PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to detail a Spyder!

Slagiatt
03-11-2015, 03:22 PM
For those of you who haven't noticed the fine print in the picture in my posts, SLAGIATT stands for "Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time." I adopted that years ago when I told my kids that it would be the title of my autobiography. Now, this phrase normally refers to things I DELIBERATELY do, that turn out later not to have been such a good idea. Not sure the following qualifies, but I just have to share this.

For everyone who has done a Bozo move with a motorcycle (forgot to put the kickstand down, etc.) add this to the list of stories.

Last night I detailed my new F3 using McGuiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer. I immediately noticed a film over all of the surface...almost a greasy film. I changed rags...many times...and had to wipe each spot several times just to get the surface reasonably clean again. Also, it just wasn't shiny like it should have been. Of course, I started going through all of the things BRP could have done to this new paint job...not likely, but paranoia and impending buyer's remorse can do strange things to you. I re-shook the container of detailer, changed rag type multiple times...it was just a not-quite-dull-but-at-least-its-clean finish. Not happy.

When I got back from today' ride, i decided to try to wipe off at least the mud splatters I picked up along the way. So, naturally, I picked up my bottle of McGuiar's....and that's when the mystery was solved...even though the bottle has a slightly different shape, it is a black spray bottle that I had been using...a spray bottle of McGuiar's Wheel Cleaner! :banghead:Frickin' unbelievable that language that came out of my mouth! SLAGIATT

Fortunately, the wheel cleaner doesn't damage paint...whew!...and you'll never guess: When I detailed the Spyder actually using the Detailer (Duh!) it came out beautiful! Boy, life is fun!

On a side note, when i finished the job with the wheel cleaner last night, the wheels were especially clean. Go figure!:dontknow:

ARtraveler
03-11-2015, 03:27 PM
You too? :yikes: Many of us have been there, done similar... :roflblack::roflblack:

Chupaca
03-11-2015, 06:04 PM
glad it was all reversable and things are right in your world once again. Well don't think that will happen again...:thumbup:

vrider
03-11-2015, 07:45 PM
Just so happens I noticed my bottle of detailer on my work bench in the garage frozen solid and almost empty.... My son decided to use it to clean his bicycle.

I will have to make sure to keep the Wheel Cleaner on the wheels..... Can only imagine what may have come out of my mouth had I done what you did... then the OMG what did a ruin thoughts...

Glad it all worked out and your Spyder is beautiful again.

Grandpa Pete
03-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Glad to here all is well:pray: I'm still nervous about cleaning/detailing my 2014 with the matte silver paint. I think I just have to go for it, but not use detail spray as it contains wax. I have some Chemical Brothers matte cleaner and this should do the trick:thumbup::thumbup:

kngfsh27
03-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Been there, done that. Glad I am not the only one. Just glad it all came out well for you.

Bob Denman
03-12-2015, 07:20 AM
I've heard it said, that we all learn from our mistakes... :D
If that's the case; why ain't I a Genius already?? :shocked:

Dan McNally
03-12-2015, 07:40 AM
LOL! Reminds me of Lamont's story . . . be glad it wasn't something you drank!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?28186-Stupid-things-I-ve-done-on-a-road-trip&highlight=energy+drink+fuel

den1953
03-12-2015, 07:57 AM
Sounds like something I would do!!! LOL

Orange Spyder Man
03-12-2015, 08:09 AM
Senior moment ?

billybovine
03-12-2015, 08:47 AM
Some years ago a neighbor with limited gardening skills saw some bugs eating his roses in the flower bed. He got some bug killer and sprayed everything. It turned out it was not bug killer he used. It was Roundup and he killed everything. Cost him a couple thousand to have everything replaced.

draboo
03-13-2015, 01:31 AM
Keep your Preperation H and toothpaste separate!

SpyderWingman
03-13-2015, 10:18 PM
Think everybody has had a moment like this ....in my family we call it suffering from B.L.A.S :banghead: (brainless luggage ape syndrome)

My best/worst moment was working on my brothers 68 Cougar grabbed a quart of de-greaser that was in same shape and bottle type and the Valvoline we were using and fired the engine for luckily only 30 seconds as i knocked my brother into the passenger seat to shut the car off when i noticed my mistake .....he was about to rev the engine up the oil came out like water was almost completely broken down THAT fast