PDA

View Full Version : RT-622 After the Accident

Deke
03-14-2015, 09:26 PM
So, last year on the way home from Spyderfest, I was in an accident on my 2012 RT pulling a 2010 RT-622 that I had purchased used earlier in the season. I was hit from the side on the right front wheel of my Spyder. It did tons of damage to bodies and bikes, and all that is now healed (for the most part), but what I really want help with is the trailer.

First, I don't know the history of the trailer prior to my purchasing it, including any maintenance that may or may not have been done.

Following the accident, there did not appear to be any damage, as the trailer was not directly impacted. But is there anything hidden I should be worried about?

Today I hooked up the trailer to my 2015 RT-S Special Series for the very first time. I took it for a spin for a few miles, including highway speeds. It seemed to run great, like it wasn't even there!

Is there some maintenance in general I should have done on the trailer? Something in particular I should have looked at based on the accident?

One other quick thing, the latch on the forward lid door doesn't seem to be staying securely fastened; it can pop open when closing the rear lid door. Is there some type of adjustment that can be made to tighten that, or improve its latching ability?

Thanks!

Deke

Chupaca
03-14-2015, 10:39 PM
from what I have seen here the wheel bearings should be checked and repacked. From the accident check the tongue/ bar and hitch. If you can have someone follow you and see if it is tracking straight. Check all mounting points frame to box. Seems to be good from your test ryde but give it a good once over..:thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
03-14-2015, 10:55 PM
Deke, the 2010 wiring is different from the 2015 Spyder wiring. Were you able to remove your wiring from the old bike? If not, you need to be sure that you get the grounding harness for the trailer. You will blow out the harness if you don't have this. My front latch is hard to open and close also but it has always been that way.

I'm happy to hear that you are healed and back to riding. Be safe.

jaherbst
03-14-2015, 11:25 PM
So, last year on the way home from Spyderfest, I was in an accident on my 2012 RT pulling a 2010 RT-622 that I had purchased used earlier in the season. I was hit from the side on the right front wheel of my Spyder. It did tons of damage to bodies and bikes, and all that is now healed (for the most part), but what I really want help with is the trailer.

First, I don't know the history of the trailer prior to my purchasing it, including any maintenance that may or may not have been done.

Following the accident, there did not appear to be any damage, as the trailer was not directly impacted. But is there anything hidden I should be worried about?

Today I hooked up the trailer to my 2015 RT-S Special Series for the very first time. I took it for a spin for a few miles, including highway speeds. It seemed to run great, like it wasn't even there!

Is there some maintenance in general I should have done on the trailer? Something in particular I should have looked at based on the accident?

One other quick thing, the latch on the forward lid door doesn't seem to be staying securely fastened; it can pop open when closing the rear lid door. Is there some type of adjustment that can be made to tighten that, or improve its latching ability?

Thanks!

Deke

By all means, grease the wheel bearings. Grease both inner and outer bearing on each wheel.

Jack

Deke
03-14-2015, 11:26 PM
Deke, the 2010 wiring is different from the 2015 Spyder wiring. Were you able to remove your wiring from the old bike? If not, you need to be sure that you get the grounding harness for the trailer. You will blow out the harness if you don't have this. My front latch is hard to open and close also but it has always been that way.

I'm happy to hear that you are healed and back to riding. Be safe.

Yes, the dealer transferred the hitch and wiring harness from my 2012 to my 2015. All the trailer lighting worked as expected on my test ride tonight.

Deke

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-14-2015, 11:45 PM
You said trailer didn't have damage !!!!..........Was the latch working OK before the accident ??????.......Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-15-2015, 07:41 AM
:agree: As Mike has pointed out; if it was working "differently" before... something had to have changed. :shocked:
Check the alignment of the panels over carefully; something may have just shifted a bit due to the force of the impact.
Not broken; just moved...
Good Luck! :thumbup:

Deke
03-15-2015, 09:02 AM
You said trailer didn't have damage !!!!..........Was the latch working OK before the accident ??????.......Mike :thumbup:

No, the latch didn't work particularly well before the accident, so I don't think it is related. And since the trailer feels like it is riding true, that seems to not make it an alignment issue.

The latch does latch; it just doesn't stay latched!

I think I'll try taking a look inside from the rear when I've got the front closed and see if something appears misaligned with the latch itself. It might have some micro-adjustments I can make.

PrairieSpyder
03-15-2015, 09:13 AM
I glad you're back on the road again. If you have more expense because of the trailer you should add to your insurance claim.

Tom in NM
03-15-2015, 11:16 AM

Thanks!

Deke

. . . . . I would try going to the source.

Lots of good advice so far, but it wouldn't hurt to contact BRP and ask them if there is a manual or maintenance checklist for the trailer. I realize it is an older trailer and you are not the original owner, but they may have something they can mail you to help in your inspection or adjustments.

Maybe contacting BRP Care ( Steven M. ) http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?12914-BRPcare could help speed up the process.

An alternative is to ask your Spyder dealer to check the BRP Service Network for any service bulletins or documentation on the trailer.

Maybe somebody on the forum can tell you if their "new" 2010 trailer came with any documentation that would help you out?

Just some other options.

Glad to hear you are rolling again after your accident, take care.

Tom