PDA

View Full Version : CONSUMER REPORT

SPYD3R
03-30-2015, 04:45 PM
CONSUMER REPORT, May 2015 issue has rated 10 motorcycles: BMW, CAN AM, DUCATI, HARLEY, HONDA, KAWASAKI, SUZUKI, TRIUMPH, VICTORY & YAMAHA...
YAMAHA came in 1st for "how ofter they go to the repair shop" yet it was 6th on "would owners buy it again"... our SPYD3R came in dead last on "repair shop" yet it came in 5th on "would you buy again".... pretty good article... Victory won the top spot on "buy again"... HD came in 2nd place... what really surprised me was that BMW came in 9th place, 1 ahead of CAN AM, on "repair shop" visits.... and here i always thought that BMW was the primo bike on the road... Honda came in 3rd on both counts...
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R F3-S

ARtraveler
03-30-2015, 05:10 PM
Good information. Thanks. :2thumbs::2thumbs:

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-30-2015, 05:14 PM
Online copy isn't posted yet.

Bob Denman
03-30-2015, 05:25 PM
What conclusions did they draw from their research? :dontknow:
Thanks! :thumbup:

SPYD3R
03-30-2015, 05:31 PM
What conclusions did they draw from their research? :dontknow:
Thanks! :thumbup:

Quote: "We realize that buying a motorcycle is often more about passion than practicality; even so, out findings can help you make an informed purchase decision."

datz what dey said Bobby...
dp

Bob Denman
03-30-2015, 05:46 PM
:D :2thumbs:

Deanna777
03-30-2015, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the info. Deanna :ohyea:

Chupaca
03-30-2015, 06:12 PM
always take it with a grain of salt. Depends on where they collect the data from. But you need a starting point. Thanks for info..:2thumbs:

900Dave
03-30-2015, 07:25 PM
The BMW's do not suprise me at all. German made cars (although they may be some of the most luxurious and best handling and a really good ride) They are not anything close to reliable. Dont go too far from the repair shop. So why would there bikes be any different. American made cars as well as Japanese and Korean made vehicles are far more reliable than anything from Germany.

ABQSpyder
03-30-2015, 08:33 PM
The BMW's do not suprise me at all. German made cars (although they may be some of the most luxurious and best handling and a really good ride) They are not anything close to reliable. Dont go too far from the repair shop. So why would there bikes be any different. American made cars as well as Japanese and Korean made vehicles are far more reliable than anything from Germany.

I had a BMW 1999 R1100RT when I sold it with 98,000 miles I hated to see it go. I would get on that bike today if I still had it and ride it any where anytime. I'm sure the maintenance schedule on my BMW was a lot less money than my Spyder. The kicker though I'd trust my BMW mechanic over any Spyder mechanic I've ever meet!
Just sayin.
Don't remember BMW bikes catching on Fire! Yikes.
There last recall they were willing to replace the Bike.
Guess I was so stupid for riding such an inferior product.

Like every thing else there are Good and Bad.

Again Just sayin

SpyderAnn01
03-30-2015, 09:48 PM
I think that the BMW issue is that they don't have a lot of dealers so you may get stuck if you are on the road. They don't stock parts and their repairs can be expensive, kind of sounds like our Spyders.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-30-2015, 10:04 PM
Just my .02 on this one. I really trust Consumer Reports , they don't take Ads so they don't have any Ass*s to kiss......But on the Repair / Service thing....well the Spyder demographics lean toward affluent , older, non-mechanically inclined, lets pay someone else - even if it's a total rip-off sort of group....( no offense intended )........plus I'd venture that most of their numbers were derived from the 998 engine / trans /clutch spyders ......I think this will change dramatically with 1330 Ace engine numbers.................................JMHO...... .Mike :thumbup:

daveinva
03-30-2015, 10:32 PM
Just my .02 on this one. I really trust Consumer Reports , they don't take Ads so they don't have any Ass*s to kiss......But on the Repair / Service thing....well the Spyder demographics lean toward affluent , older, non-mechanically inclined, lets pay someone else - even if it's a total rip-off sort of group....( no offense intended )........plus I'd venture that most of their numbers were derived from the 998 engine / trans /clutch spyders ......I think this will change dramatically with 1330 Ace engine numbers.................................JMHO...... .Mike :thumbup:

To be technical about it, the 998 is a *rock*, as dead-reliable a bike engine that's ever been manufactured-- it's the other quirks with first-gen Spyders that come into play.

I'm curious about the survey dates; knowing the likely lag time, I wonder if CR caught a whole slew of seriously peeved 2013 owners up in their reliability survey.

BTW, RE: BMW bikes... they're like BMW (and other German) cars: outstanding mechanical marvels that are the equal of or superior to anything else on the road... when they work. Thing is, the Germans love to build to tolerances and precision that no other manufacturers seem to do, which makes for a fine product, but expensive routine service and even more expensive, sometimes nightmarish, repairs. I *still* have nightmares knowing I needed special tools to swap out Volkswagen batteries and headlight bulbs. :banghead:

Still, I'd buy a BMW bike tomorrow, no anxiety whatsoever. Heck, I bought a Can-Am Spyder, what could I possibly be worried about? :joke:

ABQSpyder
03-30-2015, 11:00 PM
I was lucky to have what I think was one of the best BMW dealers in the country.
Cost well they charged $90.00 a hour.
If bike went in for repair they gave you a loaner. Yes a loaner. :bowdown:
If knees weren't a problem I'd still be riding my BMW.

bikeguy
03-30-2015, 11:41 PM
I have ridden BMW's since 1974 and still have one to go with my 2010 RT. If you do all the recommended maintenance on BMW's, I think they are as rock solid and reliable as anything on the road. But, like Can-Am, BMW recommends a lot of maintenance and some of it requires considerable mechanical ability to perform. For example, on the boxer twins with a dry clutch, the clutch splines must be lubricated at regular intervals and it is a major job, requiring the transmission to be removed or at least backed away from the engine. Most owners, even those with pretty good mechanical skills, will take it to a shop for that maintenance. Also, where a Spyder only requires changing engine/transmission oil, a BMW boxer twin requires changing engine oil, transmission fluid, drive shaft fluid, and rear gear fluid. So, it's easy to see that owners, unless they are very skilled mechanically, will go to the dealer a lot for maintenance. Personally, I never had one of my BMW's in the shop for either repairs or maintenance but they were all bought used, out of warranty, so I felt safe enough in doing my own maintenance and repair. As far as repairs, the alternator rotor went open on my 1973 R75/5 and I was able to fix it myself. It would probably have stranded me on a cold morning south of Marathon, Texas when it wouldn't start with either the electric start or the kick starter ( it had both ) if I hadn't been on top of the highest point in the country and was able to bump start it after coasting up to about 30 MPH. None of my other BMW's ever had any issues. The only other motorcycle I'd put in the same category with BMW's for reliability would be Honda Goldwings. They are bullet proof.

Personally, I don't care much for Consumer Reports, although I believe you can get some good information from their reports at times. It just seems to me that their criteria for cars and motorcycles are very different from mine.

Cotton

Rockwall
03-31-2015, 09:02 AM
They must be factoring in the 2013 Spyders. (I really feel bad for everybody who has had problems. I almost bought one myself.):doorag:

900Dave
03-31-2015, 06:58 PM
I had a BMW 1999 R1100RT when I sold it with 98,000 miles I hated to see it go. I would get on that bike today if I still had it and ride it any where anytime. I'm sure the maintenance schedule on my BMW was a lot less money than my Spyder. The kicker though I'd trust my BMW mechanic over any Spyder mechanic I've ever meet!
Just sayin.
Don't remember BMW bikes catching on Fire! Yikes.
There last recall they were willing to replace the Bike.
Guess I was so stupid for riding such an inferior product.

Like every thing else there are Good and Bad.

Again Just sayin

I am not insinuating that your BMW bike or anyone elses has been unreliable. Sorry if it came out that way.

In my opinion German vehicles are very well engineered but may not in fact be the most dependable. Therefore I choose not to buy them. This is only my opinion.

dlby
03-31-2015, 08:50 PM
So many rides---
So little time-'-'
I would love to love all of them
Have loved quite a few

Got the 14 rtse6 out there talking to me now
Oh yeah try to love em all in their own way

jaherbst
03-31-2015, 10:17 PM
I am not insinuating that your BMW bike or anyone elses has been unreliable. Sorry if it came out that way. I read a lot of article on cars and there dependability ect. ect. The German vehicles are not near the top in those categories and could only assume the same for there bikes. That being said I never owned a German vehicle and never will. I work for a German owned company enough said!

AAW--he just doesn't like Sour Kraut. A broad statement for someone who never owned a German vehicle. I have had dozens of Porsches, BMW's, Mercedes, Volkswagens cars and never had problem number one. I have had a half dozen BMW motorcycles and still own a 650GS and a R1200RT never a problem. If your too cheap to keep up the maintenance schedule you probably should not own one. There is nothing like German engineering. We would still be walking around the planet and not on the Moon had it not been for German engineering. Alright, Alright I'll stop!

Jack

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-31-2015, 10:39 PM
To be technical about it, the 998 is a *rock*, as dead-reliable a bike engine that's ever been manufactured-- it's the other quirks with first-gen Spyders that come into play.

