PDA

View Full Version : Ramps to allow you to work on your Spyder

Terry L
03-08-2015, 12:06 PM
I really don't mind paying for service if the price is appropriate, the job is done within a reasonable amount of time and done right. I guess I'm just too picky!! Spyderiderjim showed me how easy it was to change your own oil and he had ramps so I made these. Buy 3 - 8 ft. long 2 by 12's and 1 piece of plywood 1/2 inch thick. (less than $100) Make your front ramps from the 2"-12" 4 feet long before starting your angle and then the 2 pieces you cut off you use these for your back ramp. Cut 1/2 inch plywood in 1 foot strips and place on outside of 2' - 12'' boards for the top of your ramps. I used 1 inch pieces of the plywood with grain of wood going cross wise for strips on ramp. You will not need to much of a top for your back ramp and angle can be greater than what I did, which was 2 feet. (may have more problems with sliding if lighter?) The remaining 2 pieces will make a nice box for your oil pan or jack. Use rubber mats under if on concrete floor to keep from sliding. On this site and YouTube you can watch someone do about anything you need to get done or ask and someone will do one and show you how (amazing site). I bought my last oil filers and rings from BajaRon on Amazon and oil from Amzoil on the internet which now can also be bought through BajaRon. A great place to start is with this YouTube and go from there....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVulKP4_GaU&index=4&list=WL Good Luck and have Fun.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=103289&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=103290&stc=1

oldgoat
03-08-2015, 01:23 PM
I'd love to see that rear ramp further in on the rear tire. Scares me as it is in the pic.

Cavman
03-08-2015, 01:38 PM
I see that you drive forward to get on the front ramps. But how did the rear tire get on the ramp as it's backwards from the front ones?

Chupaca
03-08-2015, 01:40 PM
saw this one before. Nice set up a bit heavy and I would just use a single rolling jack to raise the rear. Getting the right postion should get you centered on the ramp....:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-08-2015, 02:44 PM
I see that you drive forward to get on the front ramps. But how did the rear tire get on the ramp as it's backwards from the front ones?

:dontknow:......I think He drove forward enough and then placed rear ramp at rear tire and backed up ?????.........my guess .....Mike Also because I'm extremely frugal....this could be made from two sheets of 5/8 plywood ( with some leftover ) as long as you blocked the inside of the boxes so they wouldn't twist ( similar to what they do to the joists in your house ) .....The vertical strength of plywood is Hugh so a 2 inch wide wood is not necessary.....all plywood would make these a much lighter.....just throwin this out there.....Mike

pitzerwm
03-08-2015, 05:16 PM
:dontknow:......I think He drove forward enough and then placed rear ramp at rear tire and backed up ?????.........my guess .....Mike Also because I'm extremely frugal....this could be made from two sheets of 5/8 plywood ( with some leftover ) as long as you blocked the inside of the boxes so they wouldn't twist ( similar to what they do to the joists in your house ) .....The vertical strength of plywood is Hugh so a 2 inch wide wood is not necessary.....all plywood would make these a much lighter.....just throwin this out there.....Mike

Mike..You are way too practical/frugal:yes::D

coz
03-08-2015, 05:29 PM
that's all you really need. once the bike is raised up a foot or so, you can work on it while sitting on a little shop stool. it beats the hell out of kneeling.:thumbup:

cyclelover63
03-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Great thread,especially with the panel removal video..Thanks!!

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-08-2015, 07:19 PM
Mike..You are way too practical/frugal:yes::D

:agree:...............It's a great idea and as DIY'er I applaud Him...............however no one needs to get a Hernia. I've built two homes ( physically ) so I know a little bit about stress loads etc.......You could also make the thing out of SOLID STEEL but WHY...............It doesn't take a sledge hammer to kill a fly, use one if that makes you happy. What I said was an alternative suggestion....not a mandated DO IT THIS WAY OR ELSE.........Peace ..Mike :thumbup:

Terry L
03-09-2015, 02:20 PM
That is why the front ramps are 4 ft. long so that you can pull far enough ahead and then place the back ramp down and back up on it. Great place to put tools and use as table. Did not pull far enough ahead to get the back wheel on the back ramp as stable as it can be. Test run when I took the picture. Just an inexpensive and easy way to get under your Spyder and they stack along the side of my garage. They are a little heavy but help with the sliding and they take very little cutting or putting together! Ok someone, mold these out of plastic and have them fit inside of each other and charge a few hundred dollars for them.............

thrinsag
03-09-2015, 03:39 PM
I have an old lawnmower lift and I extended the lift-arms with pieces of old bed rails and 5/16" bolts. The front wheels easily drive right onto the wheel locks. The actual jack is a little small for the job, but keep pumping and it gets it done. Works like a champ for the front end. No so with the rear, but that can be done with a lift jack (I think). Even then I put cinder blocks under the wheels for a fail-safe.

oldgoat
03-09-2015, 06:43 PM
That is why the front ramps are 4 ft. long so that you can pull far enough ahead and then place the back ramp down and back up on it. Great place to put tools and use as table. Did not pull far enough ahead to get the back wheel on the back ramp as stable as it can be. Test run when I took the picture. Just an inexpensive and easy way to get under your Spyder and they stack along the side of my garage. They are a little heavy but help with the sliding and they take very little cutting or putting together! Ok someone, mold these out of plastic and have them fit inside of each other and charge a few hundred dollars for them.............

Good. I'm glad the front ramps are long enough for you to pull forward then back & fully be on the rear ramp.

I like them & not expensive. Just need somewhere to store them when not in use.

pitzerwm
03-09-2015, 11:44 PM
Good. I'm glad the front ramps are long enough for you to pull forward then back & fully be on the rear ramp.

I like them & not expensive. Just need somewhere to store them when not in use.

As Blueknight suggested make them from plywood, I would use 3/4" and what about making each a little larger than the last and then you could stack them. As for the internal bracing Mike suggested use some angle iron in the corners maybe 2x2 wood, or 1x2 and use good glue.

BTW Terry L, is the ramp angle ever an issue. I'm thinking that the back wheel would slip on the garage concrete.

Terry L
03-11-2015, 01:08 AM
As Blueknight suggested make them from plywood, I would use 3/4" and what about making each a little larger than the last and then you could stack them. As for the internal bracing Mike suggested use some angle iron in the corners maybe 2x2 wood, or 1x2 and use good glue.

BTW Terry L, is the ramp angle ever an issue. I'm thinking that the back wheel would slip on the garage concrete.

Dollar store rubber mats keep them from sliding.