PDA

View Full Version : jthorton's New Passenger Cup Holder, Photos & Review

Cruzr Joe
04-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Got the new passenger cup holder in the mail today and here are some photos and a review.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104715&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104716&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104717&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104718&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104719&stc=1

UPDATE: Ex-Rocket made a good point that it should be mounted more towards the rear to prevent anyone from kicking it, and i agree, Thanks Ex-Rocket.

Review:

I have been waiting quite a while for a decent passenger cup holder and i think this one will fit in nicely, WHY?

As you can see it is not bulky.

the Saddle Bags do not touch the cup holder.

You can use it with moveable armrests, no problem with or without the water bottle.

Appears to be firm and solid.

There is a rubber strip between the cup holder and the hand grip to protect the hand grip.

The angle and location spot are relatively adjustable.

The foam interior is perfect for a 12 oz can or a 16 oz bottle.

It looks nice, it is a brushed finish Stainless Steel.

I will now take questions, Bob, what is your question? :roflblack: (we all know Bob has a question.)

Cruzr Joe

2ndChildhood
04-02-2015, 04:32 PM
Looks great Jen might like one. Where did you buy it?

ToM
SpyderFest '15

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PW2013STL
04-02-2015, 04:57 PM

ToM
SpyderFest '15

Go to the home page and scroll down the list of vendors until you find JT's Machine Shop.
click on accessories and it's there for $40.00
Looks like a good price.

Purple Guy
04-02-2015, 05:13 PM
That is one of the nicer passenger holders I've seen! :thumbup:

How does it clamp the the handrest Joe?
If not in use is it quick little or no tools to remove?

Cruzr Joe
04-02-2015, 05:25 PM

How does it clamp the the handrest Joe?

It removes with one allen screw on the bottom of the bracket, awkward angle but not too bad.

Joe

Cruzr Joe
04-02-2015, 05:36 PM

ToM
SpyderFest '15

www.gnipsel.com/spyderstore/

JT's machine shop. on home page.

Cruzr Joe

robmorg
04-02-2015, 06:05 PM
I will now take questions, Bob, what is your question? :roflblack: (we all know Bob has a question.)

Cruzr Joe

That's a great cup holder for the back seat. :thumbup: A good looking one for the passenger was something I hadn't seen before. Thanks for posting it. I should remember to check JT's site more often - he makes good stuff. I use his dash mounting kit every day.

I can tell you what Bob will want to know.... "Does it leave a mark on the passenger grip when you remove it?" ;)

Chupaca
04-02-2015, 06:08 PM
might just have to switch from the cage type...:thumbup: hope they fit all spyders..:dontknow:

Cruzr Joe
04-02-2015, 06:11 PM
I "think" that they will fit all hand grips.

UPDATE: Spyder Owners with no backrests might want to test to see if it will interfere with the way they mount their Spyder so as not to kick it while mounting

Cruzr joe

Purple Guy
04-02-2015, 06:30 PM
It removes with one allen screw on the bottom of the bracket, awkward angle but not too bad.

Joe

Thanks my friend!

Ex-Rocket
04-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Joe, Do you have to mount it toward the front portion of the passenger grab bar or can you mount it further toward the rear of the bar? Just thinking it may interfere with the passenger getting on and off the bike.

Cruzr Joe
04-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Joe, Do you have to mount it toward the front portion of the passenger grab bar or can you mount it further toward the rear of the bar? Just thinking it may interfere with the passenger getting on and off the bike.

It can mount more to the center if you want them to, my wife always gets on and off from the left side so the placement on the right side is irrelevant to us.

UPDATE: Ex-Rocket made a good point that it should be mounted more towards the rear to prevent anyone from kicking it, and i agree, Thanks Ex-Rocket.

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
04-02-2015, 08:52 PM
That's a great cup holder for the back seat. :thumbup: A good looking one for the passenger was something I hadn't seen before. Thanks for posting it. I should remember to check JT's site more often - he makes good stuff. I use his dash mounting kit every day.

I can tell you what Bob will want to know.... "Does it leave a mark on the passenger grip when you remove it?" ;)

The strip of rubber between the cup holder and the hand grip should reduce any noticeable marks.

Cruzr Joe

jthornton
04-03-2015, 07:30 AM
Thanks for testing it out Joe, can't wait to see what Sam thinks about his.

