PDA

View Full Version : I'm officially an incompetent idiot

ArachnidRyder
03-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Today I decided to install the cat delete pipe I bought from pit bull in preparation for a big ride a week from Saturday. The spyder is now torn apart in the garage with the cat removed and I've discovered my skill is insufficient to install the bypass pipe. I've tried all the tricks suggested here and it still looks to be an eighth inch off when I hold it up under the bike.

Can anyone suggest someone to help in the Phoenix area? I'd gladly tow it to a local shop, but I don't think they'd be willing to install the new pipe which I really want for all the normal reasons (heat reduction, better mpg, etc.). What makes matters worse is that I have a big ride coming up a week from this Saturday.

It's been a rough day and I'm tired, sore and feeling stupid for having made my wonderful spyder non-functional. Maybe a good night's sleep will bring a better tomorrow. Signing off for tonight.103519

Chupaca
03-13-2015, 02:06 AM
Shane Taylor is in Gilbert AZ. Don't know the distance but worth a try. He offers mechanical assistance. 480-297-3584. Spyders to the rescue can be found home page right hand side second box down...:thumbup:

ArachnidRyder
03-13-2015, 07:16 AM
Glendale is reasonably close. I'll give Shane a call. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copilot
03-13-2015, 08:55 AM
I had the same problem. If you can, the right side put on first. Just get it started then hook the spring on it go to left side push or pull the pipe from the engine and tap it on with a rubber mallet. You really need a third hand to do this job. Also spread the flange before starting then insert the gasket.
Have fun, take your time, and I drank about a six pack to figure it out.

BikerDoc
03-13-2015, 08:59 AM
You folks are courageous.. I just defer jobs like this to my great dealer Central Florida Powersports. They do the work fast and reasonable and I spend all my extra time ryding.

bzbaeren
03-13-2015, 09:21 AM
Today I decided to install the cat delete pipe I bought from pit bull in preparation for a big ride a week from Saturday. The spyder is now torn apart in the garage with the cat removed and I've discovered my skill is insufficient to install the bypass pipe. I've tried all the tricks suggested here and it still looks to be an eighth inch off when I hold it up under the bike.

Can anyone suggest someone to help in the Phoenix area? I'd gladly tow it to a local shop, but I don't think they'd be willing to install the new pipe which I really want for all the normal reasons (heat reduction, better mpg, etc.). What makes matters worse is that I have a big ride coming up a week from this Saturday.

It's been a rough day and I'm tired, sore and feeling stupid for having made my wonderful spyder non-functional. Maybe a good night's sleep will bring a better tomorrow. Signing off for tonight.103519
A rubber or wooden mallet will go a long way toward finishing this job I know because I just did the job myself 2 weeks ago:yes::yes:

ArachnidRyder
03-14-2015, 08:44 PM
Good news! Pit bull overnighted me new slip gaskets to replace the two I destroyed and even dug up two springs to replace the ones that a former mechanic apparently never re-installed. I was still having problems with the install today, but Shane from Spyders to the rescue talked me down.

Turns out that I was too ambitious in my heat wrapping. Too much wrap caused the pipe to not fit in the right space. The Cat Bypass is now installed without need of hammer or swear words. It certainly sounds good. Not exactly louder, but deeper/richer. Hopefully it will have the desired effect of less heat, better mpg and a bit more torque.

Thanks to everyone for your help, especially M109Dreamer (Shane) and Pitbull. We really have great people in our spyder community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Burped
03-14-2015, 09:53 PM
I'm proud of you. You had the courage to attempt such a project. You figured out what the problem was. You got the right parts. You were wise enough to get some help when you needed it. Finally, you completed the project. This is not incompetent nor are you an idiot. Ride it with pride.

Remember to "Live before you die".

robmorg
03-16-2015, 06:25 PM
GOOD for you. http://robmorgan.net/img-sm/good_job.gif
You must have felt great finishing up that job. And the best part... you are now NO LONGER officially an incompetent idiot. :clap:;)

Knowing my limitations, I took mine to the dealer to do. :rolleyes:

Netminder
03-16-2015, 06:31 PM
Have to agree with the above comments, you are no idiot! You got the job done!:thumbup::thumbup:

Dan McNally
03-16-2015, 09:12 PM
. . . and thanks for posting the results! So often, someone posts that their framberstat :hun: has melted into their camberlock servo adjuster :dontknow:, ask for assistance, get a bunch of advice . . . and then never tell us if they resolved the problem or which posted resolution worked for them . . . :banghead:

M109Dreamer
03-17-2015, 12:40 AM
Glad it all worked out. Looks like I will be working this weekend again and wont be able to join you for this weekends ride.