PDA

View Full Version : Front Spring Tensioners

AH-NO-1
03-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Has anyone tried the Spring Tensioners available through Roadster Renovations? If you have what was the difference that you had? Did you use one in each spring or did you use two in each spring.
One other question, this is the second time that I have posted something, and the original posting has a little green arrow is this something I need to remove, if so how do I do it. Thanks as you can see my knowledge using the computer is very limited, but it is getting better.

Chupaca
03-02-2015, 11:15 AM
but we have our sponsor here BajRon making some great spring stifeners. Check with him and his testing crew. Not sure about the arrow have not paid attention to it but you can't do anything about it...:thumbup:

Now that I looked that arrow indicates that you have posted to that thread or started that thread...

Dragonrider
03-02-2015, 11:35 AM
I have them, and used two on each side. Super easy to install (under 10 minutes start to finish), remove, or move - as needed. I haven't scraped my front tupperware since I installed them.

Baja Ron's will be much prettier, more expensive, and more difficult to install and adjust.

T2ride
03-02-2015, 12:08 PM
I have them, they do what they are designed for. I have 2 on each spring and can definitely tell the handling difference. Just to let you know I have the stock sway bar. For the price it ok, appearance quality lacks but I have them for performance and they work great.

Cruzr Joe
03-02-2015, 12:31 PM
I have them, and used two on each side. Super easy to install (under 10 minutes start to finish), remove, or move - as needed. I haven't scraped my front tupperware since I installed them.

Baja Ron's will be much prettier, more expensive, and more difficult to install and adjust.

Not sure about the price or install but the Shock Adjusters from BajaRon look like they come from the factory, and are very simple to adjust, i was a beta tester on them so i have some experience with them. I have no experience with the others so i won't comment on them. Dragonrider, have you tried BajaRons, and would you elaborate on why you think they are hard to adjust??

Cruzr Joe

UPDATE: I just viewed the video on the spring stiffeners and can tell you that BajaRons Shock Adjusters are much easier to adjust, not knocking the others, i have not tried them but just watching there video it is easy to see which one is easier to adjust.

jimnsusie
03-02-2015, 12:40 PM
I I am not sure what these are for. Is it to raise the spyder a little? Or the ride

Cruzr Joe
03-02-2015, 12:45 PM
I I am not sure what these are for. Is it to raise the spyder a little? Or the ride

It is to make the springs on the shocks tighter so that you will have less play in the front end. That's the best explanation i can give, others may explain it better.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
03-02-2015, 01:29 PM
I'm just waiting for Ron's... :bbq::bbq: :bbq: :thumbup:

Roadster Renovations
03-02-2015, 02:04 PM
I have them, they do what they are designed for. I have 2 on each spring and can definitely tell the handling difference. Just to let you know I have the stock sway bar. For the price it ok, appearance quality lacks but I have them for performance and they work great.
I appreciate the feedback of how the stiffeners performed without the sway bar upgrade. I purchased Ron's sway bar first and found it was not enough stiffness on curves and fabricated the spring stiffeners and added them. It is good to know that the stiffeners may be all that is required to correct the saggy front end.
About the look of the stiffeners. I concentrated more on the quality rather than the look. One suggestion is to place them higher up on the coil so that with the bike down and springs loaded, they aren't even visible.
From here on in if I have any inquires on the stiffeners I will suggest them first before the sway bar upgrade since that may be all that is needed.

Dragonrider
03-02-2015, 03:21 PM
I agree with the looks bit, but they are available now.

CJ - Doc's adjusters don't have an adjustment - just on/off, placement, and the number installed. Jack it up twist 'em on, drop it and ride. You get what you get, and they won't break the bank in cost.

Ron's require you remove the shocks, and hassle with the springs, then re-install, and adjust, like the older shocks. MUCH more upscale, expensive, and nicer looking.

So the choice is how much do I want to spend in cash and time to get the job done, and how much fine tuning do I want to do.

Personally, I needed the fix now, had a low cash threshold, and didn't want to spend a half a day installing them. Then I never wanted to touch them again. Finally, I run ATV shock covers on my RT, to assure the dirt and water stay out of them - so the visual impact is zero.

I don't think Ron's will be hard to adjust, I just don't want to - and if two up requires a bit more stiffening, another spacer is easy to add.

Just my view...

Cruzr Joe
03-02-2015, 03:26 PM
How are the shock covers working?? any downside to them?

Cruzr Joe

Dragonrider
03-02-2015, 03:57 PM
No issues at all. I started using them on my 2009 RS - put them on my 2010, and now on my 2014. 41,328 miles and the shocks on my 2009 & 2010 looked brand new, when I sold them.

Plus, you can change the color when you want to - white - black -red - camo, whatever rings your bell.

I do make a habit of changing them for new ones every 2nd year. The velcro can loosen, and they can get weathered. $15 or less per year is a cheap farkle.

ursamajor35126
03-02-2015, 04:01 PM
No issues at all. I started using them on my 2009 RS - put them on my 2010, and now on my 2014. 41,328 miles and the shocks on my 2009 & 2010 looked brand new, when I sold them.

Plus, you can change the color when you want to - white - black -red - camo, whatever rings your bell.

I do make a habit of changing them for new ones every 2nd year. The velcro can loosen, and they can get weathered. $15 or less per year is a cheap farkle.

Any particular brand of cover you recommend? :dontknow:

Cruzr Joe
03-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Any particular brand of cover you recommend? :dontknow:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Cruzr Joe

Dragonrider
03-02-2015, 04:39 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102980&stc=1No particular brand - most ATV shocks are the right size. Here's a pic of what I'm using right now..

Roadster Renovations
03-02-2015, 06:27 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102980&stc=1No particular brand - most ATV shocks are the right size. Here's a pic of what I'm using right now..

Hey, those are NICE! Give me a link and I will start including the link with our sales! I been thinking about a push-in cover made of plastic, but why make something this is working cost more? This is a pretty good alternative for those that don't like to expose the stiffeners.

Dragonrider
03-02-2015, 06:46 PM
Doc - these guys have a ton of different colors available: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181671763926?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

robmorg
03-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Doc,

Here is another option from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-715500301-Front-Shock-Cover/dp/B00BDJ8OMS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1425341372&sr=1-1&keywords=can+am+shock+covers)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wMqk0HBmL._AA160_.jpg

A couple of questions on your spacers, Doc....

Will they work fine with either the 2013 or 2014 RT, even though (I think) the shocks are a slightly different size?
Do you get four of them for the price listed on Amazon? The listing is not clear about that.

jimnsusie
03-02-2015, 10:43 PM
These tensioners sound ok but I already put on rons bar and it really made a difference for me.

CentralCoastCA
03-02-2015, 11:50 PM

i used these on my '08 GS and they worked great. Thanks for reminding me to get these for my RT.

Roadster Renovations
03-03-2015, 08:28 AM
Doc,

Here is another option from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-715500301-Front-Shock-Cover/dp/B00BDJ8OMS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1425341372&sr=1-1&keywords=can+am+shock+covers)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wMqk0HBmL._AA160_.jpg

A couple of questions on your spacers, Doc....

Will they work fine with either the 2013 or 2014 RT, even though (I think) the shocks are a slightly different size?
Do you get four of them for the price listed on Amazon? The listing is not clear about that.

I have tested them on a 13 RT and they worked fine. The diameter of the coil is slightly smaller and has an extra coil. I can hunt the thread where we posted that info if you want. Yes, that is 4 complete stiffeners (thanks for pointing the listing out I will change it) That will cover both A and B positions. Most everyone sets theirs on B.

Dragonrider
03-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Occasionally, you can find a listing for two covers, most come with three (ATVs) - so two sets = 6 yrs of covers... or $52 for 6 yrs...

Bluehole
03-03-2015, 11:30 AM
It is to make the springs on the shocks tighter so that you will have less play in the front end. That's the best explanation i can give, others may explain it better.

Cruzr Joe

Ron's adjusters apply equal force to the entire spring. This allows for better soaking up of small irregularities in the road. It also decreases the amount of lean thus making the trike feel more "planted" to the road. The term-being on a rail-applies very well when taking corners at a high rate of speed. A piece from one of my test runs:

"Found out a few things I wanted to know. We have BIG log trucks up this way and I, for one, have not enjoyed meeting them heading in the opposite direction that I am traveling!!! They tend to push everything out of their way with the air they are moving. I met a convoy of 5 of them on Hwy 101 moving at a pretty fair clip and to my surprise---the Spyder flinched ever so slightly but maintained course and speed nicely! Just to prove a point---I met up with another convoy of 3 about 3 miles further down the road and got the same results. OK, another question answered. Another question I was having---how does the Spyder handle in tight high speed corning?? Some history is in order. After first receiving my Spyder and not liking the handling, a quick search on SpyderLovers.com told me to get your sway bar and a laser alignment. That being done, I noticed something I call “snap to attention” coming out of tight turns. That is the point at which you are just starting to exit the apex of a turn and drift back to the outside. With almost no effort the Spyder would straighten the wheels/handlebars and assume an upright posture in an instant. To me, it was a feeling of total control and oneness with the machine! I lost that when all new tires where installed due to the alignment not being set properly. After much fiddling with said alignment, I got it back real close but not perfect. Wednesday’s ride proved that I got far closer than I thought. The “snap to attention” action was back!! The rest of the ride was all about control and stability, both of which were on full display. I traveled over primary and secondary 2 lane roads as well as a 4 lane divided highway. Speeds ranged from 50 to 70 mph. I covered a 200 mile round robin from my house in a little over 3 ½ hours. There was nothing that I could find wrong or objectionable to a setting of 4 turns on the adjusters. They smoothed out every kind of road I was on. They made the ride more comfortable & stable while not being too harsh. It was all miles of smiles!!!"

For reference, I am 6' 7" tall and weigh in at 210#. I feel that the combination of sway bar and spring adjusters is best for my style of riding. Your mileage may vary;);)

robmorg
03-03-2015, 12:09 PM
I have tested them on a 13 RT and they worked fine. The diameter of the coil is slightly smaller and has an extra coil. I can hunt the thread where we posted that info if you want. Yes, that is 4 complete stiffeners (thanks for pointing the listing out I will change it) That will cover both A and B positions. Most everyone sets theirs on B.Thanks, Doc. That's what I figured. I remember the thread, but didn't remember the outcome. I thought it was easier to just ask you, than look up the thread. ;)

Also, two stiffeners on opposite sides of each spring (Position B) would seem to make the most sense to me, offering the best all-around advantage, without making the springs too stiff. You might sell a few more of these after updating that listing. :D

robmorg
03-03-2015, 12:15 PM
Bob,

Thanks for re-posting that explanation here. Ton's of useful information about things I was wondering about as well. :thumbup: I'm "only" 6' 3", but a good bit heavier than you :opps:, so while the bigger sway bar was a GREAT help to me, my Spyder's front end needs some additional tweaking.

In response to jimnsusie's post above, the sway bar and the spring stiffeners/adjusters, really serve related, but different, purposes. For many folks, both enhancements together will improve the ride more than either used alone. Really depends on your size and riding style.

Roadster Renovations
03-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Ron's adjusters apply equal force to the entire spring. This allows for better soaking up of small irregularities in the road. It also decreases the amount of lean thus making the trike feel more "planted" to the road. The term-being on a rail-applies very well when taking corners at a high rate of speed. A piece from one of my test runs:

"Found out a few things I wanted to know. We have BIG log trucks up this way and I, for one, have not enjoyed meeting them heading in the opposite direction that I am traveling!!! They tend to push everything out of their way with the air they are moving. I met a convoy of 5 of them on Hwy 101 moving at a pretty fair clip and to my surprise---the Spyder flinched ever so slightly but maintained course and speed nicely! Just to prove a point---I met up with another convoy of 3 about 3 miles further down the road and got the same results. OK, another question answered. Another question I was having---how does the Spyder handle in tight high speed corning?? Some history is in order. After first receiving my Spyder and not liking the handling, a quick search on SpyderLovers.com told me to get your sway bar and a laser alignment. That being done, I noticed something I call “snap to attention” coming out of tight turns. That is the point at which you are just starting to exit the apex of a turn and drift back to the outside. With almost no effort the Spyder would straighten the wheels/handlebars and assume an upright posture in an instant. To me, it was a feeling of total control and oneness with the machine! I lost that when all new tires where installed due to the alignment not being set properly. After much fiddling with said alignment, I got it back real close but not perfect. Wednesday’s ride proved that I got far closer than I thought. The “snap to attention” action was back!! The rest of the ride was all about control and stability, both of which were on full display. I traveled over primary and secondary 2 lane roads as well as a 4 lane divided highway. Speeds ranged from 50 to 70 mph. I covered a 200 mile round robin from my house in a little over 3 ½ hours. There was nothing that I could find wrong or objectionable to a setting of 4 turns on the adjusters. They smoothed out every kind of road I was on. They made the ride more comfortable & stable while not being too harsh. It was all miles of smiles!!!"

For reference, I am 6' 7" tall and weigh in at 210#. I feel that the combination of sway bar and spring adjusters is best for my style of riding. Your mileage may vary;);)

I have one question that I would like to ask. Not saying that my product is better or worse than Rons. Just want to know what the plan would be in this case. So here goes:
What happens when someone is 5 States away from home on vacation and they have a problem that needs addressed at a strange dealer that refuses to work on the bike because of the aftermarket parts on it? Not many people will want to carry the tools with them to remove the shocks to uninstall he aftermarket parts so the bike can be worked on. Now this might sound far-fetched for some, but I have read numerous threads where dealers have balked with aftermarket belt tensioners, car tires, etc.. I am not saying this would ever happen, but if it did, who is going to foot the cost to do this? My spring stiffeners can be removed with a small 19mm wrench without even having to jack up the wheel. I made them specifically that way to avoid someone having trouble getting needed repairs. Just pull them off and stow them for when you get home. Then you can re-install. Or even borrow a local garage jack for 10 minutes and you are on your way. Perhaps it would not matter, as I know many people have put new aftermarket Elkas, etc. and haven't had any issues with getting repairs done. But the thought did occur to me when first coming up with these and I did not want to get trapped into that particular corner with a customer stranded somewhere.

Cruzr Joe
03-03-2015, 09:43 PM
I have one question that I would like to ask. Not saying that my product is better or worse than Rons. Just want to know what the plan would be in this case. So here goes:
What happens when someone is 5 States away from home on vacation and they have a problem that needs addressed at a strange dealer that refuses to work on the bike because of the aftermarket parts on it? Not many people will want to carry the tools with them to remove the shocks to uninstall he aftermarket parts so the bike can be worked on. Now this might sound far-fetched for some, but I have read numerous threads where dealers have balked with aftermarket belt tensioners, car tires, etc.. I am not saying this would ever happen, but if it did, who is going to foot the cost to do this? My spring stiffeners can be removed with a small 19mm wrench without even having to jack up the wheel. I made them specifically that way to avoid someone having trouble getting needed repairs. Just pull them off and stow them for when you get home. Then you can re-install. Or even borrow a local garage jack for 10 minutes and you are on your way. Perhaps it would not matter, as I know many people have put new aftermarket Elkas, etc. and haven't had any issues with getting repairs done. But the thought did occur to me when first coming up with these and I did not want to get trapped into that particular corner with a customer stranded somewhere.

With all the mods i have on my Spyder ............................... they won't even notice some shock adjusters. (Doc, I think that is a reach)

Cruzr Joe

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-04-2015, 12:47 AM

:dontknow:......Doc I also have a Question out of the 50,000 + Spyders sold so far what percentage do you think are 100 % STOCK........My guess is not more than 25 %( probably less ).............just a thought...................Mike :thumbup:

Roadster Renovations
03-04-2015, 02:55 AM
Yeah, you guys are right. Probably never happen....