JT

Bob Denman
04-03-2015, 07:44 AM
That looks like another GREAT product! :clap:

(And NO questions from the Peanut Gallery today... :opps:)

Cruzr Joe
04-03-2015, 12:42 PM
That looks like another GREAT product! :clap:

(And NO questions from the Peanut Gallery today... :opps:)

No question???? :yikes:

cruzr joe

robmorg
04-03-2015, 12:47 PM
No question???? :yikes:

cruzr joeYou already answered Bob's question in post #13 :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
04-04-2015, 12:11 AM
You already answered Bob's question in post #13 :thumbup:

Yeah, but it is better when he asks and puts a video or silly emoticons with his questions. :roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

robmorg
04-04-2015, 04:47 AM
You are correct, Joe. I enjoy that also. :clap::clap:http://www.robmorgan.net/img-sm/free-scared-smileys-366.gif

Cruzr Joe
04-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Please see the updates posted.

Bob Denman
04-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Okay Joe; I've DO have a question....

...Do you prefer your boxers to be dried on the line, or in a clothes dryer? :D

Cruzr Joe
04-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Okay Joe; I've DO have a question....

...Do you prefer your boxers to be dried on the line, or in a clothes dryer? :D

Depends, :yikes::yikes:

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
04-04-2015, 08:25 AM
Well... THAT answers the question that I didn't ask... :shocked:

Cruzr Joe
04-04-2015, 08:56 AM
Well... THAT answers the question that I didn't ask... :shocked:

:lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie :

jthornton
04-05-2015, 07:58 AM
Because the grip is tapered you can go about midway and still mount it but that would make the grip useless. Can the passenger easily get the water bottle in and out when it is at the very back? Like Joe said earlier my wife also gets on and off only on the left side so the cup holder on the right side is out of the way for her. When I get on if I kick her I get smacked!

JT

Big F
04-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Got the new passenger cup holder in the mail today and here are some photos and a review.

These are NOT available cuz Cruzr Joe has the only test model???
BIG F

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104715&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104716&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104717&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104718&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104719&stc=1

Review:

I have been waiting quite a while for a decent passenger cup holder and i think this one will fit in nicely, WHY?

As you can see it is not bulky.

the Saddle Bags do not touch the cup holder.

You can use it with moveable armrests, no problem with or without the water bottle.

Appears to be firm and solid.

There is a rubber strip between the cup holder and the hand grip to protect the hand grip.

The angle and location spot are relatively adjustable.

The foam interior is perfect for a 12 oz can or a 16 oz bottle.

It looks nice, it is a brushed finish Stainless Steel.

Cruzr Joe

These are NOT available cuz Cruze Joe has the only test model????????
BIG F

samewok
04-05-2015, 08:46 AM
I like the cup holder. I have it mounted on the right side because my wife or granddaughter get on from the left.
I mounted it about halfway up the grip.
Also the BRP half cover fits over it.

Cruzr Joe
04-05-2015, 12:58 PM
BIG F

He was waiting for test results/ opinions before he ordered/made parts, but they should be available pretty quick.

Cruzr joe

jthornton
04-07-2015, 09:57 AM
BIG F

I'm working on a batch now and they should be done later this week...

JT

Jerry & Trish
04-07-2015, 11:23 AM
JT
Can we order now and you ship when ready?

Thanks
Jerry Funk

jthornton
04-09-2015, 07:10 AM
JT
Can we order now and you ship when ready?

Thanks
Jerry Funk

The way the store software works is it won't allow you to order until I have some in stock. I prefer to be able ship when someone orders. The software keeps track of inventory usually lol. I'm temped to try out the latest version of the software when I get some spare time.

JT

currin20fan
04-09-2015, 08:10 AM
These look interesting, but I think I like the new ones from Diamond R better.

jthornton
04-11-2015, 05:59 PM
These look interesting, but I think I like the new ones from Diamond R better.

The $75 ones that only work with the $325 Diamond R arm rests? They are nice indeed...

JT

jthornton
04-15-2015, 12:59 PM

How does it clamp the the hand rest Joe?

I've been pondering this post for a while and I've come up with a tool-less mount that is quick to attach and holds better than the clamp. I just need to get one part in and I'll have some of these made up.

JT

Ex-Rocket
04-15-2015, 01:19 PM
Sounds good. Keep us informed.

jthornton
04-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Sounds good. Keep us informed.

Will do.

JT

Big F
04-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Will do.

