PDA

View Full Version : ALARM SYSTEM:

Big F
02-27-2015, 11:35 AM
I posted an inquiry recently and received no responses?? was just wondering if any Spyder owners have an alarm system on their bike? we all park outside of our hotels in strange communities and don't have a clue on the crime in that area.
was wondering what a reasonably priced alarm costs and what brand? thanks/
THE BIG F

Cruzr Joe
02-27-2015, 12:04 PM
I posted an inquiry recently and received no responses?? was just wondering if any Spyder owners have an alarm system on their bike? we all park outside of our hotels in strange communities and don't have a clue on the crime in that area.
THE BIG F

We could tell you about our alarms ........................................... But .....................................Then we would have to shoot you. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Anonymous

Chupaca
02-27-2015, 12:32 PM
not familiar with the brands, I avoid unprotected parking lots, but most have the perimeter type to avoid the photo op people...honestly have never seen a post on stolen spyder. If you google bike alarms they will pop up and a search here should net a few as well...:thumbup:

cuznjohn
02-27-2015, 01:27 PM
there was one post if i remember from a member in ohio i think http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?62203-Stolen-Spyder-in-Ohio&highlight=stolen+bike

pitzerwm
02-27-2015, 01:30 PM
Put Alarm in search, there are a few, also put motorcycle alarm in Ebay. I'm thinking of the prox kinds.

ARtraveler
02-27-2015, 02:58 PM
Happy to say, we do not see a lot of stolen :spyder2:'s.

One of the reasons, perhaps the thieves are so dumb that they cannot figure out how to start them. :roflblack:

No place in Alaska that I would be afraid to leave my :spyder2: parked overnight. If I am in a "bigger" city, I try to park in the light, near my room, etc. The one time I put myself in jeopardy, it worked out all right. Left the key in the 2009 overnight at a big motel in Fairbanks AK. We were parked in the front row of the parking lot side by side. I forgot to pull the key. Next morning, they were still there.

Sorry, but cannot give any specific advice about an alarm system.

Spyda98
02-27-2015, 03:32 PM
THE BIG F

I have read of people successfully putting the Scorpio sr-i900 on their can spyders. If you Google Scorpio sr-i900 and Can-am Spyder then you should see some reviews and also check this spyder lovers thread out http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?6358-Alarm-Question.

Since the Spyder and I will be traveling unknown places this spring/summer.. the Scorpio alarm is definitely the next mod on my list.

wyliec
02-27-2015, 03:59 PM
I've had a Gorilla alarm installed for a number of years. It has a number of sensitivity settings, and the alarm model I have can be ordered with an accessory FOB to let you know that the alarm has been initiated. The instructions are easy to follow.

Netminder
02-27-2015, 04:17 PM
I have read of people successfully putting the Scorpio sr-i900 on their can spyders. If you Google Scorpio sr-i900 and Can-am Spyder then you should see some reviews and also check this spyder lovers thread out http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?6358-Alarm-Question.

Since the Spyder and I will be traveling unknown places this spring/summer.. the Scorpio alarm is definitely the next mod on my list.
This is what I use, it is a little pricey 300-400 canadian, but I figure the Spyder was a big investment so it is worth the price!

Eagle1
02-27-2015, 04:33 PM
I have nady ma200, alarm and pager cost about $100. Works great.

Big F
02-27-2015, 05:02 PM
We could tell you about our alarms ........................................... But .....................................Then we would have to shoot you. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Anonymous

Oh, yu r such a funny guy! Looking forward to Spyderfest at the BW.
BIG F

PMK
02-27-2015, 05:15 PM
I bought a Spy 5000M for our Spyder. Rather than cut into the oem harness and so forth, I made the unit modular inside a plastic box that sits at the bottom of the rear trunk.

The instructions and wiring diagram are crap.

I have not perfected the wiring or triggers yet, but suspect I need one wire from the key hot to make it work correctly.

So if you are looking at a Spy 5000, do some homework. If I can't get this sorted as I want, I will buy something else.

PK

Cruzr Joe
02-27-2015, 05:24 PM
Oh, yu r such a funny guy! Looking forward to Spyderfest at the BW.
BIG F

:roflblack::roflblack:, We are gonna have a good time. :yes::yes::yes: :ohyea::ohyea::ohyea: :bbq::bbq::bbq: :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Cruzr Joe

spyder-dude
02-27-2015, 05:33 PM
I had one of the Scorpio sr-i900 on my first 2008 Spyder RS. It was good and piece of mind but it is sitting in a box of stuff when I pulled it off before trading in that spyder. Since then I am on my 4th spyder and never put one back on it. In most cases when I am traveling it is usually with a couple of other spyders parked at the hotel and we usually park close together in a lighted parking lot and never had any issues.

MikeinGA
02-27-2015, 07:26 PM
THE BIG F

I bought a cheep one and installed it in about 1 Hr. It works good and is a great way to keep people off my Spyder. I got mine on Amazon.com. Just key in motorcycle alarm.

Mike

stevedfive
02-27-2015, 10:30 PM
I have the i900 Scorpio alarm with the perimeter sensor. I installed myself.

http://ridescorpio.com/secure/

RockyMountainRider50
02-27-2015, 10:36 PM
THE BIG F
Hey there!
I'm Brock and wanted to suggest the Spy 5000 (off of Ebay). I felt it was a simple install project for my first alarm installation. Come complete with wire connectors tappers, (but used positap from a previous project) two digital key fobs, no batteries, adhesive pads on the alarm, antenna, microwave/proximity sensor and computer brain. Didn't use the remote start or shutoff function. Removed those wires after install. Video on youtube (RockyMountainRyder). Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck..

SpyderAnn01
02-27-2015, 10:47 PM
Joe (CptJAM) installed a Gorilla alarm on a freind's RT but the friend has never set the alarm.

miltonb
02-27-2015, 10:57 PM
THE BIG F go to spyder tv look up blak spyder interview from spyder quest 2014 in ny. it might help :pray: deer hunter on spydertv.net on page 4 interview with antwoin brown at bottom of page.

finless
03-02-2015, 11:58 AM
SPY 5000 here myself.
Make sure you get the one with the "microwave" antenna as not all of them come with that.

Install was pretty easy. I installed the entire thing under the left hand passenger grip area. Plenty of room there.

I put the remote control antenna and ran it up the passenger backrest and mounted it on the top of the backrest mount under the trunk lid. This gets it up high and antenna range is excellent. I have been a shopping malls and still had reception from the parking lot.

I put the microwave sensor under the seat just behind the gas cap area. This give you sensing for anyone entering the Y.

You need to hook a minimum of 3 wires.
Negative to battery
Positive to battery
A switched 12V so the alarm knows the key is on or off. I hooked that to the riding lights.
Then if you want the flashers (turn signals) to flash with the alarm, you hook up the 2 yellow wires. One to the left rear turn signal and one to the right. You do not have to hook those up but it's pretty easy so I recommend it.

If you want some help let me know and I will shoot a video of my installation and tips.

Bob

RockyMountainRider50
03-14-2015, 10:09 AM
Bob, it's Brock. You've given me guidance in the past. Wanted to ask if your system (Spy 5000) automatically armed itself after shutting down and removing the key? Or have you figured that out?

RockyMountainRyder

finless
03-14-2015, 10:20 AM
Bob, it's Brock. You've given me guidance in the past. Wanted to ask if your system (Spy 5000) automatically armed itself after shutting down and removing the key? Or have you figured that out?

RockyMountainRyder

By using the remote and pressing buttons per the instructions, you can make it auto arm itself (which is default if you change nothing) when the key is turned off or not.
I have mine set to not auto arm as I do not use the alarm every time.

However what you cannot turn off is the 3 chirps when the key is shut off.
These chirps tell you it is not armed and to arm it. So it's a warning you cannot turn off.

