PDA

View Full Version : Power steering problems

Magic Man
11-19-2008, 02:18 PM
If you remember Lamonster had a post awhile back where he talked about knowing 3 people who had no power steering with no codes and no VSS problems.

Well I was one of the 3 he spoke of! :(

It now has come to light that my Spyder #254 never had any real power steering from day one! But, because it was always this way right out of the gate I never really knew. To me it did not seem to steer too hard, and life went on.

Also, back then when my bike was delivered the dealers did not have any Spyders kicking around to be able to test side by side. Back then everyone that came in went right back out ASAP as we had all been waiting what seemed like forever for our Spyders to come.

Then in Sept. our SE5 came in! Once being able to sit back to back on these two machines it became clear that our SM5 had no power steering.

After our dealer did the normal systems and BUDS tests which all showed nothing, it was time for him to check with BRP.

It seems that I was not the only one with this problem at this dealership either. After checking into my problem they realized that one of their DEMOs also had the same problem! So now it was easy for them to tell BRP that this was not just a "win the lottery" thing with my bike, but one that was showing up on other units as well.

So we waited for BRP to figure this all out. :popcorn:

After almost 3 weeks BRP called my dealer and said that they have a fix for my bike. It appears that there are some units that have little to no power assist, yet show no codes or other problems. Just very low assist levels (2lbs or less)

So here is where we are today....

BRP has sent my dealer complete new power steering unit for my bike and their Demo, if all goes well after the repair I should finally have 2 Spyders with power steering rather than just one. :shocked:

After the replacement I will report on how well the repair worked.

In the meantime if any of you have been thinking that your power assist is not all it should be? :dontknow:

You may in fact be right, and should have your unit checked by your dealer ASAP. :thumbup:

MM

NancysToy
11-19-2008, 03:27 PM
When this problem was first mentioned, I suggested that everbody who wondered check by riding another Spyder. Guess the dealer demo isn't always the answer, though. Your experience points out the need to check it out if you aren't sure. On the other hand, maybe if your steering hadn't been so difficult, you wouldn't have developed your risers as quickly. There is a reason for everything. :D
-Scotty

Roaddog2
11-19-2008, 03:49 PM
When this problem was first mentioned, I suggested that everbody who wondered check by riding another Spyder. Guess the dealer demo isn't always the answer, though. Your experience points out the need to check it out if you aren't sure. On the other hand, maybe if your steering hadn't been so difficult, you wouldn't have developed your risers as quickly. There is a reason for everything. :D
-Scotty:agree:The 3" risers are on my wish list :thumbup:

Cundiffla
11-19-2008, 05:47 PM
OK, Thank you..... Now I know I am not insane! Everyone had asked me if my spyder has power steering, my reply is "it's suppose to be power steering, but it sure doesn't feel like it" Everyone who has a Spyder I've talked to Stated yep it has Power Steer!" So now I will print this and take it to my dealer, and of course I will wait until a too cold of a day to ride it first.

:spyder:

nickcaro
11-19-2008, 11:51 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=60853&posted=1#post60853