JT

Will you have these available at Spyderfest??????? I want one.
BIG F

Utah Geezer
04-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Will the saddlebag still open without hitting it or do you have to detach it or move it out of the way somehow??? Interested in one but we are always opening and closing the saddlebags and I wouldn't want it to interfere or hit the door. Please let us know. I did not see a pic of the cup holder with the saddlebag door open.

jthornton
04-17-2015, 05:50 AM
Will you have these available at Spyderfest??????? I want one.
BIG F

I should have some with me at Spyderfest.

JT

jthornton
04-17-2015, 05:51 AM
Will the saddlebag still open without hitting it or do you have to detach it or move it out of the way somehow??? Interested in one but we are always opening and closing the saddlebags and I wouldn't want it to interfere or hit the door. Please let us know. I did not see a pic of the cup holder with the saddlebag door open.

The cup holder clears the saddlebag so it can open and close without moving the cup holder.

JT

Tasian
04-17-2015, 08:25 AM
Hey JT...Great work and thanks for taking care of all of us in the Spyder community.

A couple of questions...will your cup holder come in color options or just the pictured (metal) color? And do you have a possible date when they will be available for order since some of us poor souls won't be able to make it to Spyderfest? :banghead:

jthornton
04-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Hey JT...Great work and thanks for taking care of all of us in the Spyder community.

A couple of questions...will your cup holder come in color options or just the pictured (metal) color? And do you have a possible date when they will be available for order since some of us poor souls won't be able to make it to Spyderfest? :banghead:

The cup holders just come in the stainless steel. The one thing I'm poor at is guessing when I'm going to be done with something. I'm so bad at guessing that I don't do it any more. As soon as I have some ready to ship you can order them from my online store which would be much easier than trying to locate me at SpyderFest. And I will defiantly say here when they are ready. As of this morning I plan on making one more prototype (I hope the last one) then production can begin I hope.

JT

samewok
04-19-2015, 08:45 AM
Can't wait to see the changes. The prototype works great.

jthornton
04-19-2015, 05:13 PM
Can't wait to see the changes. The prototype works great.

I think this one will work even better... no tool install and remove in seconds.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=105810&stc=1

JT

jthornton
04-19-2015, 05:38 PM
Ok, I just made one tiny modification and I'm a happy guy about this product now. Easy to install/remove, solid fit. Production begins Monday, I hope I have enough on hand! On to the next challenge... my cuz said he wants a cup holder for the driver.

Joe and Sam if you want to upgrade see me at Spyderfest for replacements.

JT

Ex-Rocket
04-19-2015, 09:18 PM
Is it held on with Velcro? I like.

Cruzr Joe
04-19-2015, 09:24 PM
Ok, I just made one tiny modification and I'm a happy guy about this product now. Easy to install/remove, solid fit. Production begins Monday, I hope I have enough on hand! On to the next challenge... my cuz said he wants a cup holder for the driver.

Joe and Sam if you want to upgrade see me at Spyderfest for replacements.

JT

OK

Thanks

samewok
04-19-2015, 09:31 PM
Ok if I get out of hospital.

jthornton
04-20-2015, 06:48 AM
Is it held on with Velcro? I like.

Yes, I found some double sided Velcro that works perfect.

JT

jthornton
04-20-2015, 06:50 AM
Ok if I get out of hospital.

Ouch! Get well soon.

You can give your cup holder back to Joe and I'll exchange both at Spyderfest. That is only if you want to.

JT

samewok
04-20-2015, 07:44 AM
Thank you.

Ex-Rocket
04-20-2015, 09:27 AM
JT, do you know when these will be available to purchase from your site? I tried to order this morning but wouldn't let me.

jthornton
04-20-2015, 10:03 AM
JT, do you know when these will be available to purchase from your site? I tried to order this morning but wouldn't let me.

I should have a batch done mid week. As soon as I have some ready to ship I'll update the inventory and the store will allow you to order.

JT

jthornton
04-21-2015, 03:13 PM
:yes:

Ex-Rocket
04-21-2015, 07:29 PM
Got me one ordered.:yes:

Ex-Rocket
04-27-2015, 08:53 PM
Jt, just wanted to let you know that I received the cup holder today. Thanks

jthornton
04-28-2015, 06:49 AM
Jt, just wanted to let you know that I received the cup holder today. Thanks

Thanks for the order, I hope you like it.

JT