PDA

View Full Version : Search feature is useless

mtdoragary
03-12-2015, 05:03 PM
I had the stuck gas cap problem and tried search using "gas cap", "cap", "stuck gas cap". Nothing got me any results. So I googles "stuck gas cap Spyder" and got dozens of results, mostly on Spyderlovers.

Bob Denman
03-12-2015, 05:33 PM
You always have to be careful what you're looking for... :shocked:
Those 3 words, will bring up every thread and post with any ONE of those words in it... :gaah:
you'll have radiator caps, master cylinder caps, baseball caps, gas tank capacities, gas hydraulic shocks, and I have no idea what "Stuck" might also bring to the table! :yikes:
It can be really frustrating, but try using the least amount of words necessary for your search... :thumbup:

Firefly
03-12-2015, 05:36 PM
Bing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
03-12-2015, 05:38 PM
:D Welcome back; Mal... or Rick... or Nathan! :thumbup:

mtdoragary
03-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Also tried each word separately. Same results. Doesn't matter. There's always Google!

Dan McNally
03-13-2015, 05:49 PM
I had the stuck gas cap problem and tried search using "gas cap", "cap", "stuck gas cap". Nothing got me any results. So I googles "stuck gas cap Spyder" and got dozens of results, mostly on Spyderlovers.

So demand the money you pay to belong to Spyderlovers be refunded . . . :roflblack:

Eagle1
03-13-2015, 06:19 PM
I find the same thing, use Google or ask. Com and it take you to Spyder Lovers.

Chupaca
03-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Guess google knows how to search our site better than we do :roflblack:nojoke google does bring me here a lot...:thumbup:

finless
03-13-2015, 06:56 PM
VBulletin (which is what this site uses) is just that way. It's one thing they just have not done a good job of implementing.
I run several Vbulletin Web Sites and this is a number one complaint.

Bob

PistonBlown
03-13-2015, 11:16 PM
One trick. If your searching on more than one word and put "s around them then you will only get results that match all three words in that order:

e.g.
"stuck gas cap" - comes back with just three results
"gas cap stuck" - comes back with just one
stuck gas cap - comes back with 20 pages worth - most of which will be junk. Basically any mention of stuck, gas or cap.

You'll probably still need to play around a bit with the words you choose but it really helps cut down the rubbish.

nhoj
03-14-2015, 07:43 AM
Google has a method of just searching a specific site.

In Google try site:www.spyderlovers.com (http://www.spyderlovers.com) "stuck gas cap"

As mentioned above enter your search string inside quotes although even without them Google is more intuitive.

Note: Looks like the forum software added a hyperlink to the www above. Just enter the whole phrase in Google search.