PDA

View Full Version : Who is it?

IMRU3
11-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Hello SpyderLovers. I have been wanting to ask this question: Who's the grinning guy on the picture of SpyderLovers header? Is that our leader, Lamonster? I cannot tell. It's extremely close up. This is like a trivia question.

Lamonster
11-22-2008, 12:55 PM
That's not me but I've had that grin on my face ever since I started riding motorcycles. :thumbup::D;)

IMRU3
11-22-2008, 01:14 PM
That's not me but I've had that grin on my face ever since I started riding motorcycles. :thumbup::D;)

I know what you mean. Riding is so much fun which could bring out that grin on anyone :D.

Lamonster
11-22-2008, 01:46 PM
So how long have we all been in the wind?

Been riding since I was 12 and I'll 50 :yikes: in a couple of months. :doorag:

Director
11-22-2008, 03:03 PM

Started riding when I was 17. Just turned 56 a few months ago. Yikes!:yikes:

IMRU3
11-22-2008, 03:17 PM

I hope scooters and mopeds can be considered in the category. That was my ride in high school and college.:) I took my MSF class three years ago. I started with a Honda Rebel. I was hooked. Then, I decided to get a Honda Shadow early this year. But I fell in love with the Spyder last year. I wish I could have started riding in my younger years. I am 41 and enjoying my ride.

ingramwc
11-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Started at 17, gave it up for wife #1. Wife #2 doesn't trust 2 wheels but says I can ride if I want. Duh, let me think. Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got a messed up left leg though, need an SE5 or some type of twist and go. Aprilia has an automatic also. Realy would druther a red SE5.
I'll be 60 next March.

Wes

AMTJIM
11-22-2008, 03:24 PM
I think his name is Buggy Digesterson...

jwfranklin
11-22-2008, 05:19 PM
I got my first, when I was 11, a sears moped, bought it used off another boy for I beleive was $25.00, mama had a fit. Daddy was a Harley rider from back in the 40's, when he got back home. I was told the first and last time my mom was on a motorcycle was on her first date with my dad. drove the moped until I could't fix her anymore. Didn't get a real bike until I was 18, a 350 Honda, mostly because mom wouldn't here of it. I beleive the number of bikes I've owned is over 30. A few years before my father died. I had took him to the funeral of one of my mom's sisters. Someone there knew him from way back, and asked if he was still riding a Harley. He told him I did the Harley riding in the family now. I could have not have been so proud.

Wayne

Roaddog2
11-22-2008, 05:33 PM
First mini bike rupp sprint when I was 7 bye nine Suzuki 80cc 9th grade triumph Bonnevile chopper 16 first panhead 57 poilce no front brake and so and so on now 50 1 H-D 1 Spyder so I guess 43 years on street legal since 16:thumbup:and my Mom hit me over the head with a 9" skillet black iron frying pan when I brought home first H-D.

Rockferg
11-22-2008, 05:57 PM
I got my first way back on Sept 25 this year. A Spyder. Been enjoying it ever since. I'll be 45 a week from today.

Greg F

Motza
11-22-2008, 06:17 PM
1970 Rode a Harley 90cc or was it a 125cc turned it into a trail bike, ran a straight pipe. Blew the engine.
I'll be 52 in January

hawkiii
11-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Used to ride a Honda 90 back in high school. When I got a car with a big back seat the bike got left behind. Rode in the dirt for a few years in the mid 70's. Last year was looking for an old 80's Harley to restore and ride when I found out about the Spyder. Did a demo ride and put my money down. Finally got her in October 08. Just went over 1400 miles today. Wife likes to ride with me but I rode solo today. When I got home my 6 year old grandson wanted to go for a ride. About 7 miles from home there is a spot where deer like to hang out in the afternoon. It was his first time going for that long a ride. He had a blast. 52 and still a youngster.

NancysToy
11-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Started on the Cushman the neighbor gave me when I was 11. Turn 61 in January. As I always say, it's not the age, it's the mileage... :D OK, maybe the speed, too.
-Scotty

retread
11-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Started on a '48 Cushman Pacemaker I bought with a blown engine in 1955 for $15.00. Turned 67 the first of this month, havin' too much fun to stop. Be better if my wife was still here, hope to see her again soon.

araneae
11-22-2008, 09:23 PM
I started riding at the age of 8 and am 51 now. In high school I worked part time for the Kawasaki dealer in Rapid City, SD and got to ride many different motorcycles. Over the years I have owned over 30 bikes but nothing is like the Spyder. I remember taking the first 1973 Kawasaki Z1 our dealership received out of the crate, setting it up knowing I was going to the first one in the Black Hills to ride one. I thought how cool it would be to own one of the first ones. Well that happened with the Spyder one year ago when I got the call and was one of the first in Phoenix to take delivery.

Bryan

SSG Bean
11-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Had a Kawasaki 80cc dirtbike as a kid.... 11 or 12 I think. It had the smaller wheels so I wouldn't have trouble reaching the ground. It was great, and an awesome way to learn to ride. However, I out-grew it and didn't have anything else. I've been thinking very hard for the last few years about getting something, but had been a little scared till now. I worked in the Pathology department of the hospital at Ft. Bragg and saw several riders come through the back doors in body bags. I know a lot of them were careless and probably caused the accidents on their own, but not all. I was always scared by the ones that were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and due to the laws of physics, came out on the losing end of a collision with a car. The Spyder is the first cycle that really makes me comfortable on the highway with all the much larger vehicles. I think just because it's larger and it gets noticed provides a lot of comfort. All I know for sure is it's a blast!!!:thumbup:

tweeder
11-23-2008, 12:01 AM
This is my first motorcycle, I have a quad and jetski and in the past a snowmobile. 32 here.

wtwing15
11-23-2008, 12:32 AM

Hi I have been riding since I was eight yes 8 BSA bantam I am now 58 on 911 when I can no longer ride it is time to dig the hole ( big enough for my bike and me)
Rob

jimcrom
11-23-2008, 12:37 AM
This is my first motorcycle, I have a quad and jetski and in the past a snowmobile. 32 here.
I rode a mini bike when I was in 8th grade till I was caught by the cops. Grounded for two months couldn't go out of my room except to eat & go to school, then three months couldn't go off the street. When I joined the Army I bought a 175 Yamaha while stationed in Hawaii. Later I bought a Vespa moped. Had a scooter while in Germany. When I came back from Germany in 1992 I bought a 1980 650 Honda. Had that until I got a 84 Honda Goldwing. Had been looking for a trike and was looking at the Piaggi MP3 when I found out about the Spyder & fell in love with it. I have had mine since May & it is the best thing that I have bought in a long time. 52 years old

Lamonster
11-23-2008, 08:03 AM
This was me on my first bike. It was a 1969 Kaw 90 Bushmaster :2thumbs:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=396http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=397

Spydroe
11-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Started riding my dads Royal Enfield and Triumph after going thru minibikes and tote goats (anyone remember them) all starting at 7. Then the day I turned 16 bought a brand new !967 Triumph for $1200. Then in 69 rode a Honda 750 four and had to have one. In 73 I was in San Diego on my 750 and rode the new Kawasaki 903 and came back home and bought that. Now I have a Kawasaki zx14, a Yamaha Warrior, and another Triumph Tr6 that is totally restored and is the exact same bike as the one I bought new in 67. I have my spyder with my bushtec trailer and seem to be riding it the most these days. Im 57 and my dad is 88 and he rode the spyder and I rode my zx14 yesterday on a 275 mile ride in the mountains here in sunny, burning Ca.

Rando
11-23-2008, 10:17 AM
I started with a Rupp minibike in 1970. I traded with my cousin a couple a years later for an Allstate motorcycle. It was a basket case. He got the better end of the deal since I never could get the Allstate running.

In 1976, I joined the Navy, got married and started a family. I tried a motorcycle again in 1981, a 1967 BMW. I had it less than 24 hours and had an accident. High speed shimmy, lost control, sent me flying. It took a week in the hospital to recover. Thank God I had a helmet!

Got my Spyder in April, when I turned 50 and love every minute with it! Still wish I had my Rupp though.

NancysToy
11-23-2008, 11:02 AM
I think it is a real testimony to the Spyder that so many of us here, who have ridden for so long, and have owned dozens of bikes (or still do :)), love the Spyder, and have taken so kindly to it. It is a real pat on the back that such experienced riders love it as much as the beginners or folks that are returning. Not many machines could stake their claim to such a wide audience.
-Scotty

ataDude
11-23-2008, 11:21 AM
... Im 57 and my dad is 88 and he rode the spyder and I rode my zx14 yesterday on a 275 mile ride in the mountains here in sunny, burning Ca...

That is so cool. I wish my Dad had lived to ride mine and to see what life has brought me!

He was a Harley rider back before it was "fashionable" but sold it when his first kid (my brother) arrived.

