PDA

View Full Version : Thank God I didn't wreck getting this beast home.....

wishey1
03-17-2015, 08:25 PM
...yes I'm one of you now. I got home about an hour ago, but I should have taken a test ride.

all is ok, nothing to worry about, I forgot about the down shifter in back going around a 90*
curve and hit the + and excellerated past the white line but luckily no one was near.

really had to pull hard on a couple of curves, not really sure how to turn this thing...http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=103758&stc=1

I really don't know what to do now, when I got off it wanted to cling to the ceiling and I
cant get it down...

wishey1
03-17-2015, 08:29 PM
...is there a magic word or something !?!

:shocked: :pray:

Bam Bam and Pebbles
03-17-2015, 08:32 PM
Swat it with a newspaper. Works for me with spiders.

Actually it takes a lot of miles getting used to Spyders, especially if you have ever ridden motorcycles. Make sure you know where all the controls are and how they function. Grip your handlebars loosely. Read the Do's and Do Not's and your manual. Most of all take it easy for awhile and have fun. Then you can drive the wheels off it.

happyspyder2039
03-17-2015, 08:33 PM
...yes I'm one of you now. I got home about an hour ago, but I should have taken a test ride.

all is ok, nothing to worry about, I forgot about the down shifter in back going around a 90*
curve and hit the + and excellerated past the white line but luckily no one was near.

really had to pull hard on a couple of curves, not really sure how to turn this thing...http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=103758&stc=1

I really don't know what to do now, when I got off it wanted to cling to the ceiling and I
cant get it down...Congrats! Great color. Now you will have space to park the cage under it or lawnmower, ect

ThreeWheels
03-17-2015, 08:39 PM
Friend,

Does your nose run ?

Do your feet smell ?

You're built upside down !!

Sorry folks, I don't make them up, I just pass them along.

Cruising RT
03-17-2015, 08:45 PM
Beautiful Color! What year and Model? 2015 RTSE6 ? Limited?:bowdown:

JayBros
03-17-2015, 08:48 PM
RTFM, particularly the safety stuff. It is a different machine. Excellent choice of color, congratulations.

SNOOPY
03-17-2015, 08:56 PM
I need some STICKY tires like that !!!!!!! :thumbup:

wishey1
03-17-2015, 09:05 PM

...got a 2014 RT-L with thumb shifter....$25,000, got ripped on my f6b but I hadn't had it
but a year, so, that's what happens to anyone who trades before at least two years.

anyway, thanks for asking, I seemed to go around curves in segments, but, the salesman
did tell me I would hate it on the drive home but, you will grow to love it more and more...

I didn't hate it at all coming home so, I think now I can't wait to get out there and drive it again...

OMG, I can't believe I just thought that....

wishey1
03-17-2015, 09:23 PM
I need some STICKY tires like that !!!!!!! :thumbup:

Speaking of tires, do you guys overfill a little, I was thinking about overfilling since it always
seem to add life to the tire...

tia

3 Wheel Rider
03-17-2015, 09:27 PM
Have you ever ridden an ATV? If so, you should understand the the concept of "Rider Active Vehicles". The Spyder is a Rider Active vehicle just like an ATV. If you remember to lean forward and in to the turn side, it will make turning the Spyder so much easier and enjoyable... that is of course only if you remember to slow down to a suitable entry speed for the turn to begin with.

wishey1
03-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Have you ever ridden an ATV? If so, you should understand the the concept of "Rider Active Vehicles". The Spyder is a Rider Active vehicle just like an ATV. If you remember to lean forward and in to the turn side, it will make turning the Spyder so much easier and enjoyable... that is of course only if you remember to slow down to a suitable entry speed for the turn to begin with.

...hey thanks, no, never rode an ATV, 3 or 4 wheeler before....I never went hunting before either
its weird I know, because I live in a hunting fishing and ATV Mecca....but I think I did pretty
well for my first time because I rode a lot of horses when I was younger...

garb55
03-17-2015, 09:47 PM
Speaking of tires, do you guys overfill a little, I was thinking about overfilling since it always

tia

If you take some hot air out of the tires you might get it off the ceiling :roflblack:

Chupaca
03-17-2015, 09:52 PM
The magic word would be...Rotate... That will get the spyder down. As for handling you do all of the above. Practice will build up your confidence and trust in your fine looking machine....and congrats..:thumbup:

wishey1
03-17-2015, 10:08 PM
If you take some hot air out of the tires you might get it off the ceiling :roflblack:

...haha, I'm really stoked right now. The Spyder seems to take any and all the fear I ever had
about a motorcycle --- stopping on huge inclines, putting my foot down in sand or on a twig,
roll into a huge gravel lot, backing up etc. everything now, every fear is gone...

it's so overwhelmingly unbelievable !!

wishey1
03-17-2015, 10:10 PM
The magic word would be...Rotate... That will get the spyder down. As for handling you do all of the above. Practice will build up your confidence and trust in your fine looking machine....and congrats..:thumbup:

I know !! I said it but nothing happened.....

seriously, if any of you computer whizzes out there could "rotate" the pic for me,
I'd buy you lunch !!

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-18-2015, 12:16 AM
...haha, I'm really stoked right now. The Spyder seems to take any and all the fear I ever had
about a motorcycle --- stopping on huge inclines, putting my foot down in sand or on a twig,
roll into a huge gravel lot, backing up etc. everything now, every fear is gone...

it's so overwhelmingly unbelievable !!
:agree: As I have said to many folks when comparing my RT to the GL1800 I rode for 8 years & 53,000 miles. The Spyder has gone a looooooooooooooong way to re-instilling the joy of riding! :yes:

ARtraveler
03-18-2015, 12:24 AM
:congrats: on the new ride. Lesson learned I hope. Take it a bit easy the first 500 miles or so. A light grip on the bars. The death grip can bite you. :thumbup:

Nito
03-18-2015, 03:27 AM
Congrats on the new purchase. You'll settle in in no time. I lean forward and into the bend on mine and I think I push down on the peg with my outside leg from memory. Haven't had my first ride of the year yet so it's been a few months!!#

I think you're taking the whole Spyder concept a bit to literally parking it on the ceiling though ffs ;)

Enjoy...

Duffer
03-18-2015, 03:46 AM
Congrats n I can relate.

The test ride on my new 2013 was a couple loops around the dealership parking lot! once the deal was done it's just a short 45mph run to the 70mph freeway onramp. By the time I got there, I knew I wasn't ready for freeway speeds so I hit the nearest parking lot to regain my composure. I then took the back roads home. Needed to get my sea legs.

Much better now :-)

Roadster Renovations
03-18-2015, 04:43 AM

cant get it down...

CONGRATS! Looks like it has also "scared" you Power Washer!
:agree: Loose grip, learn to lock your outer elbow for more control on curves. You'll get it. Take your time and be careful!

Bensonoid
03-18-2015, 05:19 AM
My knuckles were as white as the driven snow on my ride home from the dealer. But my grin was ear to ear.

vided
03-18-2015, 05:40 AM
I know !! I said it but nothing happened.....

seriously, if any of you computer whizzes out there could "rotate" the pic for me,
I'd buy you lunch !!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=103774&stc=1

so when's lunch? :yikes::yikes::yikes::roflblack:

Bob Denman
03-18-2015, 07:10 AM
:welcome:
The ride home... :shocked:
These critters take some getting used-to! JayBros is right; take some time, and really get to know what's in the manual... you'll be quizzed upon it every time you turn the key! nojoke
These things steer about like a yard tractor (If you have no ATV experience/1) Get yourself to a parking lot, and GRADUALLY get the feel of what the suspension and steering are doing as you initiate a turn...
Shifting... Do you have much motorcycling experience? The theory is exactly the same on these; only the methodology is changed a bit.
Take your time, and gradually get to know what your comfort level is.
Oh...:opps: My first 2 miles on my 2010: I was SURE that I had just made the biggest mistake of my life!
That feeling will pass! :thumbup:
Keep a light grip on the bars, lean to the inside of the turns, and turn the bars in the direction that you want to go... it's actually just about that simple! :D
The picture??
Is it upside down in your computer? Get it upright in there, and then come back in here, and edit your post. Just replace the topsy-turvy one, with the newly saved upright one!

murphybrown
03-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Congrats and you are close to Springfield, MO and there is nothing to compare to Spyderfest .... :clap:

wishey1
03-18-2015, 12:22 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=103774&stc=1

so when's lunch? :yikes::yikes::yikes::roflblack:

...haha pretty cool man thanks !! Spyderfeast ?

wishey1
03-18-2015, 12:30 PM
Congrats and you are close to Springfield, MO and there is nothing to compare to Spyderfest .... :clap:

YES, this will be my first roadtrip!! Do you have to pre-register for it or do you just

show up ?

wishey1
03-18-2015, 12:37 PM
:congrats: on the new ride. Lesson learned I hope. Take it a bit easy the first 500 miles or so. A light grip on the bars. The death grip can bite you. :thumbup:

Hey, Id like to take this bike all the way up there. Road my BMW GS up there in '07. One of the biggest adventure of my life...best, w

markyodo
03-18-2015, 05:47 PM
Some of the greatest advice I was ever given on this forum was to push when steering. Push the handlebar into the turn.
It's so much easier and less stressful than relying on your arms pulling against all those forces working against you. Give it a try, it makes all the difference.

Bob Denman
03-18-2015, 05:50 PM
YES, this will be my first roadtrip!! Do you have to pre-register for it or do you just

show up ?

Here's a link to an awful lot of information about SpyderFest 2015...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?76078-Spyderfest-2015-Registration-Details

wishey1
03-18-2015, 11:46 PM

Hey thanks Cruising, it's cognac, I was torn between the white and this and they wanted $500 more for the white one which I couldn't figure out....guess the pearl in the while costs more.

thanks again...

satownsendsr
03-19-2015, 05:30 AM
Wish I could get mine to do that! It would save a lot of garage floor space. 😂

geoshmo
03-19-2015, 01:18 PM
Because I had 40 years of riding both snowmobiles and ATV's it took very little time for me to get into the Spyder groove. But I can certainly see how someone coming off of motorcycles only would take some getting used to. We have gone through a 2009 RS, 2012 TR-S and are currently dealing on a 2015 RT Ltd. We have loved both so far and I am looking forward to the 1330 motor and 6 speed transmission.

wishey1
03-19-2015, 06:31 PM
Because I had 40 years of riding both snowmobiles and ATV's it took very little time for me to get into the Spyder groove. But I can certainly see how someone coming off of motorcycles only would take some getting used to. We have gone through a 2009 RS, 2012 TR-S and are currently dealing on a 2015 RT Ltd. We have loved both so far and I am looking forward to the 1330 motor and 6 speed transmission.

Hey, aren't you suppose to type A! after every sentence ? Ha, J/k, I got a can-am basically because I wanted the security of three wheels and also, I saw a rotax engine do something incredible. My best friend and myself rode our bike to Alaska and he had a BMW 650 thumper- a one cylinder engine made for BMW with a rotax engine (I may be spelling it wrong) anyway he weighs at least 250 lbs., and he had steel Jessie bags loaded with skillets, camping gear clothes, coffee pot tent, tools you name it......that 650 went 80-90 for 6 thousand miles loaded to the hilt and never missed a beat....500 mile days....it was incredible to see...so no, I didn't have any doubts at all about the engine...

wishey1
03-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Wish I could get mine to do that! It would save a lot of garage floor space. 😂

...yes it would, good thing I sprung for the "extra grip tires" ahahaha...

Dan_Ashley
03-19-2015, 10:29 PM

tia
Bad idea. The Spyder's tires roll just a very little bit in the twisties. Follow the manual. You need the extra traction--especially after you get used to it.

wishey1
03-19-2015, 10:36 PM
Bad idea. The Spyder's tires roll just a very little bit in the twisties. Follow the manual. You need the extra traction--especially after you get used to it.

...mmmmmm, the Redlands, sorry, had a flashback --- good stuff Dan, I'll read the Manuel
about tire pressure....most of the bikes I've had need overfilling a bit for longevity....

Dan_Ashley
03-19-2015, 10:55 PM
...mmmmmm, the Redlands, sorry, had a flashback --- good stuff Dan, I'll read the Manuel
about tire pressure....most of the bikes I've had need overfilling a bit for longevity....The back tire wears out kinda fast. You will want to replace it with a Kuhmo when it does. The front ones last pretty good.

mtdoragary
03-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Swat it with a newspaper. Works for me with spiders.

Actually it takes a lot of miles getting used to Spyders, especially if you have ever ridden motorcycles. Make sure you know where all the controls are and how they function. Grip your handlebars loosely. Read the Do's and Do Not's and your manual. Most of all take it easy for awhile and have fun. Then you can drive the wheels off it.
heh heh heh

wishey1
03-20-2015, 08:03 PM
...ok, We are booked into spyderfest and have a hotel confirmation at greenway or green peace something like that......it's right on 65 which is a byway I know well.....

see y'all there :hun::dontknow::lecturef_smilie::yikes::pray::pray ::pray::opps::D:opps::shocked::pray::pray::pray:

:roflblack::yes::roflblack:

:coffee: