PDA

View Full Version : Trailer setup

LEEB
03-23-2015, 08:19 PM
I'm considering buying a trailer to pull behind or RT. The trailer has a elec. connector which is a '5 flat'. Can someone tell me what is needed on my Spyder to wire it properly for this connector? I believe the Can-Am harness uses a '4 square' connector. I believe there are also '4 flat' connectors also, but the manufacture says his trailer must use all 5 wires. This is all new to me and I'm what you call, 'confused'!! Pictures please, if possible!

LEEB

billybovine
03-23-2015, 11:07 PM
I'm considering buying a trailer to pull behind or RT. The trailer has a elec. connector which is a '5 flat'. Can someone tell me what is needed on my Spyder to wire it properly for this connector? I believe the Can-Am harness uses a '4 square' connector. I believe there are also '4 flat' connectors also, but the manufacture says his trailer must use all 5 wires. This is all new to me and I'm what you call, 'confused'!! Pictures please, if possible!

LEEB

Big Bike Parts sells a harness that is 5 wire. http://www.bigbikeparts.com/templates/product.aspx?ProductGuid=41-162&GroupGuid=669

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-23-2015, 11:30 PM
If you are not a diehard DIYer, and/or not comfortable dealing with electrical wiring I second Billy's suggestion about the Big Bike Parts harness. You'll have to add the mating flat 5 connector to it but that's not a big deal. They're readily available at auto parts stores.

The five wire setup on the trailer means the turn signals are separate from the brake lights. The usual US system is for brake and turn to use the same bulbs, and this is what the square 4 connector supports.

There are other options if you're into DIY but for simplicity and reasonable cost the harness from BBP is the way to go.