PDA

View Full Version : Frunk will not open remotely

WilMo1775
03-21-2015, 08:39 AM
2010 RT, I can open it if I use the key but when it is running and I try and use the electric release it will not open is there a fuse for that and where is it located?:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::b anghead:

finless
03-21-2015, 08:43 AM
Check this. Common problem if it's not working. If this is not it, then start checking other things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fufZRmjqnDI

Bob Denman
03-21-2015, 09:39 AM
Bob,
As usual; your video is awesome! :clap: :thumbup: I was going to be suggesting this very same possibility, but the video tells it all...

WilMo1775
03-21-2015, 10:40 AM
Check this. Common problem if it's not working. If this is not it, then start checking other things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fufZRmjqnDI

Once again Bob you were right, it was the switch. now i have to buy a switch because it is actually broken...

Chupaca
03-21-2015, 11:16 AM
great thread with a grand finale...well sad note for op but problem solved...:thumbup: thanks to our resident video repairman...:roflblack:

WilMo1775
03-21-2015, 01:41 PM
so after looking for the part to fix the frunk issue to no avail..... i took another look at the video and was able to fabricate one and fixed it works like a charm
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Mazo EMS2
03-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Awesome. I have this problem also. Better go out and check that switch:clap:

KAR
03-22-2015, 06:44 AM
I have that problem and even had a mechanic look at it. I had given up on it ever working. Thanks for the tip and I will check it out.

Dan McNally
03-22-2015, 08:08 AM
:clap: This is the way it is supposed to work . . . someone posts a problem; someone posts the solution; the original poster replies as to whether the problem was solved, or not . . . and not a single nasty comment, telling someone to search for the solution, or just insulting their intelligence!

Perfect Thread Award! :firstplace:

finless
03-22-2015, 11:25 AM
so after looking for the part to fix the frunk issue to no avail..... i took another look at the video and was able to fabricate one and fixed it works like a charm
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Great to hear!

I was going to say that switch is a pretty common switch used on many things (not Sypder related).
Back in the day we called them "Cherry" switches because Cherry Corp made them and there were not many other companies making those type of switches back then. I started my carrier as a Xerox repairman. These switches were used all over copiers.

Anyway my bet is if you went to a good electronics store they would probably have this same switch but possibly with a different metal actuator. Then just fabricate an actuator that would work.

So I am curios Wilmo1775, what did you come up with?

Bob

Mazo EMS2
03-22-2015, 12:33 PM
Boy I'm an idiot.....LOL....I was thinking the frunk should open remotely with the key just in the "on" position, but without the bike running. In my case, the bike needs to be running. DUH!!! :banghead:

finless
03-22-2015, 01:13 PM
Boy I'm an idiot.....LOL....I was thinking the frunk should open remotely with the key just in the "on" position, but without the bike running. In my case, the bike needs to be running. DUH!!! :banghead:

My 2011 does not need to be running but the key has to be on.

As I recall the 2010 models you had to have the engine running.

Bob

bruiser
03-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Yes, on 2010 the engine had to be running. Damage to the switch is common on the '10. It usually happens when the BUDS panel is removed. Later models had a different mounting bracket that protected the switch. These are common micro switches. I found a replacement switch locally for $3.00 bucks. Less than half the cost of the switch from the dealer.

Mazo EMS2
03-22-2015, 05:50 PM
My 2011 does not need to be running but the key has to be on.

As I recall the 2010 models you had to have the engine running.

Bob

Hey Bob, is this still the case if I do your "using your accessories mode" trick? Or doesn't that trick apply to the '10 RT? Just curious. It's all under cover now til the weather straightens out

Rick

finless
03-22-2015, 06:00 PM
Hey Bob, is this still the case if I do your "using your accessories mode" trick? Or doesn't that trick apply to the '10 RT? Just curious. It's all under cover now til the weather straightens out

Rick

I honestly don't know on the 2010. On my 2011 even with the ACC mode trick, the frunk does not open with the button. You have to have the key actually on.
The ACC mode trick does not leave everything live. Only the cluster and the radio.

Bob