PDA

View Full Version : for those that need reading glasses

mastertek2000
03-21-2015, 05:08 AM
well as i get older i find that i need reading glasses when i ride i have a hard time seeing the time or my gps so i did some research and came up with these you in stall them on the inside of you face shield at the bottom of the lens works like a charm hope it helps you it was a great solution for $15 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111231452189?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=410248231203&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104022&stc=1

cuznjohn
03-21-2015, 05:10 AM
i use them all the time, i use 1.75

Mo Lee
03-21-2015, 06:25 AM
A couple of years ago I found sunglasses in the fishing section of WalMart with readers built in since then I've found them a couple of other places. I've also found wrap around safety glasses in clear with readers built in. I keep one of each on the bikes for riding and found out being able to see the speedometer sure makes the cops happy.

vided
03-21-2015, 06:54 AM
Now this may be the cats MEEEEEOW

vided
03-21-2015, 07:03 AM
just ordered a pair :yes::yes:

JayBros
03-21-2015, 07:33 AM
A big +1! I also have been using them for years -- got 'em to read paper maps when bicycling -- in pre-GPS days.

Dragonrider
03-21-2015, 08:44 AM
For those of us who don't have/use/want a full face helmet, or who ride without a helmet, there are dozens of sunglass/goggle options too - here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-reader-sunglasses-reading-riding-sunglasses-/300483206249

Some of these are good choices and $10 a pair (2 for $20)...

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
03-21-2015, 09:20 AM
I like that, i just sent my wife to harmon to get it if they have it there

Spyder 42
03-21-2015, 09:41 AM
Here are the Bearkats that I use. The sunglasses version doesn't show right now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0035KKK0M/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1426948597&sr=8-1&keywords=bear+cat+safety+glasses&dpPl=1&dpID=31WHFLkz6KL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

Chupaca
03-21-2015, 09:45 AM
I've got monovision. Each eye is a different correction. I usually have to get two pair and switch the lenses. Great idea and I have some time yet cause I can see the guages still but closer than that need readers...thanks for the info....:thumbup:

Motorcycledave
03-21-2015, 10:12 AM
I may have an even better idea for ya.... before I needed glasses all the time I had the same trouble seeing the dash
so one day I was at the Safety Store getting some stuff and there on the counter was a display of some cool safety glasses
that wrap around and has nice style and they were reading glasses you just turn the rack around until you find the ones you
need.... 75-100-150-200-225-250... they cost $9.00 then last time I was there they were $15.00. Go to your Safety Store
and check them out. they came clear, amber and sun glasses tint
Dave :thumbup:

well as i get older i find that i need reading glasses when i ride i have a hard time seeing the time or my gps so i did some research and came up with these you in stall them on the inside of you face shield at the bottom of the lens works like a charm hope it helps you it was a great solution for $15 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111231452189?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=410248231203&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104022&stc=1

PrairieSpyder
03-21-2015, 11:38 AM
I wear prescription glasses with progressive bifocals already. My problem was finding frames that fit inside my full-face helmet. It wasn't the front (didn't need wrap-arounds) but wire-type ear pieces would bend and plastic ones were uncomfortable. I finally found some that are just right, and wear them with my prescription only when ryding.

Ronbo
03-21-2015, 01:26 PM
I wear prescription glasses with progressive bifocals already. My problem was finding frames that fit inside my full-face helmet. It wasn't the front (didn't need wrap-arounds) but wire-type ear pieces would bend and plastic ones were uncomfortable. I finally found some that are just right, and wear them with my prescription only when ryding.

If you need any type of distance correction,and need help with with near vision, the progressive lens is the way to go. If the vision in your two eyes are different,or if you have astigmatism,these lenses can balance your distance vision and help you see intermediate distance,like your gauges and read up close, and everywhere in between. The only caveat is where you have them made. I've seen them upside-down, too high,too low,etc.

if you are lucky enough to have good distance vision and the stick-ons work, great! Just get a thorough vision exam every couple years to make sure to make sure that you don't have glaucoma, or other eye diseases, which sometimes have no symptoms

probably too much information.

Ron
Semi-retired Optometrist

PrairieSpyder
03-21-2015, 02:05 PM
If you need any type of distance correction,and need help with with near vision, the progressive lens is the way to go. If the vision in your two eyes are different,or if you have astigmatism,these lenses can balance your distance vision and help you see intermediate distance,like your gauges and read up close, and everywhere in between. The only caveat is where you have them made. I've seen them upside-down, too high,too low,etc.

if you are lucky enough to have good distance vision and the stick-ons work, great! Just get a thorough vision exam every couple years to make sure to make sure that you don't have glaucoma, or other eye diseases, which sometimes have no symptoms

probably too much information.

Ron
Semi-retired Optometrist

Good info, Rondo. I took my helmet to the optician and he figured how to shape the lenses while wearing the frames with my helmet. I had previously tried the Willy-X prescription goggles, but they put the lenses too far from my eyes and messed with my vision. My optician has such good service he gave me a full credit and I got the frames I use now. They really look awful when I'm not wearing my helmet, but they do the trick for ryding.

[BTW, I do have astigmatism in one eye and the prescriptions for the two eyes are quite different.]

robmorg
03-21-2015, 02:16 PM
I wear prescription glasses with progressive bifocals already. My problem was finding frames that fit inside my full-face helmet. It wasn't the front (didn't need wrap-arounds) but wire-type ear pieces would bend and plastic ones were uncomfortable. I finally found some that are just right, and wear them with my prescription only when ryding.Patti,

Hope you never need hearing aids. That adds a whole new dimension to the problem. :rolleyes:

vided
03-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Patti,

Hope you never need hearing aids. That adds a whole new dimension to the problem. :rolleyes:

​I leave those bad boys home when ryding

Gray Ghost
03-21-2015, 07:20 PM
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html. A bunch of different styles and prices. I use the Pyramex V2 readers, have for years.

Ronbo
03-21-2015, 07:57 PM
Good info, Rondo. I took my helmet to the optician and he figured how to shape the lenses while wearing the frames with my helmet. I had previously tried the Willy-X prescription goggles, but they put the lenses too far from my eyes and messed with my vision. My optician has such good service he gave me a full credit and I got the frames I use now. They really look awful when I'm not wearing my helmet, but they do the trick for ryding.

[BTW, I do have astigmatism in one eye and the prescriptions for the two eyes are quite different.]

Sounds like you have a great optician!

Ron

pitzerwm
03-21-2015, 10:51 PM
I like the idea of putting the "readers" on the face shield, but I'm wondering I use 2.50 and when you have your glasses on, they are 1/2" or so from your eye ball. Would your "need/Rx" change if putting them on the face shield because its 2" + from your eyeball?

Bogie
03-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Search the forum for the word "flasher" and you wI'll find the procedure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pitzerwm
03-22-2015, 06:08 PM
Search the forum for the word "flasher" and you wI'll find the procedure

What??? The whole forum or this thread?? What's flasher got to do with readers?

Bogie
03-22-2015, 06:43 PM
Oops, wrong post :(