PDA

View Full Version : 2012 RT SE5 Heat

bill7259
03-22-2015, 08:56 AM
I have had my RT for 2.5 years. Have had heat problems since day one. It appears that the temp sensor is mounted in a bad place. When it registers high heat, the engine light comes on. It won't give the problem, but a dealer can read the codes. I was hoping BRP would address this problem, but apparently they will not. I really like this bike, but there are a few issues that can fixed to make it an exceptional bike.

OJ UK
03-22-2015, 09:01 AM
Hey Bill http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104047&stc=1 I think you'll find that most of the issues have been addressed by
BRP with the 2014/15 model RTs. Certainly no heat problems have been reported with the
1330cc motor.

Chupaca
03-22-2015, 10:35 AM
the engine heat sensor is where all sensors are. Can't be in the wrong place it measures the coolant temperature. The ambient temp sensor is close to the air intake and measures the temp of the air flowing to the throttle bodies. It is not the same as the temp your ryding in. If the water temp is going over five bars (digital) or into the red on the guage you have a cooling problem. Check that the fan is coming on. Check fueses, coolant level. Otherwise could be thermostat or pump. The high heat readings to the throttle bodies can come from mostly hot weather and lack of air flow. The check engine light comes on for many reasons and may not be for this reason if you are within the operating specs. :thumbup:

Don in E Texas
03-22-2015, 10:37 AM
Your issue is not the norm - three RT's in my family (2010,2011, 2012) and none have what you describe. There is a common heat issue though - right foot from the "Dragon's Breath" that is easily taken care of with a block off plate (2010-2012 models) - see Spyderpops - one of our sponsors here on the forum.

Others will pop in here and offer ideas to you as well.

Good luck.

don

SpyderAnn01
03-22-2015, 10:39 AM
My friend had a 2011 RT and she had a similar problem. Living in Las Vegas it is really hot but she would be out on a ride and hers would be the only Spyder that would throw a code for heat. The dealer did say something about the sensor mounting position but I don't remember what they did to fix it.

Pennyrick
03-22-2015, 02:30 PM
I have had my RT for 2.5 years. Have had heat problems since day one. It appears that the temp sensor is mounted in a bad place. When it registers high heat, the engine light comes on. It won't give the problem, but a dealer can read the codes. I was hoping BRP would address this problem, but apparently they will not. I really like this bike, but there are a few issues that can fixed to make it an exceptional bike.

Are you talking about the ambient air temperature indicator or the engine temperature indicator? One reads out in degrees in the dash center and the other measures in the gauge mounted on the right side. (unless you have disconnected the analog gauges are are using the interior digital ones).

If it is the ambient temperature gauge it is tied to the inside air temperature and will always read higher than the actual air temperature because the sensor feeds information to the computer that controls the throttle body settings and that device needs to know what the temperature is around it.

The engine temperature sensor it located exactly where it needs to be and if it is the engine temperature that is causing the check engine light to come on that is a problem specific to your Spyder and a competent dealer tech should have no problem finding it and fixing it.

This is not typical of 2012 RT's and to my knowledge has not come up on this board before relating to 2012 RT's.

bruiser
03-22-2015, 03:15 PM
Does the engine shut down? Have had my 2012 RTS for three years. Have had no issues with it. I really don't even get the hot foot. Have you pulled up the codes? To do this, turn the key on, go to the start screen, press the mode and set switch and turn signal switch at the same time. That will bring up the codes if any.

bill7259
03-24-2015, 09:03 AM
the engine heat sensor is where all sensors are. Can't be in the wrong place it measures the coolant temperature. The ambient temp sensor is close to the air intake and measures the temp of the air flowing to the throttle bodies. It is not the same as the temp your ryding in. If the water temp is going over five bars (digital) or into the red on the guage you have a cooling problem. Check that the fan is coming on. Check fueses, coolant level. Otherwise could be thermostat or pump. The high heat readings to the throttle bodies can come from mostly hot weather and lack of air flow. The check engine light comes on for many reasons and may not be for this reason if you are within the operating specs. :thumbup:

The water temp is OK. My problem is with the temperature to the intake (throttle bodies). At a temp of about 120 degrees, the engine light comes on ( I don't ride much with the ambient temperature of 100 degrees or more). I bought the bike in July 2012, and within 4 hours I had my first failure. BRP has yet to correct the problem. I have had the bike in 4 or 5 times..... 2 different dealers. Either they are unable to fix the problem, don't know how or where to look, or are giving me the run-around.
I have had several other annoying problem, such as the clock loses 4 to 5 minutes a month, The ambient temp guage is about 8 degrees high (indicator on dash measuring the outside temperature). I'm thinking that BRP doesn't want me to buy another bike. I normally keep on about 2 years, then trade.

bill7259
03-24-2015, 09:06 AM
Does the engine shut down? Have had my 2012 RTS for three years. Have had no issues with it. I really don't even get the hot foot. Have you pulled up the codes? To do this, turn the key on, go to the start screen, press the mode and set switch and turn signal switch at the same time. That will bring up the codes if any.

Thanks. I'll try that. The bike has not shut down, but don't want to ride it with the engine light on.

bill7259
03-24-2015, 09:10 AM
My friend had a 2011 RT and she had a similar problem. Living in Las Vegas it is really hot but she would be out on a ride and hers would be the only Spyder that would throw a code for heat. The dealer did say something about the sensor mounting position but I don't remember what they did to fix it.

It is only the ambient temp. water (coolant) temp is OK

The first dealer said that was the way it was, as the bike wasn't made for heat like we experience in Texas.

bill7259
03-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Are you talking about the ambient air temperature indicator or the engine temperature indicator? One reads out in degrees in the dash center and the other measures in the gauge mounted on the right side. (unless you have disconnected the analog gauges are are using the interior digital ones).

If it is the ambient temperature gauge it is tied to the inside air temperature and will always read higher than the actual air temperature because the sensor feeds information to the computer that controls the throttle body settings and that device needs to know what the temperature is around it.

The engine temperature sensor it located exactly where it needs to be and if it is the engine temperature that is causing the check engine light to come on that is a problem specific to your Spyder and a competent dealer tech should have no problem finding it and fixing it.

This is not typical of 2012 RT's and to my knowledge has not come up on this board before relating to 2012 RT's.

It is the ambient guage. Apparently the one also associated with the readout on the dash. The dealers are unable to correct the problem. I've had the bike 5.5 years an have less than 7000 miles on it. We have a lot of hot weather here. I really enjoy the bike when I can use it.

Illinois Boy
03-24-2015, 09:24 AM
See if this information and link is related to your heat situation in some manner. This is from BRP directly:

Clarification on the P0127 and P0217 code messages: (From Steve with BRP customer care)

Some have experienced the P0127 and/or P0217 codes on their Spyders so we'd like to provide additional information on what they mean.

The following is the link to this thread started by Steve, from BRP Customer Care: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...P0217-messages (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?55377-Some-clarification-on-the-P0127-and-P0217-messages)

Magdave
03-24-2015, 10:18 AM
I know there was an ECM flash for the 2013, not sure if it was all RT's, to address the limp code cause by the above codes last year. Have you had that update done?

Bob Denman
03-24-2015, 10:47 AM
The water temp is OK. My problem is with the temperature to the intake (throttle bodies). At a temp of about 120 degrees, the engine light comes on.
The location of the sensor is unfortunate... :shocked: It tends to read high, due to the accumulation of heat underneath the bodywork of the Spyder.
You COULD try moving it...
It's pretty much got to sit in "still air"; why not try something up near the nose of the bike? Perhaps in front of the frunk, yet protected by the bodywork? :dontknow:

Chupaca
03-24-2015, 11:23 AM
I have heard of several units that the sensor was mounted incorrectly. This is an item that has to be mounted when assembled. Asphault temps are in excess of 170* on any hot day. The sensor should be recessed in its mount to avoid the direct heat coming off the road. It should be shrowded in a foam wrap to avoid direct air flow. I have only gotten up to 117* temps ryding deserts but never had any issue. I do blow the foam wrap clean when in the area. Hope they at least tried a new sensor....:thumbup:

The water temp is OK. My problem is with the temperature to the intake (throttle bodies). At a temp of about 120 degrees, the engine light comes on ( I don't ride much with the ambient temperature of 100 degrees or more). I bought the bike in July 2012, and within 4 hours I had my first failure. BRP has yet to correct the problem. I have had the bike in 4 or 5 times..... 2 different dealers. Either they are unable to fix the problem, don't know how or where to look, or are giving me the run-around.
I have had several other annoying problem, such as the clock loses 4 to 5 minutes a month, The ambient temp guage is about 8 degrees high (indicator on dash measuring the outside temperature). I'm thinking that BRP doesn't want me to buy another bike. I normally keep on about 2 years, then trade.