PDA

View Full Version : How to use "Accessory Mode" on your Spyder RT

finless
03-14-2015, 01:42 PM
Finless Video Tip of the week! :)

How to use "Accessory Mode" on your Spyder RT.

I had done a old video about this but it was not very clear and still got a lot of questions so I re-shot the video this morning. I hope this is clearer :)

Accessory mode allows you to run the radio without having all the riding lights on thus running down your battery quickly. I use this a lot while working on the Spyder and can run the radio for HOURS!
Also I did not show this in the video but if it does run your battery low, it will shut off Accessory Mode automatically and it does this before your battery gets too low to be able start the motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50YS9Q0HECA

Enjoy,
Bob

ARtraveler
03-14-2015, 01:46 PM
I learned something "new" today. Thank you. :2thumbs::2thumbs:

Dubld
03-15-2015, 01:20 AM
Thanks for posting the video. Curious how this was discovered. I didn't read anything about this in the owners manual.

finless
03-15-2015, 08:46 AM
Thanks for posting the video. Curious how this was discovered. I didn't read anything about this in the owners manual.

Believe it or not, I discovered it myself early on with my Spyder while messing around with the dash gauges.

Bob

Grandpot
03-15-2015, 09:09 AM
Good tips. I must admit, now I'm only the 2nd smartest man in the world. ;)

Chupaca
03-15-2015, 10:30 AM
great tip and something hard to find. Thanks for the updated video..:2thumbs:

PMK
03-15-2015, 10:47 AM
I found this under Audio Controls in the owners manual when I read it...I know, first mistake reading the instructions. Similar to what Bob posted. We use it often.

PK

Audio System Power

Follow one of the following steps below to turn the audio system ON:
– Turn ignition switch to ON
– Press MODE button for 3 seconds immediately after ignition switch is turned OFF.

Follow one of the following steps below to turn the audio system OFF:
– Turn ignition switch to OFF
– If the audio was ON with the ignition switch to OFF, press MODE button for 10 seconds.

Purple Guy
03-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Thanks for another helpful tip! :thumbup:

Dubld
03-15-2015, 12:14 PM
Believe it or not, I discovered it myself early on with my Spyder while messing around with the dash gauges.

Bob

I believe you. You look like you know what you are doing. Thanks again for the helpful tip.

Dan

garb55
03-15-2015, 12:24 PM
I found this under Audio Controls in the owners manual when I read it...I know, first mistake reading the instructions. Similar to what Bob posted. We use it often.

PK

Audio System Power

– Press MODE button for 3 seconds immediately after ignition switch is turned OFF.

– If the audio was ON with the ignition switch to OFF, press MODE button for 10 seconds.

Shame Shame Shame:lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_s milie:
Now you broke the code
Men don't read Maps or instructions:roflblack:

PMK
03-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Shame Shame Shame:lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_s milie:
Now you broke the code
Men don't read Maps or instructions:roflblack:

Sorry...

I give Finless huge props for finding it on his own...When we got the Spyder, Wifey wanted music, so I needed to sort out the preselects and had to use the owners manual to do that.

Finless has posted some of the best assets on Spydelovers.

PK

finless
03-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Sorry...

I give Finless huge props for finding it on his own...When we got the Spyder, Wifey wanted music, so I needed to sort out the preselects and had to use the owners manual to do that.

Finless has posted some of the best assets on Spydelovers.

PK

Thank you!
I appreciate the kudos...
I absolutely love teaching no matter what it is that I am doing. Good or bad, right or wrong on how I do it, I show what I can.

Thanks! :cheers:

Bob

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-15-2015, 11:57 PM

PK

Audio System Power

I read this last year but never could get it to work. I think the time needed to hold the mode button may be more than 3 seconds. Either that or I did something else wrong. All I know is I tried it several times with no luck. But it worked today when I tried it.

One caution though! If the parking brake is NOT set, the warning beep does NOT stop after 20 seconds like it usually does. So you cannot leave the parking brake off AND listen to the radio with the key off, unless you want to hear the beep stay on the whole time!

PMK
03-16-2015, 04:47 AM
I read this last year but never could get it to work. I think the time needed to hold the mode button may be more than 3 seconds. Either that or I did something else wrong. All I know is I tried it several times with no luck. But it worked today when I tried it.

One caution though! If the parking brake is NOT set, the warning beep does NOT stop after 20 seconds like it usually does. So you cannot leave the parking brake off AND listen to the radio with the key off, unless you want to hear the beep stay on the whole time!

FWIW, I turn off key, and within a few seconds, maybe 10 max but I never timed it, I hit mode and hold it until the display fires up. Then adjust radio as desired.

As for the parking brake, I will need to check this to see if accessory mode still keeps it beeping. Either it does not, or each time I tried the accessory setting the brakes were set.

PK

finless
03-16-2015, 08:50 AM
The 2011 RTS SM5 doesn't have this warning. The only warning it gives me is if I try to start rolling when the parking brake is set. I get a beeping letting me know I am letting out the clutch and the brake is still set.

As I recall they added the "not set" warning in 2013?

Bob

billybovine
03-16-2015, 09:12 AM
The 2011 RTS SM5 doesn't have this warning. The only warning it gives me is if I try to start rolling when the parking brake is set. I get a beeping letting me know I am letting out the clutch and the brake is still set.

As I recall they added the "not set" warning in 2013?

Bob

Parking brake not set warning is on SE models because they can roll away even in gear. My 2009 SE5 had the same warning.

finless
03-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Parking brake not set warning is on SE models because they can roll away even in gear. My 2009 SE5 had the same warning.

Good to know! Now stuck in my memory bank :)

Bob

JAEN
03-23-2015, 04:20 PM
Finless Video Tip of the week! :)

How to use "Accessory Mode" on your Spyder RT.

I had done a old video about this but it was not very clear and still got a lot of questions so I re-shot the video this morning. I hope this is clearer :)

Accessory mode allows you to run the radio without having all the riding lights on thus running down your battery quickly. I use this a lot while working on the Spyder and can run the radio for HOURS!
Also I did not show this in the video but if it does run your battery low, it will shut off Accessory Mode automatically and it does this before your battery gets too low to be able start the motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50YS9Q0HECA

Enjoy,
Bob Hi Bob;Thank you for all of your informative videos. My Wifes 2010 RTS acc mode won't stay on. As per your instructions, after turning the key off , pressing Mode and getting Limp home , park lights ?(LEDS),fender markers and tail lights go off as they are supposed to do but the fuel and temp guage lights stay on (and radio)-then in 5-10 seconds- I get the Check engine light for 1 second and everything shuts down. What are your thoughts about this ? Thx Jae

finless
03-23-2015, 06:20 PM
Hi Bob;Thank you for all of your informative videos. My Wifes 2010 RTS acc mode won't stay on. As per your instructions, after turning the key off , pressing Mode and getting Limp home , park lights ?(LEDS),fender markers and tail lights go off as they are supposed to do but the fuel and temp guage lights stay on (and radio)-then in 5-10 seconds- I get the Check engine light for 1 second and everything shuts down. What are your thoughts about this ? Thx Jae

That is odd but I cannot speak for the 2010. Maybe it wont work on a 2010? Someone with a 2010 needs to chime in.

But with that said maybe your battery is not holding voltage well?
The Spyder will shut off the ACC mode when the battery falls to a certain voltage. This voltage is not low enough to keep you from starting your spyder which is a good thing it does that.

It might be possible your battery while still capable of starting your Spyder and charging, it rapidly drops to that threshold voltage when under load and not running. I just replaced my battery for this reason! My battery still worked e.g. started the spyder, etc but when I would stop say to fill the tank for few minutes leaving the key on, the battery voltage got real low FAST! One time I left the key on for about 5 minutes and almost could not start the Spyder. It barely turned over. Yet again, when recharged by running the motor, if I turned the key off right away I could leave it in the garage for days and it would still start.

So the point is, under load with no motor running a battery that is starting to go just wont deliver the AMPs for very long before draining quickly. I hope that makes a little sense?

If you have not replaced your battery on your 2010 yet, it might be time. My 2011 just got replaced a few weeks ago.

Just a suggestion as to what might be happening? Only way to know if this is the reason is to use a volt meter and see what the voltage is without the motor running. If it is dropping below about 12V with the key on or in ACC mode, you got a battery going on you.

Bob

JAEN
03-24-2015, 11:10 AM
That is odd but I cannot speak for the 2010. Maybe it wont work on a 2010? Someone with a 2010 needs to chime in.

