PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio

TmanOK
02-27-2015, 01:50 PM
Has anyone installed satellite radio on their RT Limited?

If so, what did it entail?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cruzr Joe
02-27-2015, 01:55 PM

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

bcoulter19
02-27-2015, 02:48 PM
unless your going to be traveling a lot where there is no cellular signal or you don't carry a cellular phone, why not just use your cell phone as your Radio. There are lots of apps availabe like Iheart Radio or tun in radion and between those 2 alone you can probably get any station you listen to on a daily basis, Then just bluetooth your cell phopne to your helmet and you don't have the $15 a month that sirius is going to charge you for your radio serivce. thats just another suggestion I hope you don't mind.

Bill C.

jaherbst
02-27-2015, 04:25 PM

Yes. Swapped out my Garmin 660 that was standard equip. on the Limited for my Garmin 665 GPS. XM,WX and traffic.

Jack

TmanOK
02-27-2015, 04:27 PM
Jack,

The Garmin 665 has a built-in satellite radio?

2ndChildhood
02-27-2015, 05:06 PM
I just did my. I will PM you.

It works great!

ToM
SpyderFest '15

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

latony007
02-27-2015, 07:19 PM
unless your going to be traveling a lot where there is no cellular signal or you don't carry a cellular phone, why not just use your cell phone as your Radio. There are lots of apps availabe like Iheart Radio or tun in radion and between those 2 alone you can probably get any station you listen to on a daily basis, Then just bluetooth your cell phopne to your helmet and you don't have the $15 a month that sirius is going to charge you for your radio serivce. thats just another suggestion I hope you don't mind.

Bill C.

Actually there is a phone app for Sirius/xm so you could bluetooth it to your helmet with no cost an no installation etc. In fact you could buy a bluetooth helmet for less than installing a unit probably. I know that wasnt exactly what you wanted but i do this with my satelite so thought i would share it.

2ndChildhood
02-27-2015, 07:52 PM
The XM radio cost $29.00. My local Radio Shack is running a close out special on the same radio for $9.95 after a $50.00 mail in rebate. I bought extra docking station so I can move the radio from the Spyder, to the Truck, to my boat and to the garage/house.

ToM
SpyderFest '15

2ndChildhood
02-27-2015, 07:57 PM
Here's a picture of how I mounted it on the Spyder.

ToM
SpyderFest '15

OJ UK
02-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Nice installation! :2thumbs: No duct tape!! :roflblack: I wouldn't be able to do that as well as you have!

Bam Bam and Pebbles
02-27-2015, 09:02 PM

Bill C.

I do the same thing. Works great for me. Plus, I don't know how anybody can hear anything on the radio while you are riding.

2ndChildhood
02-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Nice installation! :2thumbs: No duct tape!! :roflblack: I wouldn't be able to do that as well as you have!

When I do modifications to my bike I'd like to do it where I can remove it without doing damage to the bike.

The trick was running the wires without drilling holes that shows

See you at SpyderFest, Best Western with Cruzr Joe also.

ToM
SpyderFest '15

stevedfive
02-27-2015, 10:26 PM
I installed the BRP XM radio on mine a few weeks ago. It was easy, as long as you already have the entertainment harness, which I did.

coastrider
02-28-2015, 12:06 AM
My dealer offered to move my XM from my 2013 to my new 2014 RT for free. After doing the swap, they discovered the harness had changed, even though BRP had confirmed it was the same, and they needed a new harness and some other bits and pieces. Long story short, they had two bikes with all the panels off, a delivery delay, unexpected labor costs to negotiate with me, and a poor start with a new customer. Point is, the install wasn't all that easy, but the radio works as it should. My old Gold Wing had aftermarket XM installed by me at a fraction of the coat, just a plug and play affair. BRP has dragged their feet in going to th Zumo 665 with built in XM. They do everything the hard way.

jaherbst
02-28-2015, 12:20 AM
Jack,

The Garmin 665 has a built-in satellite radio?

Yes. You need to purchase the xm40 antennae and swap only the top part of the cradle with the top part of the 665 cradle.

You can bluetooth or direct plug.

Javk

jaherbst
02-28-2015, 12:29 AM
My dealer offered to move my XM from my 2013 to my new 2014 RT for free. After doing the swap, they discovered the harness had changed, even though BRP had confirmed it was the same, and they needed a new harness and some other bits and pieces. Long story short, they had two bikes with all the panels off, a delivery delay, unexpected labor costs to negotiate with me, and a poor start with a new customer. Point is, the install wasn't all that easy, but the radio works as it should. My old Gold Wing had aftermarket XM installed by me at a fraction of the coat, just a plug and play affair. BRP has dragged their feet in going to th Zumo 665 with built in XM. They do everything the hard way.

The harness for the 660 and 665 are exactly the same part number and all. There is also a plug in for the xm-40 antennae on the harness. You need to swap the top part of the 660 cradle with the top of the 665 cradle. 7 small screws and two small board plug ins. Less than 10 minutes.

Pins are different. I get XM, WX, Traffic and real time satellite weather and warnings. You need a sirius xm subscription to receive these features.

Jack