PDA

View Full Version : New Spyder:Windshield and handlebars

TravelingSpyder
11-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Well, got my new yellow Spyder! Very cool, although I must say it take some time to adjust from a motorcycle. But I love the stability and it has reduced my anxiety at stops and during slow turns.

My husband and I took turns riding it home, about 450 miles, although I did most of it. The second day, I developed real burning pain at the back of my head. I think it was from being beat up with the wind. We had installed a new EVO 111, but it does not work for me. I am planning to call CalSci today and talk to them.

The other thing I need is to get the "handlebars" closer to me, so I'll be looking at options there.

From previous posts, it sounds like both of these modifications are very individual; some work for some people, etc. But if any of you have any words of wisdom, let me know.

Love the HID headline and fog light adaptor kits and the No Neon Magic Triple Play. Will probably be adding more lights believing really can't have too many. Had motolights with modulator on my BMW and sometimes traffic pulled over for me!

jimclarkf1
11-17-2008, 07:55 AM
I hope your new windshield works out, Is there anychance, you or anyone else know the website to the EVO 111 windshields? for the :spyder:I want to ck them all out 1st

daddydarko
11-17-2008, 08:02 AM
I hope your new windshield works out, Is there anychance, you or anyone else know the website to the EVO 111 windshields? for the :spyder:I want to ck them all out 1st

Spyder windshields can be found here (http://www.f1windshields.com/). I did a review of my Slider (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6979).

The other thing I need is to get the "handlebars" closer to me, so I'll be looking at options there.

I suggest the NMN Risers or the Kewlmetal bars. I reviewed the latter here (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6806).

Good luck!

SpyderCrazy
11-17-2008, 08:24 AM
I am 5'3" tall. I tried the NMN 4" risers and it still was not enough rise/pullback for me. I now have the Kewlmetal center console & 9" handlebars and I am very happy with them. I purchased the Medium Cal-Sci Windshield and it was o.k. but still not tall enough. My husband also has a Spyder. He is 5'11" and has the NMN 4" Risers. He purchased the XL Cal-Sci windshield and it was not tall enough for him. We traded windshields and I now have the XL Cal-Sci and I am happy with it. He is going to use the M Cal-Sci until he can make a decision on a different windshield.
My suggestion would be to make sure you keep your height and riser/sitting position in mind when deciding which windshield to buy. At 5'3" I am very happy with the Kewl Metal 9" Handlebars, & Center Console, and the XL Cal-Sci Windshield. My next purchase will be Highway Pegs or Floorboards.

NancysToy
11-17-2008, 08:54 AM
I would not be surprised if the burning sensation at the back of your head was strictly from the handlebar position. "Cricks" in the neck can cause this very easily. Sometimes they even radiate down the arms. Don't ask how I know! The PT folks worked on me for years to help alleviate this condition. My wife is short, too, and has found that if she slides forward a little on the seat, it is much more comfortable, despite the more crouched leg position. Lets her sit more upright, without bending the head back to see down the road. Simple adjustment, that has become natural for her, and has reaped great rewards. I hope you both find the solutions you need.
-Scotty

TravelingSpyder
11-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi,

Yes, I was sitting as far forward as possible. There was so much wind/turbulance that I could not keep my face shield up and my helmet was humming. The noise, even with ear plugs was unbearable.

Now I'm wondering if I should get the handlebars right and then work on the windshield. I got can return the windshield for a refund and the spyderpro shop.

What order do you recommend doing the modifications??

I also have the Corbin seat, but using the backrest was a joke. I was 5 - 7" from it. Even with 7 - 9" pullbacks, don't know if I'll be sitting against the rest, but I suspect Ross will.

Looks like the Kewlmetal handlebars will provide a nice place for the GPS mount.

For those that responded about the 7 and 9" Kewlmetal, I take it that the handling is different, but still OK.

I was also interested in the Kewlmetal highway pegs.

daddydarko
11-17-2008, 11:09 AM
I also have the Corbin seat, but using the backrest was a joke. I was 5 - 7" from it. Even with 7 - 9" pullbacks, don't know if I'll be sitting against the rest, but I suspect Ross will.

At 5'10, my 7" KM pullbacks put me right against my Corbin backrest.

NancysToy
11-17-2008, 12:01 PM
I would certainly get the bars right before I tackled the windshield. The turbulence does sound windshield related. You may want to put on the stock shield in the interim. Windy, but not really bad buffeting.
-Scotty

ataDude
11-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I used Kewl Metal's setup. See pics below:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=42913&postcount=35

TravelingSpyder
11-17-2008, 03:56 PM
I took off the EVO 111 and put the stock windshield on. It was great in comparison and the wind was coming directly on me, instead of from the back. Yes, I'll work on the bars and then try something else on the windshield. I'm sure there will be a good solution.

babyanlee
11-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Hey Traveling try looking at Heli Modified - Had 1" riser installed and also it moved back 4.5 inchs, I really like it.