PDA

View Full Version : oil checking

arizona spyder
03-20-2015, 06:44 PM
well, after literally 2 years of hanging out here i finally bought my 2015 spyder f3s. fantastic machine, love it. coming off a 2011 victory vision, another fantastic bike. ok, so checking the oil ,on the dipstick is anybody find it difficult seeing the level of oil on the dipstick. i know its there, but i find myself second guessing, if no one else has this issue then I'm an idiot..

LEEB
03-20-2015, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE=arizona spyder;949694]well, after literally 2 years of hanging out here i finally bought my 2015 spyder f3s. fantastic machine, love it. coming off a 2011 victory vision, another fantastic bike. ok, so checking the oil ,on the dipstick is anybody find it difficult seeing the level of oil on the dipstick. i know its there, but i find myself second guessing, if no one else has this issue then I'm an idiot..[/QUOTE

You're no idiot! I just checked my 2014 RT and the oil is so clear that it is almost invisible on the dipstick. I actually checked it 3 times to be sure. Make sure you have warmed up the engine, or just ridden it before you check the level. For the 1330 Ace you shouldn't check it cold.

Bob Denman
03-21-2015, 09:26 AM
When in doubt; take a napkin, and gently lay the dipstick on it... without moving it around any. Some oil will transfer over to the napkin, so you should be able to figure out where it was on the dipstick. :thumbup:
(Low vision here; LOTS of tricks for this kind of situation!)

Don in E Texas
03-21-2015, 09:26 AM
...well, it works for me. Using paper towel (Kitchen Paper in the UK) wipe the dip stick clean - reinsert/remove dip stick and lay it flat on the towel on a clean area - DO NOT move the dip stick, but rather just tilt it 90 degrees - you will see the wet spot where the oil is and can also see the side of the dip stick oil level marks.

Hope that makes sense.

Don

Bob Denman
03-21-2015, 09:28 AM
Don, I'd say that "Great minds think alike"; but I wouldn't want to insult you like that! :D :2thumbs:
I must have beat you to the submit button by a nanosecond...

ottawa-rider
03-21-2015, 10:14 AM
I just use my finger to feel on the dipstick where the oil line is.

The problem seems to be that the color of the dipstick does not contrast enough with the oil for it to be easily visible.

Chupaca
03-21-2015, 10:22 AM
I rough up the read area with a light sandpaper so the oils hang time is better. Then when removed angle to show the shiny oil level. But the paper towel is a nice idea. Use a low absorbing one and read quickly or it will bleed to a different level...:thumbup:

missouriboy
03-22-2015, 08:23 AM
I just use my finger to feel on the dipstick where the oil line is.

The problem seems to be that the color of the dipstick does not contrast enough with the oil for it to be easily visible.What color is it? I dislike my BLACK dipstick because it's impossible to judge the cleanliness of the oil without first transferring it to something else. A lighter color material would avoid this hassle. My lawnmower dipstick is gray plastic, which lets you see the level AND the dirtiness of the oil instantly.

ottawa-rider
03-22-2015, 08:55 AM
It's kind of a beige or tan color.