PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Install

SNOOPY
03-02-2015, 07:59 PM
So, what is the trick of installing a rear axle without messing w/ the tensioners?

It seems if the rear wheel could be magically pulled back it would work. roflmao

Tried lifting, lowering, pulling, blocking, cursing... roflmao

:popcorn:

Gray Ghost
03-02-2015, 10:17 PM
So, what is the trick of installing a rear axle without messing w/ the tensioners?

There is a video on the forum that shows how to remove the rear wheel by removing the lower shock bolt that should give you enough slack to take it off and put it on without tweaking the adjusters. When I tried it though I had a bent shock bolt which set the tone for the whole experience. If you do use that that technique, do something to keep the adjusters from twisting around while they aren't in place. best of luck to you.

SNOOPY
03-02-2015, 10:46 PM
I did that, it was still way off. :(

Chupaca
03-02-2015, 10:56 PM
I believe it only works if you drop the shock. Still tough but have to be high enough for the wheel to drop low enough. I tried it once but in the end had to adjust the tension anyway so just re-did it all...double check once you tighten the axle by rotating the wheel several times forward then back and the belt should not wander from side to side...:banghead:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-02-2015, 11:50 PM
If the adjusters aren't both at the full stop position when you loosen the axel , when you try to align it during re-assembly.....It will probably be off center .....not sure if I worded this correctly , but I tried ?????..................Mike :thumbup:

Gray Ghost
03-03-2015, 06:26 AM
I did that, it was still way off. :(

In that case, make sure you stay hydrated, remove breakable objects from the near vicinity, and take breaks as necessary (good time to pick up any thrown tools).

SNOOPY
03-03-2015, 06:59 AM
I believe it only works if you drop the shock. Still tough but have to be high enough for the wheel to drop low enough. I tried it once but in the end had to adjust the tension anyway so just re-did it all...double check once you tighten the axle by rotating the wheel several times forward then back and the belt should not wander from side to side...:banghead:

I did have the shock disconnected.

Are you saying when putting the axle back in the swing arm should be lowered as far as possible? I think that makes it worse.

with the body lower and almost touching the tire, the axle alignment is the closest. Then pulling back on the tire gains you a touch more...but not quite enough to slide the axle back in.

I backed off the tensioner on the belt side 4 turns, inserted the axle, then turned that tensioner back 4 turns to exactly where it was.

Lamonts video says he did it without messing w the tensioners and I'm thinking this isn't possible on newer models, but don't know why? :dontknow:

bscrive
03-03-2015, 08:03 AM
I did my wife's old RS the way Lamont shows it done in the video and I didn't have any problems. I didn't even have to realign the belt. I am not sure what would be different with the swing arms on the ST's. I looked at my wife's STL and it looks the same as her RS except for the brake caliper.

SNOOPY
03-03-2015, 08:00 PM
I did my wife's old RS the way Lamont shows it done in the video and I didn't have any problems. I didn't even have to realign the belt. I am not sure what would be different with the swing arms on the ST's. I looked at my wife's STL and it looks the same as her RS except for the brake caliper.

Did it simply slip in?

I mean the axle.

Trying to figure out if something is different.

Did you have the bike completely lowered?

Have to pull the tire rearward excessively?

Trying to get more input on details?

bscrive
03-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Did it simply slip in?

I mean the axle. Yep. It just slipped in

Trying to figure out if something is different.

Did you have the bike completely lowered? Nope. I had the lower shock bolt off, the bike jacked up about 6"-8", and the wheel on the ground

Have to pull the tire rearward excessively? Nope. I put the belt on, then put in the axle and then lowered the bike until I could put the bolt back in the lower shock mount.

Trying to get more input on details?

See above

SNOOPY
03-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Thanks

Can you go ahead and do the STL and tell me if it as easy? roflmao

There must be something I'm missing here. :(

Magdave
03-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Put it on with the belt off and do the reverse of what you did to take it off. Install the belt once the wheel is on by lifting the bike up as high as possible put it in neutral and turn it on. :dontknow:

http://youtu.be/u_QV0WaRNVM

SNOOPY
03-03-2015, 09:45 PM
Put it on with the belt off and do the reverse of what you did to take it off. Install the belt once the wheel is on by lifting the bike up as high as possible put it in neutral and turn it on. :dontknow:

I'm trying to think if I took the belt off before pulling the axle or not.... can't remember. :(

I "think" I did....but it was really hard....I "think" it would be a bear to get it back on...

But, turning like you mention is a good idea!

"if" I attempt it next time I will have to try that out. :thumbup:

SNOOPY
03-04-2015, 08:42 PM
Tightened up the last things today and took it for a ride.

I forgot to push/set the belt exactly to measurements although I didn't change the tensioners, so it was off a bit.

I thought after riding it would find its spot again.

So i rode for 10 minutes and checked it...didn't move. :(

Rode another 10 minutes a little faster/a few more curvy roads (thinking that would help), didn't move. :(

Rode for another 10 minutes then backed it into the driveway...then noticed it found it's spot. :D

Now I wonder if it just needed to warm up that much or if maybe reversing it helped.