PDA

View Full Version : GPS music to spyder audio.

Lone Spyder Ryder
03-19-2015, 04:14 PM
I have been looking in all the wrong places??? How can I listen to the mp3's that are on the Zumo that came with the 2013 ST limited. I don't use any kind of helmet bluetooth things. I just want to hear the music stored the the extra micro SD card I put in the Zumo over the installed audio system. Thanks for any help

MEP
03-19-2015, 04:58 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?72912-New-owner-question-and-2nd-try-to-post&p=876890#post876890

You can go right to post #s 6 and 7 in the thread linked above to see what worked for me. Good luck.

P.S. The information linked to applies to the RT and the Zumo 660. I am not sure if it will be wholly applicable to your arrangement or not.

billybovine
03-19-2015, 06:27 PM
The GPS has it's own special input into the radio that overrides all other sources. For some reason the GPS outputs stereo to the radio but it comes out mono. Not a blended mono either. It does not use the right channel at all. So the left channel comes out left and right speakers. That makes the sound quality just awful. But some don't seem to mind.

I drank the Kool Aid and bought an ipod.

P.S. The sound system on a ST and RT are the same except the ST only has 2 speaker instead of the RT's 4.

Lone Spyder Ryder
03-19-2015, 08:39 PM
I have been looking in all the wrong places??? How can I listen to the mp3's that are on the Zumo that came with the 2013 ST limited. I don't use any kind of helmet bluetooth things. I just want to hear the music stored the the extra micro SD card I put in the Zumo over the installed audio system. Thanks for any help

I am still at a loss about what I need (I have a iPhone 5c, a 32 gig micro SD card in the garmin with mp3 tracks on it. I can hear the music on the garmin but not if it is pushed all the way into the cradle. Once it snaps all the way in there is not music coming from the garmin. I bought a 2013 ST Limited repair manual so I could at lest get some information, for what this spyder cost I would think a good manual and what cords needed to use the items that came from the dealer. The book in the frunk spends more time telling you how to ride the Spyder, a few things about the radio air pressure for the tires and check the oil. Really not much information about the Garmin and the Garmin information that was in the box was almost useless.
This is my third Spyder and I love to ride it, but like it or not BRP don't give a rip about customer service. I do believe that the dealers try there best to help but they don't seem to really still don't know much about the Spyders. 08 GS, 09 GS, and a very limited ST Limited. Then again it could be a very rode hard, and put up wet 70 year old brain. You all ride safe and be happy.
But I do thank you all for the help. If and when I do get this to work I will post a step by step list of what and how I got it hooked up. :banghead:

Highwayman2013
03-19-2015, 09:02 PM
You could check your audio settings on the dash screen. Make sure the speakers are on. We use the bluetooth headsets and have music on our phones.

billybovine
03-20-2015, 09:09 AM
I am still at a loss about what I need (I have a iPhone 5c, a 32 gig micro SD card in the garmin with mp3 tracks on it. I can hear the music on the garmin but not if it is pushed all the way into the cradle. Once it snaps all the way in there is not music coming from the garmin. I bought a 2013 ST Limited repair manual so I could at lest get some information, for what this spyder cost I would think a good manual and what cords needed to use the items that came from the dealer. The book in the frunk spends more time telling you how to ride the Spyder, a few things about the radio air pressure for the tires and check the oil. Really not much information about the Garmin and the Garmin information that was in the box was almost useless.
This is my third Spyder and I love to ride it, but like it or not BRP don't give a rip about customer service. I do believe that the dealers try there best to help but they don't seem to really still don't know much about the Spyders. 08 GS, 09 GS, and a very limited ST Limited. Then again it could be a very rode hard, and put up wet 70 year old brain. You all ride safe and be happy.
But I do thank you all for the help. If and when I do get this to work I will post a step by step list of what and how I got it hooked up. :banghead:

When the garmin is snapped in the cradle, with the music player running, sound should come out the speakers. You have a problem that needs to fixed.
Do You get any sound from the Garmin through the speakers? If no. The most common problem I have heard is that the connector from the mount is not plugged into the radio. It is located on the right side, rear of the gas tank. It is a mini stereo plug just like you would find on head phones.

Since you have a iphone I would use that as your music player. Use the ipod cable that should have come with your Spyder. Buy and instal a 30 pin to 9 pin adapter between your iphone and the ipod cable. Plug the ipod cable into the ipod jack in the front trunk. Now you can play your tunes through the radio and pick and choose the songs from the left handlebar controls.

robmorg
03-20-2015, 10:36 AM
Since you have a iphone I would use that as your music player. Use the ipod cable that should have come with your Spyder. Buy and instal a 30 pin to 9 pin adapter between your iphone and the ipod cable. Plug the ipod cable into the ipod jack in the front trunk. Now you can play your tunes through the radio and pick and choose the songs from the left handlebar controls.I agree that is the BEST way to listen to any Apple device on your Spyder as that will allow you to control all the varoius functions from the handlebar controller. BUT for those who do not want to put their iPhone (or Android phone) in the trunk (and don't use a BT headset), HERE (http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Receiver-Adapter-Sounddock-Speaker/dp/B0094G44PS/ref=pd_ybh_1) is a handy inexpensive little device that will allow you to pair any Bluetooth music source to your Spyder RT entertainment system. Just plug this little BT receiver into the the iPod interface connector in your trunk.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31-dOvGWrsL._SL500_SL130_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Receiver-Adapter-Sounddock-Speaker/dp/B0094G44PS/ref=pd_ybh_1)

finless
03-20-2015, 11:59 AM
As Billy said... the GPS audio input to the radio is MONO! So even if you get your cord fixed on your ST, the audio is not going to be great sounding!

In this video I tested this and proved it is mono input.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOTwhpdFq4Q

Another comment and testing I did.
I have a pretty good GPS (Garmin 775T). I also have Bluetooth helmets (Sena SMH5-FM) AND I also have an iPod hooked to the radio with the SM10 streaming dongle cable.

Test 1:
GPS bound to the helmet and GPS playing music. Audio quality is just not that great. Seems a GPS is not the best for good audio over Bluetooth.

Test 2:
GPS audio out cable into the MP3 port in the trunk. This did give stereo and via the dash I could switch between the radio and the MP3 player. You cannot control songs though except from the GPS touch screen.
Audio quality was not great. Again seems the GPS is just not great for music.

Test 3:
My 775T has FM transmitter mode. You set the GPS FM transmitter to a empty FM channel then set the Spyders radio to that empty channel.
This works and is in stereo. Alas music quality was the worst of the tests.

In the end getting an iPod and hooking it to the radio via the supplied iPod connection from BRP is the best solution for playing music.

Bob