PDA

View Full Version : checking cooling

lmadsen
03-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Does anyone else have trouble seeing the level of your radiator coolant. I thought I had been smelling hot coolant after a ride so I decided to check the coolant level. The problem is I was unable to determine if I had coolant in the tank because of where the tank is located and the color of the coolant. I eventually put a small wire thru the cap to determine fluid level. I did have fluid but still can not see the line of fluid thru the tank.

lmadsen

Chupaca
03-02-2015, 10:34 AM
some models are easier to check this level than others. I have found the best way is to shake the roadster so the fluid sways from side to side. Other find if you shine a strong ligh from behind but never tried that...:thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
03-02-2015, 11:04 AM
It also helps if you can shine a bright light behind the container while you check the level from the front. Might need a helper for this.

M109Dreamer
03-02-2015, 11:32 AM
I use a small 2 "AA" maglight and push the light up against the resevoir and it will glow making it easier to see the coolant level.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Does anyone else have trouble seeing the level of your radiator coolant. I thought I had been smelling hot coolant after a ride so I decided to check the coolant level. The problem is I was unable to determine if I had coolant in the tank because of where the tank is located and the color of the coolant. I eventually put a small wire thru the cap to determine fluid level. I did have fluid but still can not see the line of fluid thru the tank.

lmadsen
When you say " you put a small wire THRU the cap "...........If you somehow have altered the seal of the cap and the tank is no longer pressurized, IMHO the system is no longer going to work properly................ALL systems of this type need to be pressurized to work................Mike :thumbup:

lmadsen
03-02-2015, 01:37 PM
When you say " you put a small wire THRU the cap "...........If you somehow have altered the seal of the cap and the tank is no longer pressurized, IMHO the system is no longer going to work properly................ALL systems of this type need to be pressurized to work................Mike :thumbup:
No I did not alter the cap I simply took the cap off in order to insert the small wire.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-02-2015, 02:03 PM
No I did not alter the cap I simply took the cap off in order to insert the small wire.

:yes::yes::yes:......I'm glad you did it this way, however IMHO getting the cap on and off on the Spyders is not an easy thing and should be avoided......If you don't get it on tight there won't be a pressure seal and it will boil over rather quickly........also if you cross thread it and RUIN the bottle , I'll bet it's at least $ 75 if not more.....I would try the flashlite thing.........Mike :thumbup:

Spyda98
03-03-2015, 08:50 AM
I just take off the right side panel and the right side upper panel. That way you can see the exact level of the coolant. Takes less than 2 mins to take off a couple of screws.