PDA

View Full Version : Dash board cluster lights flashing

Edsts
03-16-2015, 04:13 AM
GM , on the sts my lights are flashing on and off when I turn on the bike and when I start to ride , It appears to be a loose connection , the crazy thing is the sts runs in good order , I do feel the steering get stiff when the lights go off and the speedometer stops working , I want to open the cluster dash board ,

has this happen to any one !

ThreeWheels
03-16-2015, 04:42 AM
Sounds like a loose relay or perhaps the battery connections.
Since you say the steering gets stiff at the same time, chances are the battery terminals are loose.
Those are the easiest to check and the most likely causes.
I'd look there before disassembling anything.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

Edsts
03-16-2015, 05:56 AM
Sounds like a loose relay or perhaps the battery connections.
Since you say the steering gets stiff at the same time, chances are the battery terminals are loose.
Those are the easiest to check and the most likely causes.
I'd look there before disassembling anything.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

You may be correct on the battery , I will check this today.

Thanks for the advise .

Edsts
04-12-2015, 12:26 PM
This is driving me crazy , I check my battery connections which are good nice and tight . I also took the dash apart and checked all my connections which are good , I did have to give my battery a boost couple times over this winter , when the dash goes out the steering gets little hard. I think is time to go to the dealer .

Has this happen to any one on sts .

GunDoctor
04-12-2015, 06:19 PM
Battery may have a bad cell(s)

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]

Edsts
04-13-2015, 06:39 AM
Battery may have a bad cell(s)

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]

Thanks

billybovine
04-13-2015, 08:33 AM
You have a loose connection. Stiff steering is the clue. It's one of the main connections.
Not likely a battery problem.
Check both the positive and negative jumper posts to see if they are tight.
Check the main frame ground, on the left side of the battery.
Check the DPS ground. On the DPS unit.

Edsts
04-13-2015, 10:36 AM
You have a loose connection. Stiff steering is the clue. It's one of the main connections.
Not likely a battery problem.
Check both the positive and negative jumper posts to see if they are tight.
Check the main frame ground, on the left side of the battery.
Check the DPS ground. On the DPS unit.

When the dash lights go out as i am moving (riding) the steering gets stiff , I am looking at the battery but the thing is the bike has bout 4000 miles , I was wondering how would i need a battery so soon , at this point i will be checking all things recommended ,

Thanks for the input.

ThreeWheels
04-13-2015, 03:14 PM
When the dash lights go out as i am moving (riding) the steering gets stiff , I am looking at the battery but the thing is the bike has bout 4000 miles , I was wondering how would i need a battery so soon , at this point i will be checking all things recommended ,

Thanks for the input.

Did you check for a loose relay ?
Get into your relay panel. I'm not sure on the ST. I assume there is one in the frunk and one under the seat like an RT.

In any event, check your relays. Pull them out and then reset them. I don't know which one is the relay of interest.

tip
04-13-2015, 03:58 PM
as well as tight - make sure all the connections are CLEAN!
Good luck with your problem,
Tip

Edsts
05-23-2015, 05:53 PM
The dealer had the bike for 3 weeks , Went over the wiring and electrical system , checked all connections , he ended with changing the dash cluster and all is good, when i got home i now notice from 3200 miles i originally had i now have 42 miles .