But with that said maybe your battery is not holding voltage well?
The Spyder will shut off the ACC mode when the battery falls to a certain voltage. This voltage is not low enough to keep you from starting your spyder which is a good thing it does that.

It might be possible your battery while still capable of starting your Spyder and charging, it rapidly drops to that threshold voltage when under load and not running. I just replaced my battery for this reason! My battery still worked e.g. started the spyder, etc but when I would stop say to fill the tank for few minutes leaving the key on, the battery voltage got real low FAST! One time I left the key on for about 5 minutes and almost could not start the Spyder. It barely turned over. Yet again, when recharged by running the motor, if I turned the key off right away I could leave it in the garage for days and it would still start.

So the point is, under load with no motor running a battery that is starting to go just wont deliver the AMPs for very long before draining quickly. I hope that makes a little sense?

If you have not replaced your battery on your 2010 yet, it might be time. My 2011 just got replaced a few weeks ago.

Just a suggestion as to what might be happening? Only way to know if this is the reason is to use a volt meter and see what the voltage is without the motor running. If it is dropping below about 12V with the key on or in ACC mode, you got a battery going on you.

BobHi Bob; The battery is 1 yr old and after being on battery tender over night - shows 13 volts. With key ON and computer all booted up and radio ON (5-10 minutes)- voltage dropped slowly to 12.36 volts and held there . Tried Acc Mode trick again with the same results. Key OFF and the battery returned to 12.86 volts. I call the battery GOOD. I started the engine to see the voltage drop during cranking - 10.94 volts. Engine running - charging at 14.1 volts. Key OFF - battery slowly returned to 12.83 volts. Acc Mode is not a priority as I would probably seldom use it. Your video perked my interest - so I had to try ! Any more thoughts ? Thx and keep the videos coming. Jae.

finless
03-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Hi Bob; The battery is 1 yr old and after being on battery tender over night - shows 13 volts. With key ON and computer all booted up and radio ON (5-10 minutes)- voltage dropped slowly to 12.36 volts and held there . Tried Acc Mode trick again with the same results. Key OFF and the battery returned to 12.86 volts. I call the battery GOOD. I started the engine to see the voltage drop during cranking - 10.94 volts. Engine running - charging at 14.1 volts. Key OFF - battery slowly returned to 12.83 volts. Acc Mode is not a priority as I would probably seldom use it. Your video perked my interest - so I had to try ! Any more thoughts ? Thx and keep the videos coming. Jae.

Well I do not know then. Maybe it just doesn't work on the 2010 model software?

Has your Spyder ever been to the dealer an hooked up to BUDs and gotten a software update?

Just to make sure your doing it right. Turn off the key and then quickly press and HOLD mode button. You have to do this before the screen shuts off completely. Keep holding it until the screen comes back on and the radio is playing. On my 2011 shortly after this I get the limp home mode, that clears and then no other messages like check engine.

Other than that, I have no clue..

Again maybe someone else with a 2010 can tell if it theirs works?

Bob

philblumenfeld
03-24-2015, 02:57 PM
You are the Man, Bob

Thanks again for a great video and find.

Marker
03-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Thanks learned something new today about my spyder.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-18-2015, 02:51 PM
I just discovered today a hitch with this way of having the audio stay on after turning the key off. The battery voltage MUST stay at 12.0 or above.

When I tried this today the audio turned off after about 30 seconds. I noticed on my battery monitor the voltage was at 11.9 so I did some checking. With the battery tender connected and the voltage staying at 12.0 the audio stayed on. I disconnected the tender and as soon as the voltage dropped to 11.9 the audio shut off.

Edit: I just noticed that Bob mentioned this above in an easy to miss last sentence!:banghead:

fratzba
05-30-2015, 12:27 PM
FYI, if you do this on a 2015 RTS/SE6, and the Spyder is in reverse, it will leave the back-up light on.

I'm not sure about other models/years.

You might want to make sure you're in some other gear to save battery drain.

-Fratz

GeorgiaBill
08-16-2016, 09:04 AM
Accessory Mode Tip. Thanks Bob and Paul and all others. I think I'll leave the radio on and see how long it takes for the battery to drop below 12 volts IN MY GARAGE, to get a feel for my battery health.