PDA

View Full Version : amp

rays hell
03-22-2015, 07:36 PM
Has anyone added an amp to their stereo? I tried the search but didn't find anything.
I was considering a Clarion XC 1410 which appears to be an amp in line with the stereo speakers.
The other thing I don't know is if the stereo is 2 or 4 channel and how this would affect the amp.

Thoughts, comments?

Bob Denman
03-23-2015, 07:46 AM
I don't know much about hooking up an amp...
But you'd probably stretch the speakers beyond their capacity quickly with it. :shocked:
Consider some aftermarket speakers if you proceed. :thumbup:

trikermutha
03-23-2015, 08:27 AM
you would probably need a integrated harness to go from the current stereo to the amp
If you happen to find one let us know..

finless
03-23-2015, 08:35 AM
There is a very old post somewhere here where a guy did in fact do that.
The AMP he put in the trunk and he replaced all the speakers with bigger ones.
He had to mod the rear speaker cases to hold the larger speakers.

I saw this post like 2 years ago. Just gotta keep looking I guess.

Bob

bluestratos
03-23-2015, 09:34 AM
I put a 400 watt amp RMS in and it works great. Increased the volumn about 25% (more if you can find speakers that can handle, it, the front are easy but the rears have very limited choices) and the sound quality is awsome. I mounted it right were the XM Satelite reciver would go. I made an 3/16" aluminumn backing plate that mounts to the factory mounting plate then attached the Rockford Fosgate amp to that. This serves double duty as a heat sink and for good measure I mounted a small electronics fan under the bottom to ensure cooling air flows. I maded a small plastic sheid that covers the top where the adjustment screws are on the amp because when I pressure wash enough gets in the amp to cause problems sometimes.
The speakers are rated at 150 watts each and fit in the orgional mounting locations, they are Polk Audio found on Amazon.

This amp has high power imputs so you simply take the wires off of the speakers, run to the amp then back again to the speakers from the amp outputs. It cost me around $600 for the parts.

jtoro1
03-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Has anyone added an amp to their stereo? I tried the search but didn't find anything.
I was considering a Clarion XC 1410 which appears to be an amp in line with the stereo speakers.
The other thing I don't know is if the stereo is 2 or 4 channel and how this would affect the amp.

Thoughts, comments?

PM bluestratos he did it. I was looking at the same amp it will work on the. Rts. I think it is 4 channels

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-23-2015, 10:01 AM
I did this .....swapped out the OEM speakers for JBL ...GTO...528 & 428 's.....they are 2 OHM which effectively doubles your stock AMP power ......You can still find both on E-bay for $ 100 for all FOUR...........IMHO I would put this up against His in a TEST and bet I would win or tie.....PS the key here is using ....2 OHM speakers..............Some others here have done the JBL swap, maybe they will chime in ?????......Mike :thumbup:

finless
03-23-2015, 11:09 AM
J&M speakers were a very moderate increase is sound and quality.

If I were to do it again, I would go with what bluenight did.

Bob

bluestratos
03-23-2015, 12:02 PM
I tried the J&Ms's first, possibly better sound quality but they did not increase volumn , I took sound meter readings for comparison. The amp blew the JBL's away if your prepared to spend the money and time. As noted, I invested about $600 (I already had the wire) and about a day to make the changes including swaping the speakers out. This is a 4 channel amp peak rating around 180 watts per speaker. I have blown 5 Polks (rated to 170 watt) aready by turning the amp too high but if I can find speakers rated for 180-200 watts I can turn up my amp about 25% more. I can get it so loud you can hear it blocks away as can be attested by the people on the street turning around to see what is making all the noise.

I also added a compact Bass woofer in the frunk but I took it out recently for trip (it unplugs and is out in less than 5 minutes. The woofer complets the package, provide great bass. This added about $150 more for the bass package. I also has outputs for 2 more speakers so I have them mounted in the frunk as well. Not really useful until the hood is raised but wow, when parked its party time! lol.

From what I could find out, the stock radio puts out less than 30 watts so yes 2 ohms doubles it but not even close to an amp. With the amp I can run on the freeway, in traffic, and easily hear my tunes now . I run about 3/4's on the volumn scale but have to turn it down after a bit to avoid causing my ears to ring when I get off!, lol.

finless
03-23-2015, 12:22 PM
Funny, I hope that bass speaker in the frunk doesnt vibrate out the fuses and relay's.

Bob

bluestratos
03-23-2015, 01:32 PM
Lol,,,so far so good, lol I drove 5000 miles since with it to date but something to keep an eye on.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-23-2015, 02:23 PM
I tried the J&Ms's first, possibly better sound quality but they did not increase volumn , I took sound meter readings for comparison. The amp blew the JBL's away if your prepared to spend the money and time. As noted, I invested about $600 (I already had the wire) and about a day to make the changes including swaping the speakers out. This is a 4 channel amp peak rating around 180 watts per speaker. I have blown 5 Polks (rated to 170 watt) aready by turning the amp too high but if I can find speakers rated for 180-200 watts I can turn up my amp about 25% more. I can get it so loud you can hear it blocks away as can be attested by the people on the street turning around to see what is making all the noise.

I also added a compact Bass woofer in the frunk but I took it out recently for trip (it unplugs and is out in less than 5 minutes. The woofer complets the package, provide great bass. This added about $150 more for the bass package. I also has outputs for 2 more speakers so I have them mounted in the frunk as well. Not really useful until the hood is raised but wow, when parked its party time! lol.

From what I could find out, the stock radio puts out less than 30 watts so yes 2 ohms doubles it but not even close to an amp. With the amp I can run on the freeway, in traffic, and easily hear my tunes now . I run about 3/4's on the volumn scale but have to turn it down after a bit to avoid causing my ears to ring when I get off!, lol.

:clap:If you are going to SPYDERFEST this year I would love to meet up with you and have a friendly SOUND contest. :yes::yes::yes::yes:...Mike

bluestratos
03-23-2015, 03:11 PM
No, can't get the time off work but what is important is that we both get a lot more sound out of the system.

Take care,

:2thumbs: