PDA

View Full Version : Baker Built Belt Tensioner

spydercamp13
02-26-2015, 08:59 AM
Has anyone bought the Baker Built Belt Tensioner and installed it on there RTS. I have a 2014 RTS and have been thinking about buying a belt tensioner and I see the Baker Built is about $60.00 cheaper than the spyderpops unit. So my question for the owners who bought the Bake Built Tensioner, how's it holding up and working or is this a case of you get what you pay for??
Thanks for any input you might have.

jcthorne
02-26-2015, 09:24 AM
Has anyone bought the Baker Built Belt Tensioner and installed it on there RTS. I have a 2014 RTS and have been thinking about buying a belt tensioner and I see the Baker Built is about $60.00 cheaper than the spyderpops unit. So my question for the owners who bought the Bake Built Tensioner, how's it holding up and working or is this a case of you get what you pay for??

Just dont do it. Get the SmoothSpyder tensioner.

ursamajor35126
02-26-2015, 10:30 AM

I have the Baker Built unit.... went on easily. works well.... no issues yet after about 1000 miles. You do have to trim a bit off the belt guard.... a dremmel works well.

YMMV.

TexGEOas
02-26-2015, 07:24 PM
Try putting a dab of GREASE on the belt TEETH and ride a few minutes to let it distribute.
That was a dealer tip I got and it worked! New belts have deep teeth and don't release easily from the drive sprocket causing it to lag for a millisecond... thus causing it to wobble like a plucked guitar string when it does release. A dab the sized of a pencil eraser will do.

Totally cured my 4100rpm and 5500rpm maddening vibration.

Good luck.

pegasus1300
02-26-2015, 07:29 PM
Try putting a dab of GREASE on the belt TEETH and ride a few minutes to let it distribute.
That was a dealer tip I got and it worked! New belts have deep teeth and don't release easily from the drive sprocket causing it to lag for a millisecond... thus causing it to wobble like a plucked guitar string when it does release. A dab the sized of a pencil eraser will do.

Totally cured my 4100rpm and 5500rpm maddening vibration.

Good luck.

I find your response very interesting. Has anybody tried belt dressing for this problem? I was not aware that the teeth could get hung up in the pulley grooves.Could that little tip reduce belt wear?

Cruzr Joe
02-26-2015, 07:55 PM
If you put the grease on the belt, be sure that it is only about the size of a pea and split that one pea size in about three spots. I forget what type of grease you should use but check with your dealer. I did this on my 2012 RTL and it helped a bunch.

Cruzr Joe

spyder stryder
02-26-2015, 08:42 PM
4000 miles with the baker tensioner, no problems at all.
:D

jimnsusie
02-26-2015, 11:11 PM
If you put the grease on the belt, be sure that it is only about the size of a pea and split that one pea size in about three spots. I forget what type of grease you should use but check with your dealer. I did this on my 2012 RTL and it helped a bunch.

Cruzr Joe

This sounds like a cheaper alternative to fixing a vibration problem. Would that normally be a one time issue?

Cruzr Joe
02-26-2015, 11:16 PM
This sounds like a cheaper alternative to fixing a vibration problem. Would that normally be a one time issue?

I only had to do it one time but i traded it off 6 months later. The grease is available from a dealer, it is about 35.00 for a two ounce or so tube, but maybe as in my case they might give you a drop of to put on your belt.

Cruzr Joe

one2doo
02-26-2015, 11:23 PM
I only had to do it one time but i traded it off 6 months later. The grease is available from a dealer, it is about 35.00 for a two ounce or so tube, but maybe as in my case they might give you a drop of to put on your belt.

Cruzr Joe
Do you know what the grease is called or part# is?

Cruzr Joe
02-26-2015, 11:28 PM
Do you know what the grease is called or part# is?

No i do not, but your dealer should know what grease we are talking about. I will try to find the BRP paper on it.

Cruzr Joe

one2doo
02-26-2015, 11:32 PM
I found it in old post.

etaoin
02-27-2015, 08:44 AM
While the grease solution sounds plausible for curing the "plucking" of the belt humps out of the pulley, wouldn't it also be likely to attract more dirt/debris into the drive train causing other problems?