I'm curious about the survey dates; knowing the likely lag time, I wonder if CR caught a whole slew of seriously peeved 2013 owners up in their reliability survey.

BTW, RE: BMW bikes... they're like BMW (and other German) cars: outstanding mechanical marvels that are the equal of or superior to anything else on the road... when they work. Thing is, the Germans love to build to tolerances and precision that no other manufacturers seem to do, which makes for a fine product, but expensive routine service and even more expensive, sometimes nightmarish, repairs. I *still* have nightmares knowing I needed special tools to swap out Volkswagen batteries and headlight bulbs. :banghead:

Still, I'd buy a BMW bike tomorrow, no anxiety whatsoever. Heck, I bought a Can-Am Spyder, what could I possibly be worried about? :joke:

:dontknow:....Dave the 998 may be a " ROCK ", but if you compare the 998 to 1330 maintenance / service schedule and associated dealer charges ( and I'm sure Consumer Reports DID ) ....the 1330 is a bargain..............just sayin........Mike :thumbup:

900Dave
04-01-2015, 04:51 AM
AAW--he just doesn't like Sour Kraut. A broad statement for someone who never owned a German vehicle. I have had dozens of Porsches, BMW's, Mercedes, Volkswagens cars and never had problem number one. I have had a half dozen BMW motorcycles and still own a 650GS and a R1200RT never a problem. If your too cheap to keep up the maintenance schedule you probably should not own one. There is nothing like German engineering. We would still be walking around the planet and not on the Moon had it not been for German engineering. Alright, Alright I'll stop!

Jack

I love Sour Kraut :thumbup:

pauly1
04-01-2015, 06:50 AM
The Rotax motors are Austrian. That's pretty close to Germany.

Wayne

Lou
04-01-2015, 07:29 AM
I have the report in PDF format but can't seem to be able to attach file here....any suggestions or can I e-mail it to someone to post?

jcthorne
04-01-2015, 09:45 AM
:dontknow:....Dave the 998 may be a " ROCK ", but if you compare the 998 to 1330 maintenance / service schedule and associated dealer charges ( and I'm sure Consumer Reports DID ) ....the 1330 is a bargain..............just sayin........Mike :thumbup:

The only real world difference is the valve lash check / adjustment recommended for the 998 at 14k that is normally not even needed. They dropped the recommendation for the 1330. Otherwise, for 99.9% of owners, the maintenance schedule is still annual.

Dan_Ashley
04-01-2015, 10:18 AM
My 2012 RT with 17,000 miles has been as reliable as any car I've owned.

napper39
04-01-2015, 10:47 AM
:yikes: yiks i do have a 2013 spyder rt and its been a grate ride yes some heat but i got it under cantrole for now ,and hoping the new fix will make it better ,but i do like it and much better than the 2010 rs that hurt my kneews after a 20 min ride;so lets go for a ride now its 65 out today im gone.:chat:

jaherbst
04-01-2015, 10:52 AM
I love Sour Kraut :thumbup:

Me too, nothing better than Sour kraut and Pork with butter on dark rye bread!:thumbup:

Jack

daveinva
04-01-2015, 11:39 AM

True, if you're just measuring cost-of-ownership and the PITA of a service schedule, which I'm sure CR includes.

But I know that CR places a lot of emphasis on actual reliability, and when it comes to that, the 998 is about as reliable as they get. It's what "surrounds" the engine that can get folks in trouble.

pitzerwm
04-01-2015, 01:00 PM
I have the report in PDF format but can't seem to be able to attach file here....any suggestions or can I e-mail it to someone to post?

Send it to me see address in sig card

Lou
04-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Hi Bill,

My home and work e-mail is not liking that e-mail address

Lou

Need a host added to e-mail address, such as; @yahoo.com or @gmail.com......

Send it to me see address in sig card

SpyderDon
04-01-2015, 06:46 PM
CR bases most of their findings on surveys. Have any of you completed one on motorcycles, I have not...

robmorg
04-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Interesting. Before owning my Spyder, I had nothing but Japanese bikes. Last three were a Yamaha and two Kawi's. I honestly cannot recall any of them ever being in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance and tire replacements.

MarkLawson
04-02-2015, 07:05 AM
Unfortunately, BRP stumbled in their first few years of the Spyder and earned their bottom spot on the "repair Shop" ranking.