Dragonrider
03-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Doc;

Your competitive advantages are:

Super easy to install, move, & remove, and;
Available now.

Disadvantages are:

limited adjustability (vs a long screw adjuster)
Not particularly attractive

Personally, I would use shock covers with either option (used them with the Works shocks on my 2010), and I have never had anyone walk up and comment on my shocks/suspension, or other exposed hardware. It's always "does it lean?", "is it comfortable"... etc.

Today, I have Ron's sway bar and your "adjusters" - my RT corners far better than stock, and my lower tupperware no longer scrapes on dodgy roads. The combination is perfect for my RT and my 295# 6'4" old body...

I think it's terrific for us to have farkle choices, especially those that work so well.

Roadster Renovations
03-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but since some folks don't like the "looks" of our Stiffeners, I got to ask for some help on that. Other than covering them or hiding them higher up on the spring, what are some of the things that could be done to make them better?

I had even thought of little Spider caps to fit over them. Plastic would be pretty easy. Metal could be built on bolts and threaded into the top nut to name a few. Of course anything more we do will raise the price some. I am open to all suggestions.

Dragonrider
03-05-2015, 01:44 AM
Doc;

Bead polish (just to smooth the surface) and powder coat them. The plain black is good and unobtrusive.

Roadster Renovations
03-05-2015, 06:26 AM
Doc;

Bead polish (just to smooth the surface) and powder coat them. The plain black is good and unobtrusive.

I'll check it out! Thanks!!

jwood4242
03-19-2015, 02:40 PM
I appreciate the feedback of how the stiffeners performed without the sway bar upgrade. I purchased Ron's sway bar first and found it was not enough stiffness on curves and fabricated the spring stiffeners and added them. It is good to know that the stiffeners may be all that is required to correct the saggy front end.
About the look of the stiffeners. I concentrated more on the quality rather than the look. One suggestion is to place them higher up on the coil so that with the bike down and springs loaded, they aren't even visible.
From here on in if I have any inquires on the stiffeners I will suggest them first before the sway bar upgrade since that may be all that is needed.

I purchased my 2014 Spyder RS new a few weeks ago and haven't been able to ride much d/t snow, rain, cold etc. I have only 420 miles on it after having ridden 2 wheelers for several decades. I have struggled as many others have with handling and stability of my Spyder. I'm sure it is getting better and will continue to improve as I log some real miles. I would describe my feeling as one of disassociation with the bike or not feeling as one with it.

I saw your spring stiffeners and thought I would give them a try. Just rode 20 miles after installing the product. I know that's not much time to evaluate them but I noticed so much improvement that I just had to let you know. I rode the wobbliest, curviest road I've been on and can say without doubt that your product made a huge improvement. Thank you so much. FYI: the appearance of them is not an issue with me but the spider idea is a very good one.

Roadster Renovations
03-19-2015, 03:38 PM
Glad that they worked well for you! We are now using sand blasting and powder coating to improve the cosmetics of them! I am looking for some rubber spyder "caps" that would fit on the outer nut. That would look pretty cool!

TexAmRider
07-13-2015, 10:28 PM

I can't say enough about the Docs spring stiffeners. I had enough time to install 1 on each side While out for a ride I picked up the delivery of the stiffeners, at the post office, went home and installed them. Took about 5 minutes. Thought I would try 1 first and see how much difference they made. So I have a 2014 RTL all stock. OH my Gosh. A world of difference. I was getting the front end dipping just letting off the gas without them. None now and even when putting on the brakes the dipping is greatly decreased, not to mention the sway when turning, so much improvement I,m beside myself. My wife gripped because I was cornering to fast. The last test, I hit the interstate and pulled on right behind an 18 wheeler. Wow no wind buffering. More on me than what I felt on the bike. So I slow down and wait for an 18 wheeler to pass me. Again smooth sailing, no sway nor swerve. Again more wind effect on me than the spyder. Just 1 on each side. I guess next I'll have to try putting on 2, but for now, I'm better than good with the improvement. Thanks Doc. :yes::yes::f_spider::yes::yes: