PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel well is not sealed

iandemel
03-11-2015, 09:24 PM
I needed to access the battery compartment on my 2011 RT LTD in order to install a wiring harness / isolator for my trailer hitch.
The instructions said that behind the battery I would find a hole to run the trailer wires through.
I placed a trouble light on top of the tire so that I could more easily see any opening and was shocked at the open area between the wheel well and the battery compartment / wiring jungle.
I don't really like the idea that every time we get caught in wet weather there will be an abundance of water splashing around the area especially after I install more electrical components there.
I also didn't really like feeding the trailer wires through the wheel well and risk having them get mixed up with the tire if a clamp came loose.
I found a nice spot in front of the battery to run the wires down and along the rear suspension (away from the belt) to reach the hitch.
I have a couple questions for all of the experts here:
1) Is anyone aware of an aftermarket company that makes a liner for the rear wheel well / fender area? (might be a good Spyder Pops kit)
2) Do you think it would hurt anything if I nipped off the front corner of the battery cover so that I could access the battery compartment without removing all of the side panels?
Thanks in advance.

ahh-cool
03-11-2015, 09:39 PM
not sure what you're talking about. I have a cover. Right now I have the rear wheel off and I'm re-installing the compressor.
The cover had to come off for that. I'm also building a trailer wiring harness and installing it.
I'm going to Daytona on Friday morning. So I need to finish it tomorrow.
Stefan

Chupaca
03-11-2015, 09:47 PM
under the splash guard is a rather empty space and a fair amount of wires but have not seen anyone have a problem with water getting in and causing problems. The factory connectors are water tight and if so inclined you could get flex housing (pretty colors at auto parts stores) and run the cables through that and tape up the ends. :thumbup: