I am curious about us Spyder riders, what is your comfortable riding speed limit on the highway? I am a new rider and right now my max (constantly) speed is between 62-67mph. I know that relaxing my arms is a most, but my highways speed limit in some areas are between 65-70 mph. Will I get comfortable riding at that speed? Any tips other than relax your arms and pay attention to the road...thanks:yikes:

cuznjohn
04-03-2015, 06:16 AM
i ride between 60 and 65

wengerda
04-03-2015, 06:29 AM
i ride between 60 and 65

I am also comfortable at that speed too. (60-65mph)

ahh-cool
04-03-2015, 06:37 AM
The exact speed is the speed you're comfortable with.
Stop worrying about what other people are doing

jcthorne
04-03-2015, 06:41 AM
I was the same when first riding the spyder. Now, Louise and I have no trouble keeping up with traffic which is often well above the 75MPH speed limit on open freeway.

SPYD3R
04-03-2015, 06:42 AM
REMEMBER ONE THING, 18 WHEELERS BLOW LOTS OF AIR.... SO KEEP YOUR DISTANCE IF YOU DON'T LIKE PASSING THEM... IF YOU DO PASS THEM, HOLD ON TIGHT....
MOST IMPORTANTLY, RIDE IN YOUR SAFE ZONE....
DAN P
SPYD3R F3-S

cmungen
04-03-2015, 06:49 AM
It takes several thousaand miles to master the beast!
Ride and practice at what ever speed you can deal with.
Relax and let spider do the work dont think about it, just point it!

Have Fun

Bob Denman
04-03-2015, 07:06 AM
:opps: I'm always the Olphart that's travelling slower than anyone else around me... :opps:
But that's just how I roll...
When I rode to SpyderFest 2013; I was pretty much running above 75 mph for the trip. :shocked:
The bike was steady, and I was okay with it; but I just prefer taking my time, and looking around more! :thumbup:

You'll find your own level of comfort, and stick with it!

JayBros
04-03-2015, 07:42 AM
Dan P's comment is spot on. If you want some extra protection amidst the semis get a BajaRon sway bar. On my first interstate foray I specifically went out to see how my Spyder would react when passing the big rigs. I could feel buffeting on my upper torso but the roadster tracked straight as an arrow. It behaves similarly in gusty crosswinds.

jaherbst
04-03-2015, 08:00 AM
The exact speed is the speed you're comfortable with.
Stop worrying about what other people are doing

Ride your own ride. If it is comfortable, that is your speed.
Forget about what speed others ride.

Jack

wengerda
04-03-2015, 08:19 AM
Dan P's comment is spot on. If you want some extra protection amidst the semis get a BajaRon sway bar. On my first interstate foray I specifically went out to see how my Spyder would react when passing the big rigs. I could feel buffeting on my upper torso but the roadster tracked straight as an arrow. It behaves similarly in gusty crosswinds.
I have a new Bajaron swaybar on my new Spyder..

revjvegas
04-03-2015, 08:57 AM
I always ride at or below the posted speed limit.

To say I like to otherwise go as fast as I can get away with would be self incrimination and would be purely speculative at this point.

;):doorag::p

bluestratos
04-03-2015, 09:16 AM
I ride at the speed limit but the bike is stable at any speed. I had a 2011 and found that the passing a semi could be felt. I added better shocks and a sway bar and it was great after that. On my 14 I did not even notice passing a semi wit the stock configuration but added a sway bar which did improve cornering considerably. As said, the Spyder is better than a two wheeler in this regard. I ran on track wide open in top gear and the handling was just as good at 96 mph (2011 model) as it is at 50.

Chupaca
04-03-2015, 09:27 AM
I get comfotable at any speed. You should ryde where you are happiest. I will keep with traffic speeds when traffic is heavy and speed limit plus 5/10 mph when light then let her rip when clear for a bit. But again it is where you are comfortable. Never a good idea to ryde when in a hurry or pressed to meat a schedule. Much more fun when you have not time limits...thats my way..:thumbup:

finless
04-03-2015, 10:12 AM
Come to Socal.... You will get use to riding almost 80 as that's what traffic does!

I too when new to the Spyder was nervous when going over 65. You will soon find that the Spyder pretty much rides the same at 65 and 75.

Find an open road somewhere and just do 75 for a while. You will see you quickly get comfortable.

Bob

PaladinLV
04-03-2015, 10:15 AM
I ride 5 mph over the limit up to 65.
When the limit is 70 or 75 I drive the limit.

AJ

I am curious about us Spyder riders, what is your comfortable riding speed limit on the highway? I am a new rider and right now my max (constantly) speed is between 62-67mph. I know that relaxing my arms is a most, but my highways speed limit in some areas are between 65-70 mph. Will I get comfortable riding at that speed? Any tips other than relax your arms and pay attention to the road...thanks:yikes:

ARtraveler
04-03-2015, 01:39 PM
Riding with traffic is important if you would be impeding other drivers. Riding faster than traffic also presents it's problems.

Here, I like to ride between 5 and 7 mph above posted. My :spyder2: is 2 mph under actual. On the double lane, most cars pass me when it is not busy. When busy, I maintain what others are doing.

On 55 mph roads, I like to go 60 - 62 where possible. Less on twisties or roads with blind curves. I have a favorite ride that is posted 55 but it has many curves and blind spots. Usually 50 is where I am at. If others want to get around, I usually pull over or signal them by when safe.

Like others posted, ride your own ride. Be safe as possible without becoming a target or an annoyance to others.

cuznjohn
04-03-2015, 02:06 PM
like i said b4, i like between 60 and 65 mph, but when i ride with my friends they like to run ahead of traffic and not just as fast as it

BikerDoc
04-03-2015, 02:10 PM
I ride 5 to 8 mph over the posted speed limit. On most of the highways I ride on the cages and trucks will blow you off the road if you try to ride much slower than that.. The Spyder cruises very comfortable at 78

sduskin
04-03-2015, 05:21 PM
1) appropriate speed for your skills
2) appropriate speed for the road condition
3) just a couple mph above the surrounding cage drivers (provided you dont exceed #1 or #2).

Dan_Ashley
04-03-2015, 07:15 PM
I usually don't drive over 75 unless I have ear plugs in.

Motorcycledave
04-03-2015, 07:17 PM
I always ride at what ever the traffic flow is going if it's 60 I do 60 if it's 90 I do 90 :yikes:
but if a cop pulls me over and asks the big question, how fast were you going.....
I was going exactly what the speed limit sign says... and never any more. :thumbup:

Jccjr50
04-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Have cruised at 85 at 100 degree Temps . No problem. 2014 RT. Was in Utah where they have 80 mile speed limit. Have added bajaron sway bar and Baker tensioner since then, Which has made ride and handling much better.

M T Pockets
04-03-2015, 08:49 PM
The Spyder, for me, is more stable in crosswinds than the two wheelers I have ridden for many years.

When I first started riding motorcycles I felt 55mph was really thrilling and fast - it didn't take long before my body and brain felt it was way way to slow.

Gradually work your way up in speed (don't be in a hurry) and become very comfortable with it before increasing speed - build up your confidence.

Stay off the major highways, become very comfortable on the 35-45 speed limit roads.

Some riders feel it is the journey and not the destination or how fast you get there.

I used to ride to work on my motorcycle just using back roads - it took me 20 minutes longer but way more enjoyable.

I totally agree with this approach. Got my Spyder last year and I did this. My comfort zone is 60-65 and if others want to go 80 that what the left lane is for. Rode the H-D Dresser the same way. I'm 68 and want to see 86. :roflblack: In my younger day faster was better and never thought twice about it. Lot's of good advice on this thread. "To thyn own self be true" Ride SMART, STUPID HURTS:banghead: Have fun and be safe:yes:

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-04-2015, 01:59 AM
I usually ride 1 to 5 above the posted limit. Cops don't bother me at that speed. Sometimes that means I'm up to around 85, but mostly I ride around the 70 mark. I feel safer on the Spyder at 85 than I ever did on my Goldwing at 75.

Bfromla
04-04-2015, 03:18 AM
You all have better roads to enjoy! I've been to 8states so far on my spyder best roads in TX&FL toll. Could get to 80 comfy rest i say (5)under or over posted on average tend to set my cruise per rpm not speed fyi. And stay with odd numbers, 3 or7over not 5 too many others work in 5's. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dlby
04-04-2015, 05:29 AM
I found i was slowing down on my HD Ultra before I made the switch to Spyder
Some in group always going faster than me & Wife
We like to just cruise along

The spyder took a while b4 I felt comfortable even at 62 mph

Then 2k mi later im noticing every once & while doing 75 or so & hardly noticing
I wi probably always prefer 45- 65 on back roads but its good 2 know 75 or 80 is nothing if i need to do it