PDA

View Full Version : New member, yet to purchase!

aeroshots
03-28-2015, 11:08 AM
Hello all.
I'm looking for a means for my wife and I to get out and see the country from a different viewpoint. I've owned many two wheeled bikes but never one with three. My wife is completely wheelchair dependent. I'm working several issues to see if the spyder will work for her.
Does anyone know the opening width and height of the can am trailer? We need to fit her folding manual wheel chair in the trailer.

Motorcycledave
03-28-2015, 11:24 AM
There are several folks right here who are using the Spyder it that way, I have seen wheel chair mounts on them as well
so you don't have to drag around a trailer. that may be a bunch less money the ones I have seen are able to be locked into
the 2 inch trailer hitch receiver. check around on this forum. I am sure some one will have info you need, I can not give you
info. on the trailer I don't have one but your CanAm dealer does take your measuring tape and check it out to be sure.
Good Luck
Dave

]
Hello all.
I'm looking for a means for my wife and I to get out and see the country from a different viewpoint. I've owned many two wheeled bikes but never one with three. My wife is completely wheelchair dependent. I'm working several issues to see if the spyder will work for her.
Does anyone know the opening width and height of the can am trailer? We need to fit her folding manual wheel chair in the trailer.

Gator37
03-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Good luck my Friend. Wonderful that you will be able to ride with your wife. Folks here on the Forum will be of great help.

Purple Guy
03-28-2015, 01:13 PM
We have a guy in our club that uses a wheelchair and has no problem fitting it into his Can Am trailer.

ARtraveler
03-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Hello all.

:welcome: to the party. If you decide on going with a trailer for the wheelchair, either trailer should work for you. I am going to the catalog to see if I can come up with the dimensions for you.

Sorry, not finding the dimensions in the catalog other than 22 cubic ft. for the 622 version. I have seen them in person, and don't think you would have a problem with a wheelchair. The Freedom trailer is 20 cubic feet. That also looks like a go.

I believe the 622 is now discontinued, so some bargains may be had.

I am at the point where a chair accompanies on everything but riding the :spyder2:. Personally, I do not like the looks of a wheelchair rack, and I would have issues lifting the chair onto the rack. Aerodynamics also a bit of an issue. The trailers are pretty low and don't think you would have issues there. Sounds like something you should see and test in person.

Deanna777
03-28-2015, 04:26 PM
:welcome: Deanna

Chupaca
03-28-2015, 06:40 PM
You came to the right place. There are other trailers depending on the type of traveling you are planning on doing. A manual folding chair will fit nicely and room for traveling stuff as well. Short trips you could use the hitch type. There have been several posts about the them here you could hunt them or google it google does better at finding threads here than anyone...:roflblack: hope you find what your looking for and are out there together...:thumbup:

aeroshots
03-28-2015, 08:46 PM
Thanks everyone that replied. I went to a dealer today and they had no trailers, but have faith that her chair will fit. She is a small enough lady that uses the smallest adult chair available. With the price of wheelchairs we would prefer it protected in the trailer verses on a rack. The plan is to tow the spyder in an enclosed trailer to within a days ride from where we want to visit, then do day trips. As she says, she wants to see the country while it is still ours to see and she is able.
So, now on to price shopping. Seems like the 2014s at discounted prices are fading away, but I've located a couple that I'm willing to travel to get. I've yet to find any specials or discounts on a trailer.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-28-2015, 10:55 PM
Since I only recommend a Spyder with the 1330 Ace engine ......I think your best bet would be a small flat bed TRAILER....like a Harbor Freight model......You could easily have someone make a frame and rivet some aluminum or galvanized sheet metal to it to fit your needs ......this would save you $ 2 to 3, 000 dollars and if designed right you wouldn't have to lift the chair out of the trailer.............just sayin.........Mike :thumbup:

Highwayman2013
03-28-2015, 11:03 PM
I think the Lugg and Roll trailers Spyder TV is going to start selling soon look promising.

PrairieSpyder
03-29-2015, 08:30 AM
:welcome:

aeroshots
03-31-2015, 07:37 PM
Alright, the plan is coming together. 2015 RT Limited in Pearl White will be uncrated for us tomorrow:ohyea:. I found the Spyder locally and a RT-622 trailer some distance away. Let the enabling modifications begin. Actually just need to modify the trailer a little. Wife is excited yet apprehensive.

pwpalmbay
05-06-2015, 06:01 AM
Hello all.

Big question is can she transfer onto the Spyder? It might be difficult onto the back of the bike.

Saluda
05-06-2015, 06:42 AM
and best of luck.