PDA

View Full Version : Is BRP DEALER REQUIRED

thereverend
04-01-2015, 09:07 PM
To have brp "trained" /certified mechanics on staff in order to have a dealership? And how would go about knowing that they are or are not? Like when you go to the Dr. He/she has a certificate/diploma hanging on the wall...just wondering..

oldguyinTX
04-01-2015, 09:11 PM
I know from my own experience that technicians do get training from BRP. Last summer I had to wait a week for service because the tech at my dealership was gone for a week for SeaDoo training, and the owner told me that he also goes for Spyder training. I would suspect that it is a requirement by BRP that techs be trained, and continually update that training for all BRP products.

ARtraveler
04-01-2015, 09:24 PM
We hear regularly that dealer such and such does not have "officially" trained techs. Techs come and go pretty fast at some dealerships.

Not sure what the BRP requirements are exactly--but I don't think BRP trained techs are enforced.

Then, the dealer side. Spend good money to train employee X and they go on to "greener" pastures.

It would be good to know what the real story is. :thumbup:

Chupaca
04-01-2015, 10:33 PM
I had certificates for all the training I got from Honda Suzuki and Polaris. We never displayed them but would get one for every update as well. I have a book of them, would cover a wall. Never got any for Kawasaki but we were a dealer and I worked on them a lot....you could always check with brp..I would think they have a list...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-02-2015, 06:47 AM
:agree: Read what's hanging on the walls, and don't be afraid to ask questions. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-02-2015, 07:32 AM
Cynicism... Taken to the highest level!

SPYD1
04-02-2015, 07:53 AM
When I had to have my RS serviced, I went into a dealership and asked to speak with the service manager. I then asked him if he had Certified Trained BRP Spyder mechanics and asked to talk to him. I did, sort of like an interview. I felt more comfortable at that point. I know of others that have done this.

Bob Denman
04-02-2015, 07:57 AM
That's the BESTEST way to handle all of this! :clap: :firstplace: :2thumbs:

blacklightning
04-02-2015, 08:10 AM
When I had to have my RS serviced, I went into a dealership and asked to speak with the service manager. I then asked him if he had Certified Trained BRP Spyder mechanics and asked to talk to him. I did, sort of like an interview. I felt more comfortable at that point. I know of others that have done this.
That is exactly what I did when looking for a dealer to service my spyder. Even before doing that, I talked to the private mechanic that used to service my M109. He knew the service tech, because he used to work with him at a kawasaki/suzuki dealership. After getting the run down on him, I felt better.

BrewerCycles
04-02-2015, 10:33 AM
So, it turns out that BRP does require at least one person to be a "Certified Tech" and that does entail instructional videos and tests. However, there is another level, referred to as a "Master Tech" and the requirements are much more stringent:

Must have 5 years MIN experience
Must be employed at the SAME BRP dealership for MIN of 2 years
Must be a Cert Tech for a MIN of 1 year
Must attend week-long BRP school (for each product line: Watercraft, ATV/SxS, Spyder)
Must score MIN of 90% on ALL tests on FIRST try.

Brewer Cycles maintains Master Techs as well as our BRP Platinum Certified status. We'd love to help you if we're too far, hopefully, this answers your questions and will provide useful info as you vet the next service dept.

Happy Riding!! ;)

ARtraveler
04-02-2015, 01:16 PM
So, it turns out that BRP does require at least one person to be a "Certified Tech" and that does entail instructional videos and tests. However, there is another level, referred to as a "Master Tech" and the requirements are much more stringent:

Must attend week-long BRP school (for each product line: Watercraft, ATV/SxS, Spyder)

Brewer Cycles maintains Master Techs as well as our BRP Platinum Certified status. We'd love to help you if we're too far, hopefully, this answers your questions and will provide useful info as you vet the next service dept.

Happy Riding!! ;)

Thank you for posting. This is the information that many of us were looking for. :bowdown:

Pennyrick
04-02-2015, 02:16 PM
To have brp "trained" /certified mechanics on staff in order to have a dealership? And how would go about knowing that they are or are not? Like when you go to the Dr. He/she has a certificate/diploma hanging on the wall...just wondering..

No.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-02-2015, 11:04 PM
:agree: Read what's hanging on the walls, and don't be afraid to ask questions. :thumbup:
When I was doing audits of quality management systems in factories I often told the team, and others, "A quality certificate on the wall does not guarantee quality practices on the floor!"

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-02-2015, 11:05 PM
Cynicism... Taken to the highest level!
If everybody around me wasn't so negative, I wouldn't be so cynical! :rolleyes:

bullant12
04-03-2015, 07:51 AM

"Trained" means that three good ole boys all watched the same video on the internet and at least two of the three agreed on one or more answers. When it was all over, they each typed their name into a space and all printed out a certificate that looks good on the wall. If it comes from the internet, it "has" to be real.

No.

That WOULD be the right answer... but it's a twofold. In order for a BRP dealer to achieve a rating, part of that rating comes from the amount of training and certifications the staff has achieved. If the dealer owners don't feel that their techs don't need a whole lot of training... well... it's their reputation on the line.

This explanation is accurate:

Happy Riding!! ;)

Having a Master Tech is the ultimate certification that a dealer wants to upkeep a reputation.

bruiser
04-03-2015, 02:03 PM

Happy Riding!! ;)

And that my friends is why I have Brewer Cycles as my go to dealer. Yes, they are two hours away, but it's worth the drive. Ok, we do have the same last name too. But not related.