PDA

View Full Version : Why is it...

bruiser
03-20-2015, 01:06 PM
when you go for a sleep study, you can't sleep? I had to go for one last night. Had to drive hour and half to the hospital for the study. I was up early yesterday morning for another appointment so I figured I would be tired. HAH! So the tech gets me wired up while explaining the procedure. I get a glimpse of myself in a mirror. All I can think of is "resistance is futile". I mention to her I don't normally sleep on my back and she says the doctor prefers that we do. She runs a pre test to make sure everything is working. Oops, camera is not working. She comes back in and resets the camera. Informs me over an intercom that must have came from McDonalds that everything is ok. I can now go to sleep. Yeah, right. Tell my brain that. Strange room. So comfy hospital style bed, not. A humming noise that just won't go away. Next thing I know the intercom comes on and she says the study is over. It's 5:15 am. She comes in and proceeds to remove all of the paraphernalia. She tried to remove the conducting gel which by now has turned to a pasty grit. I get to the truck at 5:45 am and make the rainy, 1 1/5 hour drive home. At home, fall in to bed and sleep until 10:00 am.

cuznjohn
03-20-2015, 01:17 PM
one of the reasons i didn't want to go for one, than they said they would send someone to my house to do the study and i refused that also

2Paw
03-20-2015, 01:44 PM
for years, but glad I finely did it, It can not only save your life but at least can make you sleep better. I was not getting a restful sleep because I never got to the deep sleep you need in order to rest and dream. I now sleep with a CPAP machine which is a PETA but I do sleep better and am more rested when I wake up.

BeRight
03-20-2015, 01:46 PM
Curios to know when you get your results - what it says???

I have considered getting a sleep study as well.

I will probably not be able to sleep as well because on ones back sleeping doesn't work for me either.

In addition I have trouble going to sleep anyway and usually only get decent sleep every other day.

If my every other day sleeping decent could be in sink with appointment - then maybe it would work.

2Paw
03-20-2015, 01:49 PM
Curios to know when you get your results - what it says???

I have considered getting a sleep study as well.

I will probably not be able to sleep as well because on ones back sleeping doesn't work for me either.

In addition I have trouble going to sleep anyway and usually only get decent sleep every other day.

If my every other day sleeping decent could be in sink with appointment - then maybe it would work.

It only takes a few days to get results back, then you either go on as before or go get your machine.

bruiser
03-20-2015, 04:09 PM
Wellll, this particular place said it can take up to 4 weeks to get the results back.

OldDog
03-20-2015, 04:29 PM
I 've been on one for about 14 years now. I was so sleep deprived, they thought I had narcolepsy. I would fall asleep in my office at work. CPAP has been a life saver for me.Get it done!

2Paw
03-20-2015, 04:40 PM
Wellll, this particular place said it can take up to 4 weeks to get the results back.

How ever long it takes it is worth it.

fyrertuck
03-20-2015, 06:56 PM
Hey you we love it. I have had one for12 years and two test. I am 51 and would not think about living with out it. I have a great night sleep and it will help keep the colds down. last thing I get to keep my CDL.

SDM
03-20-2015, 08:00 PM
The hubby (Tobor 9) had one last year: We are Borg!!!http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104017&stc=1 He got his C-Pap machine. I now officially sleep with Darth Vader!!!:roflblack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stOjeylx4Fw

2Paw
03-20-2015, 11:42 PM
We could have done without that picture:lecturef_smilie: remember you can't unsee anything.:roflblack:

mowin
03-21-2015, 05:20 AM
When I was very overweight, I had sleep apnea so bad I would stop breathing. My snoring was so bad I rattled the neighbors windows. I would get up at least 2 times a night to go to the bathroom, and would fall asleep several times a day. I was always tired. I had to do a sleep study as part of the process for weight loss surgery. I fould out my apnea was soo bad I would stop breathing hundreds of times every night. The CPAP machine was a life saver. I did take a week or two to get used to the mask, and I tried several before I found the one I liked. I used the CPAP for about 2 yrs. I never had to get up to go to the bathroom. I had more energy than I could remember having for yrs, and never fell asleep during the day anymore. Loosing 200# cured my apnea, and I no longer need it.

My advise.... It doesn't matter how much of a PITA it may be to have the test done. DO IT.... It will make a huge difference in how you feel in the morning. I used to think, if my house ever caught on fire, the first thing I'd grab would be my CPAP machine.

bruiser
03-21-2015, 10:42 AM
I had a sleep study a few years ago and the doctor said that although I snore, I didn't have sleep apnea. Back in December the doctor I see for PTSD (ok, a shrink) weaned me off of my meds to see if I had a change in mood etc. and to set me up for different meds. I did, but also developed what is known as central apnea. Briefly, you stop breathing as soon as you fall asleep, and it wakes you up. Look it up, I did. It is entirely different from obstructive apnea which is the common sleep apnea. She also wanted to see what my brain was doing while sleeping. Any of you who have PTSD know what I'm talking about. This was a comprehensive study that checked eye movement, jaw pressure, leg movement, chest movement, ekg and a list of other things. I am on different meds now and the central apnea has resolved itself. So now I just sit and wait for the results. Yes, I may have developed OSA as they call it. If so, then it's time for the CPAP.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-21-2015, 02:01 PM
when you go for a sleep study, you can't sleep? I had to go for one last night....I mention to her I don't normally sleep on my back and she says the doctor prefers that we do....Informs me over an intercom that must have came from McDonalds that everything is ok. I can now go to sleep. Yeah, right. Tell my brain that. Strange room. So comfy hospital style bed, not. A humming noise that just won't go away. ...all of the paraphernalia.
You pretty well answered your own question. You are not unusual at all. Having difficulty sleeping during the test is quite common, if not almost even the norm.

To learn everything, and more, about sleep apnea go over to www.cpaptalk.com (http://www.cpaptalk.com). Lots of helpful folks over there with a lot of answers and more encouragement.

oldguyinTX
03-21-2015, 02:11 PM
What a coincidence. I just had mine done on Thursday night. Not the most pleasant experience, but not terrible either. Very nice comfortable room with an attached bath more like a hotel room. The tech was very nice, made sure I had everything I needed, then left me alone until 6 am. I get the results next Thursday.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-21-2015, 02:13 PM
one of the reasons i didn't want to go for one, than they said they would send someone to my house to do the study and i refused that also
Refusing - not a good idea. Ask your doc to prescribe an overnight oximetry test. That is a whole lot simpler. You sleep with with one of those finger clamps the nurses use at the doc office to check pulse and oxygen level. That test will tell you if your oxygen level is dropping during the night. If it is, that is strong indicator you have sleep apnea. Another strong indicator of SA, needing to go take a leak during the night. After I went on CPAP I very seldom need to go during the night. Before CPAP I had to go at least once, if not twice or more, EVERY night.

The consequences of having sleep apnea and not treating it are quite simple - high likelihood of stroke and/or heart attack and premature death. Of course if you don't have anyone dependent on you for their food, shelter, and clothing, what does it matter if you die early, or end up in a vegetative state for years? May be a harsh way to look at it, but that is the reality of it.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-21-2015, 02:19 PM
...I did, but also developed what is known as central apnea. Briefly, you stop breathing as soon as you fall asleep, and it wakes you up.
Centrals can happen any time of the night, and quite often occur in the hour or so before waking upl You're right, I can see where it could be a common symptom of PTSD, or, I would think, more likely with TBI. The brain, for whatever reason, fails to send a signal to the pulmonary muscles telling them to do a breath cycle.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-21-2015, 02:26 PM
... Loosing 200# cured my apnea, and I no longer need it.

My advise.... It doesn't matter how much of a PITA it may be to have the test done. DO IT.... It will make a huge difference in how you feel in the morning. I used to think, if my house ever caught on fire, the first thing I'd grab would be my CPAP machine.
You were fortunate. SA is not limited to overweight folks. A lot of skinnies suffer from it also. And sadly, many people who lose weight with the expectation of getting off CPAP end up disappointed because they can't. Many are able to reduce the therapy pressure so there is that positive benefit.

:agree: with you about DO IT!

Somewhat of an aside, but don't grab anything if the event of a fire, even though it's perfectly understandable why you would want to. On average a person has about 30 to 60 seconds to leave a house after a fire alarm goes off, so you don't want to delay your exit for any reason other than helping another person get out.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-21-2015, 02:31 PM
What a coincidence. I just had mine done on Thursday night. Not the most pleasant experience, but not terrible either. Very nice comfortable room with an attached bath more like a hotel room. The tech was very nice, made sure I had everything I needed, then left me alone until 6 am. I get the results next Thursday.
If you haven't already, to learn and share go to www.cpaptalk.com (http://www.cpaptalk.com). There is also www.apneaboard.com (http://www.apneaboard.com). The former is much more active and allowed to operate more feely, even freer at times than SL.

mowin
03-21-2015, 04:13 PM
You were fortunate. SA is not limited to overweight folks. A lot of skinnies suffer from it also. And sadly, many people who lose weight with the expectation of getting off CPAP end up disappointed because they can't. Many are able to reduce the therapy pressure so there is that positive benefit.

:agree: with you about DO IT!

Somewhat of an aside, but don't grab anything if the event of a fire, even though it's perfectly understandable why you would want to. On average a person has about 30 to 60 seconds to leave a house after a fire alarm goes off, so you don't want to delay your exit for any reason other than helping another person get out.

You are correct SA is not limited to overweight people, and I was expecting to use the CPAP for the rest of my life. My weigh loss doc wanted to see how much my SA improved, so I had a 2nd test done 2 yrs later, and I was told I no longer needed it. I did have to ween myself off of it tho, I was that used to it.