PDA

View Full Version : Fuse 7 to 8 for charging...

gparr
03-06-2015, 11:41 AM
First off...I know I am a dufus when it comes to mechanical issues...but I am a musician...and I use the other side of my brain.

I have read where I need to change my fuse from 7 to 8 so I can plug my battery maintainer in the 12v plug in the trunk.

I have pulled the fuse panel off of the right side...and they are labeled 8-1 readin left to right.

Can someone look at the pic and tell me what I am supposed to do since 8 and 7 already have fuses in them?

Thanks!

billybovine
03-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Ignore the numbering molded in. Count from your left to right. Pull out the yellow fuse with the number 5 on it. Reinstall it 1 slot to your right from where it was removed.

You did not share what year your Spyder is. If it is a 2014 look at page 150 in your manual for further reference.

Bob Denman
03-06-2015, 12:11 PM
:agree: If it's a 2014; the manual does cover this process in decent detail. :thumbup:

OverHillAndDale
03-06-2015, 12:13 PM
First, are you looking at the right side fusebox from your perspective sitting on the bike? At first I thought the right side was with me looking into the trunk from the front, and I was backwards.

On my bike, Nanny come on when I had a fuse in both 6 and 7. 8 is unused (2014 RT). The instructions read "NOTE: When fuse 6 is installed, 12 V power outlet is only operational when ignition switch is at ON position. Whenfuse 7 is installed, 12 V power outlet is always operational."

If you're looking at the right fusebox (and your instructions are the same) then putting a fuse in 8 will do nothing, you want one in 7, and 6 should be empty.

OverHillAndDale
03-06-2015, 12:15 PM
and... billybovine is right about ignoring the molded in numbering.....

billybovine
03-06-2015, 12:19 PM
First, are you looking at the right side fusebox from your perspective sitting on the bike? At first I thought the right side was with me looking into the trunk from the front, and I was backwards.

On my bike, Nanny come on when I had a fuse in both 6 and 7. 8 is unused (2014 RT). The instructions read "NOTE: When fuse 6 is installed, 12 V power outlet is only operational when ignition switch is at ON position. Whenfuse 7 is installed, 12 V power outlet is always operational."

If you're looking at the right fusebox (and your instructions are the same) then putting a fuse in 8 will do nothing, you want one in 7, and 6 should be empty.

The picture is the correct fuse box.

JayBros
03-06-2015, 12:43 PM
My fuses boxes have labels marking them as L and R. The L/R convention is from the rider's perspective sitting on the vehicle ready to ride.

Bob Denman
03-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Mine too! ;)

gparr
03-06-2015, 03:09 PM
Ignore the numbering molded in. Count from your left to right. Pull out the yellow fuse with the number 5 on it. Reinstall it 1 slot to your right from where it was removed.

You did not share what year your Spyder is. If it is a 2014 look at page 150 in your manual for further reference.

Sorry...2014 RT Limited

gparr
03-06-2015, 03:11 PM
:agree: If it's a 2014; the manual does cover this process in decent detail. :thumbup:

Thanks, Bob,

i have yet to get to get the manual. It supposedly is in the "mail"!

gparr
03-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Yes...it is the fuse box labeled RIGHT.

So if I am understanding correctly...I just take out the last fuse on the right and move it over I placement?

billybovine
03-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Yes...it is the fuse box labeled RIGHT.

So if I am understanding correctly...I just take out the last fuse on the right and move it over I placement?

Yup!

Bob Denman
03-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Thanks, Bob,

i have yet to get to get the manual. It supposedly is in the "mail"!

You can also download the manuals at BRP's website... :thumbup:
(It's been a while since I did this, so I'm not up on the way to get to them... :opps:)

EDIT: You can find it under the "Owners" button...

billybovine
03-06-2015, 04:01 PM
To get the online version of your Owners guide. http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/SiteMods/OP_GUIDE/OPGUIDE_Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fdefault.aspx%3fbra nds%3droadster%26lang%3de%26type%3dog&brands=roadster&lang=e&type=og

Click on "view" ignore everything else.
Click on 2014
Click on Spyder 2014
Under the heading Spyder RT click on EN1- Operator Guide

Doc - Riverside
03-06-2015, 04:15 PM
First off...I know I am a dufus when it comes to mechanical issues...but I am a musician...and I use the other side of my brain.

I have read where I need to change my fuse from 7 to 8 so I can plug my battery maintainer in the 12v plug in the trunk.

I have pulled the fuse panel off of the right side...and they are labeled 8-1 readin left to right.

Can someone look at the pic and tell me what I am supposed to do since 8 and 7 already have fuses in them?

Thanks!

Per your picture move the 5 amp (Yellow fuse) to the right one position. It is now in location labeled 3 and you want to move it to location labeled 2. Position labeled 1 is not used thus the no contact on the lower hole.

Doc - Riverside
03-06-2015, 04:23 PM

Thanks!

Per you picture you are on the right track. The 5 amp (yellow fuse) is F6 located in the slot labeled 3 is the keyed DC power . Move the fuse to the right to location labeled 2. It is now known as Fuse F7 which gives you DC power to the trunk socket all the time. The position labeled 1 is not used because there is no contact in the bottom hole.

JayBros
03-06-2015, 05:34 PM
It was nice of our friends north of the border to number the fuse slots in the Operartor's Guide, pg 150, exactly the opposite of the embossed numbering on the fuse box circuit board!

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-06-2015, 11:36 PM
It was nice of our friends north of the border to number the fuse slots in the Operartor's Guide, pg 150, exactly the opposite of the embossed numbering on the fuse box circuit board!
That by far is not the only inconsistency in their use of nomenclature. Many parts have a different name in the parts list than in the service manual text. And the same part will have a different name from one year to the next. And lot of times they ignore long established nomenclature. I don't remember what they call the switch for the frunk lid, but they don't call it a microswitch like 99.99% of the world does. Those guys up north need some real serious documentation and nomenclature policies and standards, and training on how to follow them.

gparr
03-07-2015, 05:20 PM
Thanks, Doc!

Jay...that is what made me concerned from the get go...I was looking at the online manual and then the fuse box...and didn't trust myself...

You guys here are the best!