PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hitch & Wiring Questions

AH-NO-1
02-28-2015, 11:00 AM
I am looking a purchasing a Trailer. I own a 2013 RT Limited, I need to know what is the height of the hitch w/ the ball installed, and is there a plug n play for a 4-flat auto plug that is hooked up in the back area, that does not run all the way from the battery. If there is not a plug and play, can the needed power be picked up directly from the wires leading to the running, brake and stop lights. I would cut and solder these connections Any information and help will be a great help thanks in advance for your time Dave

ABQSpyder
02-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Not sure of anything your asking. Don't understand battery connection? Since this is your first post have you done any searching on subject?

Cruzr Joe
02-28-2015, 12:44 PM
There is a plug and play that does not need to go to the battery, it is the BRP setup, the aftermarket setup needs to go to the battery. The height from the ground to the top of the ball on the hitch is 15 ".

Cruzr Joe

billybovine
02-28-2015, 01:05 PM
I have not found a plug and play aftermarket harness. There is a dedicated, 10 amp fused powerline in the CIC2 connector for powering an isolated converter. If you want to go plug and play you can buy as a part the BRP Y-connector and build your harness from there. Waswinger has the part number in one of his threads. I build my own harness plug and play by buying the Delphi GT 150 connectors.

ridesilver2009
02-28-2015, 01:13 PM
I am looking a purchasing a Trailer. I own a 2013 RT Limited, I need to know what is the height of the hitch w/ the ball installed, and is there a plug n play for a 4-flat auto plug that is hooked up in the back area, that does not run all the way from the battery. If there is not a plug and play, can the needed power be picked up directly from the wires leading to the running, brake and stop lights. I would cut and solder these connections Any information and help will be a great help thanks in advance for your time Dave
Do NOT splice wires on any vehicle with CAN BUS ! Purchase a Show Chrome/Electrical Connection or equivalent Plug & Play that draws the trailer lighting juice from the battery. Have used this type of setup on Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/Can Am GS for many years. NO Problems. These units have proven track records. I have a Can Am factory harness on my '12 RT-S and will never do that again.
Nuff said. Use a factory Can Am hitch, tho. Good Luck

IGETAROUND
02-28-2015, 03:59 PM
for the RT's as previously mentioned the Show Chrome has a plug and play for the RT. The hitch they sell is exactly like the factory item. Just picked one up for my RS for $207.00 with shipping. Harness is ~ $80.00 additional. :thumbup:

Dragonfly
02-28-2015, 07:10 PM
for the RT's as previously mentioned the Show Chrome has a plug and play for the RT. The hitch they sell is exactly like the factory item. Just picked one up for my RS for $207.00 with shipping. Harness is ~ $80.00 additional. :thumbup:

I have the BRP approved hitch and wiring harness and neither are just like the Show Chrome per illustration.

IGETAROUND
02-28-2015, 09:18 PM
I have the BRP approved hitch and wiring harness and neither are just like the Show Chrome per illustration.
:opps:
Ok, Ill bite; what is different between the two??? :opps:

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-28-2015, 09:34 PM
:opps:
Ok, Ill bite; what is different between the two??? :opps:
Functionally the hitch is the same and installs in the same manner. Actual configuration is slightly different. The BRP harness plugs into the main harness under the seat where it gets all the light signals and 12 volt power and ground. The SC harness plugs into the individual taillight assemblies and connects directly to the battery for 12 volt power and ground.

You can see how I used the BRP Y-harness to plug into the bike harness and from there went to an isolator and the trailer plug.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64757-How-I-wired-up-a-5-wire-trailer-harness-plus-other-lights-Part-1