PDA

View Full Version : New to me 2012 RT question

Gimpy Girl
03-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Hi all
just picked up a new to me 2012 RT and have a question. I was trying to figure out the radio today and when I shut the bike down, there is a kind of humming sound from the right side of the bike. Is this the norm or should I turn off the radio or??
Thanks all!

finless
03-22-2015, 04:08 PM
Hi all
just picked up a new to me 2012 RT and have a question. I was trying to figure out the radio today and when I shut the bike down, there is a kind of humming sound from the right side of the bike. Is this the norm or should I turn off the radio or??
Thanks all!

Welcome....

I highly recommend reading this here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

It also explains the sound you hear (humming) as well as other tips you should know about!

"Humming Sound" after turning the key off:
You will hear a humming sound for about 30-45 minutes after turning-off 2012-13 Spyders. This is normal and mentioned in the manual -- not to worry about it. Pre-2012's have some humming, but it appears not to last as long as on the '12's and '13's. (It is in your manual.) No information yet regarding the 2014 RTS model, but from information received, you will not likely hear the humming-sound.

Bob

Bob Denman
03-22-2015, 04:26 PM
:agree:, and :congrats: on your new ride!! :2thumbs:
:nopic:

robmorg
03-22-2015, 05:03 PM
From my owner's manual.....

This vehicle is equipped with an Electronic
Throttle Control (ETC).
Each time the ignition switch is turned
OFF, the ETCmotor stays energized for 40 minutes.
The ETC motor will emit a high frequency
sound during this period of
time that can be heard in a quiet environment.
This is a normal characteristic of the vehicle.

I have NEVER heard this on my 2013 RT - one of the many advantages of being "slightly" hard of hearing. ;)

As for the radio... It shuts down whenever you turn your key off. ...UNLESS, you don't want it to for some reason. You probably didn't know that you can continue to listen to the radio AFTER you turn the key off, if you press and hold the mode button while shutting the bike down. To turn the radio off then, either cycle the key, or just press the hazard flasher button. This information is compliments of "Finless Bob" who responded above in this thread.

Enjoy the "new" RT. It's a great ride!

Gimpy Girl
03-22-2015, 05:32 PM
Thanks everyone! It's very, very different from my RS! Great new things to learn on this bike, and am already enjoying the ride :thumbup:

Deanna777
03-22-2015, 06:19 PM
:welcome:and have fun Deanna

Chupaca
03-22-2015, 09:53 PM
big change. Enjoy your new ryde...:2thumbs: don't worry about the humming it is normal. The above explains it. :thumbup:

Lew L
03-22-2015, 10:12 PM
Hi G,
What mods does your "new" RT have??? The P/O MUST have added some "farkles" or even serious mods.

Kaos

missouriboy
03-23-2015, 06:53 AM
You can't turn the radio off. All you can do is mute the volume.

robmorg
03-23-2015, 10:38 AM
Hi all
Thanks all!

You can't turn the radio off. All you can do is mute the volume. True. But turning the key off cuts the power to it , unless you override that in the manner described above.