PDA

View Full Version : HOV lanes

Desert Spyder
03-29-2015, 09:07 PM
In Calif, motorcycles are allowed to drive in the HOV or "Diamond Lanes" despite if the have a passenger or not. Not sure if that applies to other states. I was talking to a friend who I haven't seen in two years. He had a RS that got totaled in a parking lot that bent the frame. He wanted a RT but the prices drove him off. I assume not too many used Spyders are at the dealers. They Craigslist them off. But he did buy a 2010 HD trike. His salesman claimed that Spyders, because they have two wheels in front are not allowed in the HOV lanes unless there are two on board and the HD trike with one wheel up front are allowed in the lane going one up. I don't know the accuracy of that statement. Now we got the Slingshots out there which will probably encounter the same situation. Any law men out there that can verify what the law says on this?

Spyder 42
03-29-2015, 09:13 PM
In Georgia, the Spyder is titled as a motorcycle and has access to the HOT /HOV lanes here in Atlanta. The HOT lanes require a $20 registration but no toll is assessed. One advantage of the Peach Pass is that it is good for NC and FL toll roads.

finless
03-29-2015, 09:21 PM
I am in Cali and commute to work every day in the HOV lane,
I am not a law man but I researched this before buying a Spyder.
They are fully legal in the HOV lane.
Ca considers 3 wheels a motor cycle and ther is no statute about the configuration of the 3.

Stevedfive is a retired cop out here so he can elaborate if he sees this post.

Bob

PaladinLV
03-29-2015, 09:23 PM
OK in NV

AJ

In Calif, motorcycles are allowed to drive in the HOV or "Diamond Lanes" despite if the have a passenger or not. Not sure if that applies to other states. I was talking to a friend who I haven't seen in two years. He had a RS that got totaled in a parking lot that bent the frame. He wanted a RT but the prices drove him off. I assume not too many used Spyders are at the dealers. They Craigslist them off. But he did buy a 2010 HD trike. His salesman claimed that Spyders, because they have two wheels in front are not allowed in the HOV lanes unless there are two on board and the HD trike with one wheel up front are allowed in the lane going one up. I don't know the accuracy of that statement. Now we got the Slingshots out there which will probably encounter the same situation. Any law men out there that can verify what the law says on this?

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-29-2015, 10:04 PM

The key word here is " SALESMAN " .....:gaah: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:......I don't think I have to elaborate ........Mike :thumbup:

OwnerOfHarriet
03-29-2015, 10:09 PM
Seems to me, there was a law suit a couple of years back with the Feds against a state and HOV lanes. The state said motorcycles weren't allowed in the HOV lanes -- the Feds, thats fine except on Interstate Highways and they would also take all road funding away from them. The state decided that motorcycles were okay in HOV lanes

HIspyder
03-29-2015, 10:23 PM
I am in Cali and commute to work every day in the HOV lane,
I am not a law man but I researched this before buying a Spyder.
They are fully legal in the HOV lane.
Ca considers 3 wheels a motor cycle and ther is no statute about the configuration of the 3.

Stevedfive isn't a retired cop out here so he can elaborate if he sees this post.

Bob

I find it interesting that a MC license is not required to drive a Spyder in CA, yet they can travel in the HOV lane as a MC?

Perhaps it just boils down to fuel economy?

Cavman
03-29-2015, 10:24 PM
If you CALL in GA, the Peach Pass is FREE! I did the process last year and got mine FREE. It's supposed to good on the HOT lanes and up and down I-85 where you would use the Peach Pass anyway. If you order the Peach Pass online, you will have to pay for it. I got this information from ABATE of GA as I am a member.

SpyderAnn01
03-29-2015, 10:30 PM
I find it interesting that a MC license is not required to drive a Spyder in CA, yet they can travel in the HOV lane as a MC?

Perhaps it just boils down to fuel economy?

That makes me wonder if in Nevada, where the Spyder is licensed as a motorcycle (single wheel drive) and the HD trike is not, if you would get a ticket if you rode the HD in the HOV lane. Hmmmm.

Desert Spyder
03-29-2015, 10:31 PM
That makes me wonder if in Nevada, where the Spyder is licensed as a motorcycle (single wheel drive) and the HD trike is not, if you would get a ticket if you rode the HD in the HOV lane. Hmmmm.