Lou
04-02-2015, 07:22 AM
Best I can do with what I have........can't seem to rotate the sucker so tip your heads sideways :shocked:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104682&stc=1

bronzeflex42
04-02-2015, 08:30 AM
I had a 2003 Honda Shadow 750. I have to say i didn't have any trouble with that bike and had it bout 4 years. I bought it used. The :spyder: is a whole different riding experience. I have not had any trouble with my :spyder: so far, 2012 Limited. Had it a little over a year and bought it used.

robmorg
04-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Sorry. I can't walk by a crooked picture without straightening it. :opps:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104692&stc=1

Bob Denman
04-02-2015, 11:22 AM
:shocked:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104693&stc=1

Dan_Ashley
04-02-2015, 11:54 AM
I had a 2003 Honda Shadow 750. I have to say i didn't have any trouble with that bike and had it bout 4 years. I bought it used. The :spyder: is a whole different riding experience. I have not had any trouble with my :spyder: so far, 2012 Limited. Had it a little over a year and bought it used.
I had a Yamaha 50 that needed repair so often that I gave it away. I had a Suzuki that never needed anything. I had a BMW that was middle of the road.

So what? If you have high performance machines, you will have repair bills.

ARtraveler
04-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Interesting. Before owning my Spyder, I had nothing but Japanese bikes. Last three were a Yamaha and two Kawi's. I honestly cannot recall any of them ever being in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance and tire replacements.

Likewise. Had over 40 rice burners. No mechanical problems with any of them other than routine maintenance and tires.

jgwoods
04-02-2015, 04:29 PM
When you are BRP and doing cutting edge designs packed with cool technology, and lots of accessories, you tend to have more service issues than say a Victory V-Twin.

I own both, have not had problems with either.
Over the time I have owned 3 Spyders I have had a few of the classic problems but no Spyder I ever owned had to stay in the shop for a fix longer than one day.

SPYD3R
04-02-2015, 04:56 PM
:shocked:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104693&stc=1

CRACKED ME UP..... :roflblack: I LOVE IT... :thumbup: :clap:

Bob Denman
04-02-2015, 05:06 PM
Here's another one... :shocked:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104723&stc=1

robmorg
04-02-2015, 06:23 PM
They are BOTH pretty funny. :roflblack:

vtrider
04-08-2015, 04:43 PM
I've had two Spyders with the 990 engine so far. My 1st was the 2008 GS SM5 and my latest, the 2013 RT limited SE5. Overall I've been happy with both and not much to complain about. As far as heat issues go, in all honesty my 2008 GS ran worse in those hot humid summer days and at times went into limp mode. I haven't had that kind of issue so far with the 2013 RT except when I climbed Mt Equinox at last years Spyderquest riding 2up with my daughter. It was running rough at the top of the mountain. Coming down it was fine and no issues for the rest of the event. These are high tech machines and need to be maintained in order to minimize problems. In fact the RT is due for it's 12,000 mile service, which I have scheduled for next week. I'm also waiting on the BRP recall update. I do see a 1330 ( F3 maybe?) in my future, but not at the expense of a loss I would take on trade-in at this time. My 2013 is still a pleasure to ride and I'm willing to keep it for more miles.

Big F
04-09-2015, 09:25 AM
CONSUMER REPORT, May 2015 issue has rated 10 motorcycles: BMW, CAN AM, DUCATI, HARLEY, HONDA, KAWASAKI, SUZUKI, TRIUMPH, VICTORY & YAMAHA...
YAMAHA came in 1st for "how ofter they go to the repair shop" yet it was 6th on "would owners buy it again"... our SPYD3R came in dead last on "repair shop" yet it came in 5th on "would you buy again".... pretty good article... Victory won the top spot on "buy again"... HD came in 2nd place... what really surprised me was that BMW came in 9th place, 1 ahead of CAN AM, on "repair shop" visits.... and here i always thought that BMW was the primo bike on the road... Honda came in 3rd on both counts...
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R F3-S

We should be interested in knowing how many bikes of each brand were in the survey???? When I read my copy of the report that was the first thought I had.. If they only had a few bikes from each brand the report is skewed or flawed.
BIG F

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-09-2015, 11:38 AM
We should be interested in knowing how many bikes of each brand were in the survey???? When I read my copy of the report that was the first thought I had.. If they only had a few bikes from each brand the report is skewed or flawed.
BIG F
The footnote says over 12,000 m/cs are in the survey. But the fact it also says differences of less than 10% are meaningless indicates the sample size was small, at least for some of the brands. The 10% comment addresses the skew issue you raise.

latony007
04-09-2015, 03:57 PM
the only reason harley rated high on the "would buy again" is because those guys will only buy harleys no matter how unreliable or expensive they are. im surprised the spyder didnt rate lower on the "would you buy again" if for no other reason than all the heat issues with basically every model. I have a yamaha and its awesome. Never a problem so far, knock on wood, although i dont have a ton of miles on it. and it performs great. Always feel like i have a piece of precision engineering under me when i ride it. I liked my Suzuki cruiser a lot too before i sold it for the spyder. The spyder may also rate that high because there isnt really any competition for it and although they are all heat beasts its still the safest out there and especially for 2 up which is what i use it for.