PDA

View Full Version : Yet another audio question

Gumbeau
02-26-2015, 08:54 PM
I have a 2014 RTL, and I love her ;). Question; is there any way to listen to the radio through my helmet? My helmet has a Sena SMH10r installed. I use it to listen to the turn by turn instructions from my Zuma 660. As well as make phone calls using my iPhone. Is there any way to make this happen? Further I have music on my iPhone, I'd like to listen to that as well. What equipment do I need to buy to make this happen? Any assistance would be appreciated.

thanks

Pennyrick
02-26-2015, 09:22 PM
I have a 2014 RTL, and I love her ;). Question; is there any way to listen to the radio through my helmet? My helmet has a Sena SMH10r installed. I use it to listen to the turn by turn instructions from my Zuma 660. As well as make phone calls using my iPhone. Is there any way to make this happen? Further I have music on my iPhone, I'd like to listen to that as well. What equipment do I need to buy to make this happen? Any assistance would be appreciated.

thanks

You will need a SENA SM 10 stereo transmitter that can be installed in the back case of your RT. This can be purchased from Can Am with a connector to plug into your sound system that will output the audio to the SM10 that can then be blue toothed to your SENA headset. This deal costs about $275 plus installation by the dealer. Figure about $500 to cover everything.

Or, you can buy the SENA SM 10 from Motorcycle Dave (a sponsor here) for about $125 and install it yourself. You will need the cable that you can make yourself and to connect the SM 10 to your RT's radio that is located under the right side rear armrest. You have to remove the radio and plug the cable in. Here is a video from Finless Bob that shows where than is and what the cable needs to look like.

http://youtu.be/VJ7I1tdYniA <
http://youtu.be/VJ711tdYniA>

Bob may even have a cable that he can supply to you.

finless
03-02-2015, 12:19 PM
I am making much better cables now using the correct connector rather than a home made connector as my video shows.
I am making them for free for people that cannot do it although it's getting a little old now to do but if your in a pinch I will do it. PM me.

All the info for making one with the correct parts is in this thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?54867-Sena-quot-stock-quot-SM10-wiring-to-the-BRP-radio-Make-your-own-Dongle!

Bob

PaladinLV
03-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Out of curiosity, why would one want to install the dongle in the rear rather then in the Frunk?

AJ

You will need a SENA SM 10 stereo transmitter that can be installed in the back case of your RT.

mstella101
03-02-2015, 04:39 PM
On that same note as paladin asked, I have an ST-s with the BRP radio along with the iPod cable(30 pin) that goes in the frunk and before I go any further - myself included- thanks for all the times you keep replying to this dongle thread- WE all appreciate it. I have a Uclear 100 plus bluetooth for my helmet, i'm pretty sure the sena dongle will work??? With the cable that you make is it tough to install in the frunk so i can get bluetooth in my helmet. If so if order the sena from motorcycle dave can you make me a cable. i hope the buttering up i was doing earlier will help move you in a cable making direction! But i know i am not alone in thanking you- i will order whatever i need from your previous posts.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: ok maybe the third guy begging was a little much- haha

Pennyrick
03-02-2015, 05:37 PM
Out of curiosity, why would one want to install the dongle in the rear rather then in the Frunk?

AJ

Because with the factory wiring going the entire length of the Spyder you are running past lots of electronic interference to get to the radio. That gives all kinds of chances for problems. Finless Bob's little cable is about 24 inches long and that is perfect. It also let's you position the IPod or cell phone right next to the Dongle in the back case and that happens to be where the factory cable for both of those is located.

Highwayman2013
03-02-2015, 05:53 PM

thanksTo listen to the music on the phone you can pair the phone directly to your headset. You can also try pairing the phone with the gps then the headset with the gps. You will need the SM-10 to hear the bike's radio.

finless
03-02-2015, 06:43 PM
Lots of complaints of noise and disconnect issues with the BRP SM10 setup due to it being in the frunk.
As stated it is due to a unshielded cable going past the engine with spark plug wires making noise etc.
Thus the cable I made goes to the trunk.

I can make you a cable for your ST. But it would have to be custom as the off the shelf cable parts I can get won't be long enough to reach the frunk. And if you have issues your on your own.

Pm me to discuss options. Again I do it free but you cover parts and shipping costs.

Bob

mstella101
03-03-2015, 12:20 PM
sent pm
thanks again

robmorg
03-03-2015, 02:18 PM

AJBecause with the factory wiring going the entire length of the Spyder you are running past lots of electronic interference to get to the radio. That gives all kinds of chances for problems. Finless Bob's little cable is about 24 inches long and that is perfect. It also let's you position the IPod or cell phone right next to the Dongle in the back case and that happens to be where the factory cable for both of those is located.
:agree: It is really nice to have everything related to audio right there in the trunk. And it is so much more accessible there than in the frunk. I mostly listen to my iPod in the trunk, but I often want to turn my BT dongle off and just listen to music from my phone (Pandora radio or mp3's). Either way my Sena headset also gets input from the GPS. It's nice having all that flexibility where it is easy to reach.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nJNDD7zpBGU/VG0sEKH9SvI/AAAAAAAAAQk/pDtSsSONZr4/w700-h370-no/SM10_700.jpg