Good point Ann.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-29-2015, 11:03 PM
Coming back home from Louisiana last fall and driving I-15 through Salt Lake City after seeing one of these signs I said to myself, "Great! I'll ride in the HOV lane." :2thumbs:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104470&stc=1

My euphoria was short lived though when I saw this sign. I was pulling my tent-on-a-trailer behind me. :(

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104471&stc=1

stevedfive
03-30-2015, 12:17 AM
In California, an HOV lane is a special lane used only for carpools, buses, motorcycles*, or decaled low emission vehicles (*regardless of the number of riders on the 2 wheeled motorcycle, 3 wheeled motorcycle, or 2 wheeled motorcycle with a side car attached. Configuration of the three wheels in not an issue but must have an engine larger than 150cc)

Motorcycle Handbook License Requirements

California issues the following license classes for two-wheel vehicle operation:

Class M1-You may operate any two-wheel motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized scooter and all vehicles listed under Class M2.

NOTE: The permit and license requirements in this handbook pertain to two-wheel vehicles and are referenced in Section 12804.9 of the California Vehicle Code.

Class M2-You may operate any motorized bicycle, moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor, or a motorized scooter.

NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three-wheel motorcycle.

PaladinLV
03-30-2015, 01:12 AM
HD Trikes may not need an M endorsement but in most other instances like smog it is treaded like a 2 wheeler, including the OHV lane :)

AJ

SpyderAnn01
03-30-2015, 01:49 AM
HD Trikes may not need an M endorsement but in most other instances like smog it is treaded like a 2 wheeler, including the OHV lane :)

AJ

I'm sure you would never get pulled over but I bet they could ticket you if they so desired. The trikes with 2 in the rear are not technically motorcycles in NV.

stevedfive
03-30-2015, 09:41 AM
Nevada DMV Drivers License Handbook

Desert Spyder
03-30-2015, 09:59 AM
In California, an HOV lane is a special lane used only for carpools, buses, motorcycles*, or decaled low emission vehicles (*regardless of the number of riders on the 2 wheeled motorcycle, 3 wheeled motorcycle, or 2 wheeled motorcycle with a side car attached. Configuration of the three wheels in not an issue but must have an engine larger than 150cc)

Motorcycle Handbook License Requirements

California issues the following license classes for two-wheel vehicle operation:

Class M1-You may operate any two-wheel motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized scooter and all vehicles listed under Class M2.

NOTE: The permit and license requirements in this handbook pertain to two-wheel vehicles and are referenced in Section 12804.9 of the California Vehicle Code.

Class M2-You may operate any motorized bicycle, moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor, or a motorized scooter.

NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three-wheel motorcycle.

Thanks Steve. I thought the info given to my buddy by the salesman was wrong. But it don't hurt to inquire. No telling how many may have gotten the same info. Personally, I would drive in the HOV lane anyway. LOL. Unfortunately that lane may be slowest of the 5 sometimes.The salesman worked at Loma Linda HD BTW.

Dan_Ashley
03-30-2015, 10:27 AM
From the DOT web site: http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freewaymgmt/faq.htm#faq15

Why are motorcycles allowed in some HOV lanes?Motorcycles are permitted by federal law to use HOV lanes, even with only one passenger. The rationale behind allowing motorcycles to use HOV lanes is that it is safer to keep two-wheeled vehicles moving than to have them travel in start-and-stop traffic conditions. States can choose to override this provision of federal law, if they determine that safety is at risk.

so, if your registration says "motorcycle" you can ride in HOV lanes without a passenger. If your registration does not say "motorcycle" or maybe "MC", then you can't.

pitzerwm
03-30-2015, 12:46 PM
Ok in WA

PaladinLV
03-30-2015, 01:13 PM
The trikes with 2 in the rear are not technically motorcycles in NV.

CORRECT! But according to Metro perfectly legal as a "single" in the HOV lanes in NV. If wrong, I'll let the Sgt know! ;)

AJ

Orange Spyder Man
03-30-2015, 03:48 PM
thinking ahead to SpyderFest... I wonder if Spyders are allowed to use HOV lanes in Tennessee ? my Spyder's registration states M/C..

osm

YIRYDE
03-30-2015, 04:09 PM
In VA they are classified as motorcycle's and can be driven in the HOV lanes and HOT lanes (I495 and I95) free of charge. You don't even need a EZ-Pass transponder when using the HOT lanes.

Here is the information I obtained from the following link, https://www.expresslanes.com/faqs.

Can motorcycles use the Express Lanes?
Yes. Motorcycles can use the Express Lanes free of charge and do not need an E-ZPass. If you already have an E-ZPass on your motorcycle, you can leave it in place when you travel on the Express Lanes. The system will detect that you're traveling via motorcycle and not charge you a toll. Please note that autocycles are not classified as motorcycles under Federal or Virginia code. Autocycle users must pay a toll with an E-ZPass if they chose to travel on the Express Lanes.

pegasus1300
03-30-2015, 04:30 PM
Coming back home from Louisiana last fall and driving I-15 through Salt Lake City after seeing one of these signs I said to myself, "Great! I'll ride in the HOV lane." :2thumbs:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104470&stc=1

My euphoria was short lived though when I saw this sign. I was pulling my tent-on-a-trailer behind me. :(

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104471&stc=1

Yes in Utah trailers are not allowed in the HOV/Express or Left(Fast Lane). However although licensed as motorcycles,a motorcycle endorsement is not required. Weird laws.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-30-2015, 05:18 PM
In VA they are classified as motorcycle's and can be driven in the HOV lanes and HOT lanes (I495 and I95) free of charge. ....Please note that autocycles are not classified as motorcycles under Federal or Virginia code. Autocycle users must pay a toll with an E-ZPass if they chose to travel on the Express Lanes.
Autocycle, as in Slingshot and Elio? Maybe the designation has already taken hold! :thumbup:

Dan_Ashley
03-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Autocycle, as in Slingshot and Elio? Maybe the designation has already taken hold! :thumbup:
You can than the nearly defunct company, Elio Motors, for that "Autocycle" designation.

Desert Spyder
03-30-2015, 09:40 PM
You can than the nearly defunct company, Elio Motors, for that "Autocycle" designation.

Elio is nearly defunct?

YIRYDE
03-30-2015, 09:52 PM

Yes, the Slingshot is classified as an Autocycle in VA.

Dan_Ashley
03-30-2015, 10:07 PM
Elio is nearly defunct?
Almost. Not quite. But almost.
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/news/local/2015/02/17/led-risk-great-start-ups-like-elio/23596563/

JerryB
04-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Hi Mike,

The key word here is " SALESMAN " .....

^^^^^^ This.

I've been in Florida for the last 10 days so you were able to beat me to it. :gaah:

In Oregon, three wheels of any type means MC & good to go in HOV lanes.

Interestingly, Vancouver, WA ( just over the Columbia River from here ) got rid of their HOV lanes due to traffic impediment.

Just sayin' . . . .

Jerry Baumchen

Tony8472
04-09-2015, 10:46 AM
They are considered motorcycles in AZ and are allowed in the HOV lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bzbaeren
04-09-2015, 12:17 PM
If you CALL in GA, the Peach Pass is FREE! I did the process last year and got mine FREE. It's supposed to good on the HOT lanes and up and down I-85 where you would use the Peach Pass anyway. If you order the Peach Pass online, you will have to pay for it. I got this information from ABATE of GA as I am a member.
If they aren't motorcycles that would mean you don't need a helmet to ryde, you can't butter both sides of a piece of bread.

Lew L
04-09-2015, 10:55 PM
Please correct me if I wrong----
I 've seen plenty of trike riders In Nevada riding without helmets. I hate to assume that it is legal. I won't ride with out all the gear all the time--- 2 wheels or three.
So can one of the NV LEO's fill us in???

Kaos

Dan_Ashley
04-09-2015, 11:18 PM
I 've seen plenty of trike riders In Nevada riding without helmets. I hate to assume that it is legal. I won't ride with out all the gear all the time--- 2 wheels or three.

Kaoshttp://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/helmetuse/helmethistory?topicName=Motorcycles#tableData

PaladinLV
04-09-2015, 11:49 PM
Once again :)

In NV if a trike has two DRIVE wheels it is not classified as a motorcycle. Ergo no helmet no endorsement, but can use the HOV lanes.
If only one DRIVE wheel, it is classified as a motorcycle. Ergo helmet and endorsement required and can use the HOV lanes.

AJ

Kaos