PDA

View Full Version : AM radio antenna

rtlister
03-20-2015, 09:55 PM
Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem: I'm riding along on my 2014 RT Limited, listening to a local AM radio station (very close ...not a distant station), when I begin to get a lot of interference. To make a long story short: I eventually realized the problem is my antenna. As it "rocks" back and forth (with the movement of the bike), it causes interference. I can park the bike (sit still), with a clear am radio signal, then bend the top of antenna back a couple inches and let it go which starts the antenna to rocking back and forth, which starts the interference. As the rocking slows down, the interference slows down until the antenna is still once again ...and the interference slows to a stop. I can't find any connection problems and FM and weather radio work just fine. The antenna is snug and seems to be perfectly installed in it's bracket. But the interference is definitely related to the rocking antenna. I can see/hear the interference with the movement of the antenna. When it's perfectly still, the reception is clear as a bell. Anybody else had this problem? If so, what did you do?

MikeT
03-21-2015, 07:48 AM
Sounds like something is loose in the base of your antenna. You may :
1. want to make sure everything is tight at the base of your antenna, and that it's grounded properly.
2 if that doesn't solve your issue, you may want to give a shortie antenna a try. Lots of posts about these here.

Cruzr Joe
03-21-2015, 08:57 AM
sounds like a loose antenna or ground wire.

Cruzr Joe

Mazo EMS2
03-22-2015, 05:53 PM
You lost me when you said you were listening to an AM station..LOL ;)