PDA

View Full Version : In Praise of Extended Warranty

Pennyrick
03-30-2015, 02:48 PM
I bought my 2012 RT limited in March 2012 and decided to purchase an extended warranty rather than trade on a 2014 model.

It went in for the 28,000 miles servicing last week and today I got an update from the dealer on the issues I raised when dropping it off.

- Continuous operation of the rear suspension air compressor: Sourced the problem causing it to pump when it shouldn't and have new components on order for plumbing (lines have deteriorated and cracked) and actuating compressor.

- Evidence of coolant leak on garage floor: Hairline crack found in housing connecting to water pump. Some corroded connections. Parts are on order.

When I add these things to the items replaced under warranty at 14,000 miles (Exhaust system, MAP hoses, Catalytic converter, left side control module, angle rotation sensor) I am really glad I decided to spend the $700 for the BEST warranty.

I have the feeling however that once the warranty expires in March of 2017 it may be expensive to keep this Spyder on the road. I love this machine and really would like to drive it for 60-70,000 miles.

PrairieSpyder
03-30-2015, 02:58 PM
It's good to hear how the extended warranties pay off. Luckily I haven't had to fall back on one yet, but I have it, none-the-less.

Thanks for sharing your story.

ARtraveler
03-30-2015, 02:59 PM
You listed several good reasons for the extended warranty purchase. A lot of us got two free years with the purchase of assorted :spyder2:'s and deals they were offering.

This was my first extended warranty so time will tell. Never had major repairs on any of the other :ani29:'s so guess I dodged a bullet or two there.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-30-2015, 05:25 PM
It's good to hear how the extended warranties pay off. Luckily I haven't had to fall back on one yet, but I have it, none-the-less.

Thanks for sharing your story.
Just like any insurance pool. It's existence is predicated on a lot more not ever needing to file a claim than those who do. Those who don't, pay for those who do.