IMRU3
11-23-2008, 11:59 AM
This was me on my first bike. It was a 1969 Kaw 90 Bushmaster :2thumbs:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=396http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=397

Time flies, indeed. But we are all still having fun. Awesome pictures by the way.

SSPSpyder
11-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Hey wtwing15,
please give us some info on the tail light/license plate set-up shown on your avatar picture - looks cool.

Director
11-23-2008, 05:45 PM
I think it is a real testimony to the Spyder that so many of us here, who have ridden for so long, and have owned dozens of bikes (or still do :)), love the Spyder, and have taken so kindly to it. It is a real pat on the back that such experienced riders love it as much as the beginners or folks that are returning. Not many machines could stake their claim to such a wide audience.
-Scotty
:agree:100%, Scotty. My dealer mentioned the same thing to me a while ago. He thought it was a sign that the Spyder is the "real deal" when experienced motorcycle riders have embraced it as so many of us have!

Cheers,

Bruce

Roaddog2
11-23-2008, 06:52 PM
-Scotty:agree::spyder:

Spyderman62
11-23-2008, 08:08 PM
That is the face of our inner self. The smile we all feel inside because we are riding/owning Spyders.

richie
11-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Yeah! what gets me is a lot of bikers think us spyder owners have no idea how to ride a two wheeler,when in fact a lot of us been riding motorcycles b-4 they were born. Going on 70 and having a ball

GeminiJane
11-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Scotty's right - not sure I'll be ready to give up 2-wheelin' also for a while, though - still have 8 motorcycles in the garage now- sport tourers and sport bikes, but wouldn't want to give up Spyder ryding, either.
My love for cycles started when I was five - the "older" man down the road (he was 15) had an old Harley and hung out at our house because his family were vegetarians and had no t.v. so he ate at our house a lot and hung out; he'd put me up front and warned me to keep my bare toes out of the front wheel! My first solo bike was in 7th grade - we live in a small rural community where back then details like driver's permits were pretty much overlooked. First new bike, a Kawasaki, was when I was a junior in high school - my Dad footed me $250 toward a used car but I took the money and took out a loan to buy a bike instead. Have owned a bunch through the years. I'm 55 and a gurl.

wtwing15
11-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Hey wtwing15,
please give us some info on the tail light/license plate set-up shown on your avatar picture - looks cool.

Hi the tail light is a LED reversing light in Australia the:spyder:must be fitted with a reversing light. the licence plate set up is of my 1800 Goldwing hear is the link
http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/22471
Glad you like it
Rob

Director
11-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Started on a '48 Cushman Pacemaker I bought with a blown engine in 1955 for $15.00. Turned 67 the first of this month, havin' too much fun to stop. Be better if my wife was still here, hope to see her again soon.

I am sorry for your loss, retread. I do believe that we will ultimately see those we have loved and lost in the next life.

Bruce

NancysToy
11-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Scotty's right - not sure I'll be ready to give up 2-wheelin' also for a while, though - still have 8 motorcycles in the garage now- sport tourers and sport bikes, but wouldn't want to give up Spyder ryding, either.
I'm with you. The Spyder is number 23 in the garage. I still have the bike I raced when I was 18, a Honda CB92R, their first OTC race bike.

My love for cycles started when I was five - the "older" man down the road (he was 15) had an old Harley and hung out at our house because his family were vegetarians and had no t.v. so he ate at our house a lot and hung out; he'd put me up front and warned me to keep my bare toes out of the front wheel!
My folks stuck me between them on my uncle's Harley when I was about one. Took many rides that way but don't remember a thing. Ruined me for life, though. :) That picture in the family album was good ammunition when I finally wanted a bike of my own. I'd say "You started it!" and my Mom would have no good rebuttal. 55 and a gurl is good, BTW. My wife is 55 and she seems to be a gurl. The Spyder (that I steal) is hers.
-Scotty

kma10-4
11-24-2008, 04:54 PM
mini bikes and go carts since 6 now going on 52. first street bike honda 100 i believe enduro. then chopped 51 BSA boy did i learn how to turn a wrench when i got that.. to many to list since then .now ridin spyder except when wife tags along.she wont get on back of my HD anymore ..got her own as she says..started my son on honda 50 when 3 yrs old .his feet only would touch top of eng case hold upright between my knees then tell him go .same when stopping ..except the few falls then i would have to go help him up..he's 30now 3 street bikes 5 quads, 2 snowmobiles. so when i go to idaho city i got something to do

barb36jack31
11-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Started in 1946, Whizzer bike. Now am 77 and I still have that grin all over my face!!

Jack H.