Bob

vided
03-14-2015, 10:33 AM
the model fido works well :thumbup::roflblack:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=103558&stc=1

PMK
03-14-2015, 10:38 AM
SPY 5000 here myself.
Make sure you get the one with the "microwave" antenna as not all of them come with that.

Install was pretty easy. I installed the entire thing under the left hand passenger grip area. Plenty of room there.

I put the remote control antenna and ran it up the passenger backrest and mounted it on the top of the backrest mount under the trunk lid. This gets it up high and antenna range is excellent. I have been a shopping malls and still had reception from the parking lot.

I put the microwave sensor under the seat just behind the gas cap area. This give you sensing for anyone entering the Y.

You need to hook a minimum of 3 wires.
Negative to battery
Positive to battery
A switched 12V so the alarm knows the key is on or off. I hooked that to the riding lights.
Then if you want the flashers (turn signals) to flash with the alarm, you hook up the 2 yellow wires. One to the left rear turn signal and one to the right. You do not have to hook those up but it's pretty easy so I recommend it.

If you want some help let me know and I will shoot a video of my installation and tips.

Bob

Now you have me thinking...I was trying to use the now always hot 12v in the trunk to run the alarm, but it would not see power on with key.

So I need to make a choice, no Battery Minder into the 12v trunk outlet, or find another switched power.

Does the 14 RTs have a switched power that is "studded" rather splice into a wire? I ask since here in FL with the rain and wet, I am always hesitant to expose a bare wire if possible.

PK

finless
03-14-2015, 10:45 AM
Now you have me thinking...I was trying to use the now always hot 12v in the trunk to run the alarm, but it would not see power on with key.

So I need to make a choice, no Battery Minder into the 12v trunk outlet, or find another switched power.

Does the 14 RTs have a switched power that is "studded" rather splice into a wire? I ask since here in FL with the rain and wet, I am always hesitant to expose a bare wire if possible.

PK

I cannot answer that BUT what I did is tap into the wires for the riding lights (as a switched 12V) under the left hand passenger hand grip not at the lights themselves.
I also did it here for the left and right turn signals.
This is where the big connector is that plugs all lights on the rear end of the spyder to the main harness.
I removed the cover to the lights and looked at the wire colors for riding and turn signals.
Then under the passenger hand grip cover, I tapped into those wires there right at the main connector using posi-taps.
If you are concerned about water and corrosion then you can use finger nail polish or get a can of liquid electrical tape, and seal them off.

Bob

finless
03-14-2015, 10:49 AM
PMK, another thought since it sounds like you hooked it up in the Frunk, look at the fuse block and see if you can tap in at a fuse for switched 12V.
Get a volt meter and probe for a switched 12v and then tap on to the fuse wire stud itself.

Bob

finless
03-14-2015, 11:08 AM

RockyMountainRyder

Brock, FYI.... I watched your video and see you did not hook up the switched 12V wire (Brown).
If you do not do this, it will auto ARM or No Auto ARM because the unit has no way to know you turned the key off.

If you leave the brown wire unhooked and you have auto ARM setting on then it has no way to know you turned the key on and thus will keep auto ARMing (it thinks the key is off).
If you hook the brown wire it to always on 12V, then it will never auto ARM as it does not know the key is turned off.

So to have auto ARMing, hooking the brown wire to switched 12V is a must.

Bob

billybovine
03-14-2015, 11:27 AM
I cannot answer that BUT what I did is tap into the wires for the riding lights (as a switched 12V) under the left hand passenger hand grip not at the lights themselves.
I also did it here for the left and right turn signals.
This is where the big connector is that plugs all lights on the rear end of the spyder to the main harness.
I removed the cover to the lights and looked at the wire colors for riding and turn signals.
Then under the passenger hand grip cover, I tapped into those wires there right at the main connector using posi-taps.
If you are concerned about water and corrosion then you can use finger nail polish or get a can of liquid electrical tape, and seal them off.

Bob

It sounds like you tapped in near the connector CIC2 where BRP taps in for the trailer harness. It should be easy enough to make a Y harness and that gives you access to most of what's needed. Running lights for switched power. Turn signals. 10 amp unswitched power source. Ground. Just need a male and female Delphi GT 150 10 pin connector plus the bits to make a watertight harness.

billybovine
03-14-2015, 11:30 AM
PMK, another thought since it sounds like you hooked it up in the Frunk, look at the fuse block and see if you can tap in at a fuse for switched 12V.
Get a volt meter and probe for a switched 12v and then tap on to the fuse wire stud itself.

Bob

I would not tap into the fuse box on 2013 or later models. The fuse box location behind the front trunk is exposed to a lot of water.

finless
03-14-2015, 11:52 AM
It sounds like you tapped in near the connector CIC2 where BRP taps in for the trailer harness. It should be easy enough to make a Y harness and that gives you access to most of what's needed. Running lights for switched power. Turn signals. 10 amp unswitched power source. Ground. Just need a male and female Delphi GT 150 10 pin connector plus the bits to make a watertight harness.

Yes this is where I tapped in.

So yea if you wanted a "Pro" install, making a Y harness would be good. Just remember when you order the connectors to also order the water proof pin blocks. You need two kinds that come with those. The green ones to block off unused pin holes on BOTH sides of the connector, and the round orange ones that go on the wires to water proof the used pins.

It's kind of a pain in the rear though. If you look on Mouser Electronics, you can only order the Delphi pins in rolls of several hundred. They do not offer those pins in 1 off quantities. This is why for the Bluetooth dongle cable we have to use another pin style as those are available in single quantities as the correct Delphi pins you can only get in large quantities.

So just an idea, if there are enough people that want a easy install harness for the SPY 5000m and are willing to order the parts, I will make cables for free just like I do for the Bluetooth dongle :)
The first person to want a Y cable would spend the most because they would order the pins in quantity which then can be used for additional Y cables.

Bob

PMK
03-14-2015, 06:56 PM

Bob

Actually, I need to post a photo of what I did. The alarm is self contained inside a tupperware style plastic tub with lid. The entire setup drops into the rear trunk. I just want something that will keep people off the Spyder more so than theft prevention. So inside the trunk should be loud enough.

I do like the install video I watched putting the alarm components under the left side grab handle. Just not sure how water proof it will be. We have been caught in serious South Florida rains without much warning or place to hide.

For power and ground I installed a 12v plug on the alarm setup. This connects into the rear trunk always powered (fuse has been moved) 12v power point.

Pretty sure I need the brown connected. Just need to find a good point to pull switched power that will remain waterproof.

PK

SPYD3R
03-14-2015, 07:11 PM
THE BIG F

check out some of these...
http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/search.do?act=search&sus=&searchkey=motorcycle+alarm+system&catalog=#Homesearch201403
sorry for the non-reply.... but 99% of us really try to do our best to help out...
Dan P
SPYD3R F3-S

RockyMountainRider50
03-14-2015, 11:54 PM
Brock, FYI.... I watched your video and see you did not hook up the switched 12V wire (Brown).
If you do not do this, it will auto ARM or No Auto ARM because the unit has no way to know you turned the key off.

If you leave the brown wire unhooked and you have auto ARM setting on then it has no way to know you turned the key on and thus will keep auto ARMing (it thinks the key is off).
If you hook the brown wire it to always on 12V, then it will never auto ARM as it does not know the key is turned off.

So to have auto ARMing, hooking the brown wire to switched 12V is a must.

Bob

Thanks! Will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PW2013STL
03-15-2015, 07:09 AM
BTW

I found that the solid orange wire to be keyed power and is what I use to power anything that I want to have turn on and off with the key.
Do not use any orange with stripe wires as those tend to be used for things like your rad fan and the extra load could cause the fans to be always on - not that that happened to me :banghead: